"earn your spot" mentality gone?

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I remember vividly after Regier was fired that the Nolan/Lafontaine and veteran players agreed that rookies needed to earn their spots and pay their dues. That Regier was fast tracking prospects to replace veteran talent that was leaving.

However, I now feel that whole premise is going out the window. Deslauriers was called up less than a week after being traded for. And now McCabe is playing with the Sabres less than 3 days after he signs his ELC right out of college.

Don't get me wrong I like both players. But I find it a bit hypocritical that they tried to throw Regier under the bus for his personnel decisions, yet the new management is almost doing the same exact thing.

discuss.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Well, our organization isnt very competitive right now so their isn't much of a choice.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
There are 9 players out injured tonight (with another getting injured in the game). Someone has to play

Besides with McCabe, he'll most likely go down to the Amerks next season. Sort of like how last year Ruhwedel was up with Buffalo, then he started with the Amerks this year.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Injuries happened

Not to take a side on the ultimate debate here one way or the other, but there are other guys we could've called up. The OP's not discussing the fact that we had to call people up, it's who we called up.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Not to take a side on the ultimate debate here one way or the other, but there are other guys we could've called up. The OP's not discussing the fact that we had to call people up, it's who we called up.

Hard to argue that Des hadn't earned his call-up due to his play with the Monarchs, unless that didn't count. As for McCabe, his being signed and right on the Sabres was as a carrot to entice him now and was also an attempt to get Risto or Ruhwedel back to the Amerks

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
It's all about injuries, plus we don't have many vets left (Moulson, Ott, Miller, Vanek, Pominville, etc...) are all gone now..no choice for the end of this season, next season, and tbh, the 2015-16 season as well except to play these young guns

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I also think it's a good idea to give young guys a taste right away so they know what they're earning... and then make them earn it.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Hard to argue that Des hadn't earned his call-up due to his play with the Monarchs, unless that didn't count. As for McCabe, his being signed and right on the Sabres was as a carrot to entice him now and was also an attempt to get Risto or Ruhwedel back to the Amerks

Because he's new to the Sabres, it's easy to overlook that Deslauriers has put his time in the AHL. He's off his ELC next year.

ZeroPT*

If we look at the call-ups, most of them were ready or on the verge of being ready and will have a legitimate chance at making the NHL out of camp.
Larsson,Ristolainen come to mind. I don't think Ruhwedel is going to be an NHLer so I won't count him, I've made it clear that Deslauriers should still be in the AHL imo.

I see no problem with it

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Because he's new to the Sabres, it's easy to overlook that Deslauriers has put his time in the AHL. He's off his ELC next year.

Deslauriers has to pass through waivers to be sent down next year so it's not the worst idea to give him a look up here (also by calling him up they didn't have to screw up the forward lines in Rochester)

ZeroPT*

Deslauriers has to pass through waivers to be sent down next year so it's not the worst idea to give him a look up here (also by calling him up they didn't have to screw up the forward lines in Rochester)

which eventually happened :laugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I remember vividly after Regier was fired that the Nolan/Lafontaine and veteran players agreed that rookies needed to earn their spots and pay their dues. That Regier was fast tracking prospects to replace veteran talent that was leaving.

However, I now feel that whole premise is going out the window. Deslauriers was called up less than a week after being traded for. And now McCabe is playing with the Sabres less than 3 days after he signs his ELC right out of college.

Don't get me wrong I like both players. But I find it a bit hypocritical that they tried to throw Regier under the bus for his personnel decisions, yet the new management is almost doing the same exact thing.

discuss.

They're not doing the same thing at all. Our current situation and what happened at the start of the year are not really comparable situations.

Coming into training camp Regier basically handed roster spots to a handful of unprepared kids. They weren't filling in for anyone that was out, they were on the roster and part of the 21 skaters we were going to carry. Regier also didn't seem care how these decisions impacted Rochester. As in Larsson and Risto starting in Rochester would be great for the Amerks and their development

Fast forward to now. Murray is dealing with an incredible amount of injuries here and in Rochester. It severally limits his options. He is also trying to keep some semblance of an effective team in Rochester. Thats why Deslauriers was called up before ever getting to Rochester. Murray was trying to keep some continuity down there by not calling anyone up. Unfortunately more injuries hit down there and up here.

McCabe's situation is similar to Rudy's last year. He was promised time in the NHL in order to get him to sign his ELC. And just like Rudy last year, it doesn't mean he is on the roster going forward next season. McCabe's signing also would have given Murray the option to send one of Risto/Rudy back to Rochester as reinforcements to get them back on track. Unfortunately more injuries hit and Tallinder was out. Thus keeping those two here.

The roster Regier wanted at the start of the year included these unproven/unprepared kids. So them being in the lineup was what he wanted. The current situation we are dealing with is not at all what Murray wanted post deadline. If the team was healthy and he had his way Risto, Rudy, Larsson and DesLauriers would be in Rochester.

The bottom line is if we were healthy right now none of those players would be in the Sabres lineup. Whereas at the start of the year those kids were the lineup.

When we get to training camp and these kids need to battle to be on the roster. It will reaffirm your faith in the earn it philosophy.

Last edited:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
They're not doing the same thing at all. Our current situation and what happened at the start of the year are not really comparable situations.

Coming into training camp Regier basically handed roster spots to a handful of unprepared kids. They weren't filling in for anyone that was out, they were on the roster and part of the 21 skaters we were going to carry. Regier also didn't seem care how these decisions impacted Rochester. As in Larsson and Risto starting in Rochester would be great for the Amerks and their development

Fast forward to now. Murray is dealing with an incredible amount of injuries here and in Rochester. It severally limits his options. He is also trying to keep some semblance of an effective team in Rochester. Thats why Deslauriers was called up before ever getting to Rochester. Murray was trying to keep some continuity down there by not calling anyone up. Unfortunately more injuries hit down there and up here.

McCabe's situation is similar to Rudy's last year. He was promised time in the NHL in order to get him to sign his ELC. And just like Rudy last year, it doesn't mean he is on the roster going forward next season. McCabe's signing also would have given Murray the option to send one of Risto/Rudy back to Rochester as reinforcements to get them back on track. Unfortunately more injuries hit and Tallinder was out. Thus keeping those two here.

The roster Regier wanted at the start of the year included these unproven/unprepared kids. So them being in the lineup was what he wanted. The current situation we are dealing with is not at all what Murray wanted post deadline. If the team was healthy and he had his way Risto, Rudy, Larsson and DesLauriers would be in Rochester.

The bottom line is if we were healthy right now none of those players would be in the Sabres lineup. Whereas at the start of the year those kids were the lineup.

When we get to training camp and these kids need to battle to be on the roster. It will reaffirm your faith in the earn it philosophy.

Nice job. Agreed

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
I think there would be more of a debate on the actual lines and the earn your spot mentality rather than earn your roster spot mentality.

The earn your roster spot is pretty black and white due to injuries since Murray has been GM.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Honestly, they have done a good job of getting a lot of guys at least a look this year with the call ups.

Also, they have bypassed some kids that have earned looks in favor of sheltered the kids as much as possible.

Jake Mc is the only real one that goes against the age old earn your spot. But, it is only for a handful of games and he could get Rudy's down to Rochester next season.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
It was never "earn your spot", it's more "we don't want these young kids on this garbage NHL team". I hope it doesn't backfire, I'd be pissed if I were Pysyk, Risto, maybe a few others... since I did earn my spot. I'm better at hockey than bums like Weber and Sulzer.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It was never "earn your spot", it's more "we don't want these young kids on this garbage NHL team". I hope it doesn't backfire, I'd be pissed if I were Pysyk, Risto, maybe a few others... since I did earn my spot. I'm better at hockey than bums like Weber and Sulzer.

If they take the long view, getting more ice time in Rochester is better for them than playing in the NHL right now.

Now the reduced pay checks and riding the bus sucks. But, it is better for them long term.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
unfortunately, you have to suit up 20 guys a night and with all these injuries, the team has had no choice.

Next year, I'd like to see all these guys back in Rochester, playing together, learning how to be professionals together. The goal next year will still be get the highest pick possible. 2015-16, bring them all up together and start the LONG process of turning these kids into winners and hopefully one day not too far away, champions!

And by all of them, I mean, Armia, Grigorenko, McCabe, Ristolainen, Deslauriers, Ruhwedel, as well as others!

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

I doubt those guys are so dumb they don't understand that most of the other players on the team CAN'T be sent down and understand why they are. Y'know, waivers.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

discuss.

DesLauriers came up because of injuries at forwards so he was an easier call up over other players in Rochester who had developed chemistry with each other + his ELC is finishing so they wanted to see his work first hand.

McCabe---its what was needed in order to get him to sign and not go back to Wisconsin then risk sitting out to become a UFA in mid Augusust.

Now there has been extensive injuries---because of them you dont have the bodies to compete fairly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad