Early Season Report Cards

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Morning Gents,

Call it being bored at work and just looking for something to do, but I figured this could be nice to see who ranks who where so far this season.

My Level of Play Categories:

Godly
Good
Okay
Meh
Bad

Forwards

Godly:

- Gaudreau

Good:

- Bennett
- Frolik
- Jooris
- Hudler (if it wasn't for his point totals he would be rated Okay)

Okay:

- Monahan
- Jones
- Grant

Meh:

- Stajan
- Raymond
- Bollig
- Ferland
- Bouma
- Colborne

Bad:

- Backlund

Few of the Meh's could be easily argued for outright bad (Raymond and Bollig in particular)

Defense

Godly:

- Brodie

Good:

- Gio (getting better as time goes on in my opinion)

Okay:

- Engelland
- Smid

Meh:

- Wideman
- Hamilton
- Kulak

Bad:

Russell

Goaltending

Not even gonna touch this one when our best goalies save percentage is 87.1%

Edit: Post #6000

bWo*

Godly- Brodie, Johnny
Good- Gio, Bennett, Frolik
Bad- Everyone else

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'll keep it simple

The Good
Brodie
Gaudreau
Bennett
Frolik

The Bad
Everyone else

The Ugly
Team defense

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
The Godlike
Gaudreau
Brodie

The Good
Bennett
Frolik

The OK
Hudler
Engelland
Giordano

The Bad
Everyone else

The Horrid
Brad Treliving

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I've italicized guys I expect to get one degree better as the season goes along, bold-italicized guys I'm thinking get two degrees better.

Godly:
- Brodie
- Gaudreau
- Bennett after slow-ish start

Good:
- Giordano
- Smid
- Stajan

Okay:
- Frolik
- Engelland
- Kulak
- Hudler
- Jooris

Meh:
- Wideman
- Hamilton
- Russell
- Jones
- Monahan
- Backlund
- Ferland
- Bollig
- Colborne
- Bouma

Bad:
- Hiller
- Ramo
- Ortio

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The Horrid
Brad Treliving

Oh-ok-GIF.gif

Care to elaborate?

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Forwards:

Backlund: F
Bennett: B+
Bollig: D-
Bouma: D+
Colbourne: B-
Ferland: D+
Frolik: A
Gaudreau: A+
Grant: C
Hudler: D
Jones: C
Jooris: D
Monahan: D-
Raymond: C+
Stajan: F

Defense:

Brodie: A++++++++++
Engelland: A
Gio: D+
Hamilton: F
Nakladal: N/A
Russell: F+
Smid: B+
Wideman: F

Goalies:

Hiller: D-
Ortio: F
Ramo: F+

Hartley: D

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Oh-ok-GIF.gif

Care to elaborate?

We have a laughable situation wherein three bad goalies are ruining our season very quickly. That doesn't look like good management to me, and it's proved thus far to be a disastrous decision.

He also waived a great heart and soul player while keeping far worse players instead. That, also, doesn't look like good management to me.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Forwards:

Bennett: A-
Bollig: D-
Bouma: n/a
Colborne: B-
Ferland: n/a
Frolik: A-
Grant: C
Hudler: B-
Jones: B-
Jooris: D
Monahan: C-
Raymond: C+
Stajan: D-

Defense:

Brodie: A+
Engelland: B+
Gio: C-
Hamilton: D
Nakladal: N/A
Russell: D
Smid: B-
Wideman: D

Goalies:

Hiller: D
Ortio: F
Ramo: F

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
We have a laughable situation wherein three bad goalies are ruining our season very quickly. That doesn't look like good management to me, and it's proved thus far to be a disastrous decision.

He also waived a great heart and soul player while keeping far worse players instead. That, also, doesn't look like good management to me.

These same "bad goalies" did pretty darn well last year. The three goalie issue is definitely a thing and resulted in Byron being waived. But him being claimed is as much bad luck as anything else. Kassian doesn't go to rehab and Byron doesn't get picked up. Hard to blame that on trevling. And Byron wasn't the only one waived.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
These same "bad goalies" did pretty darn well last year. The three goalie issue is definitely a thing and resulted in Byron being waived. But him being claimed is as much bad luck as anything else. Kassian doesn't go to rehab and Byron doesn't get picked up. Hard to blame that on trevling. And Byron wasn't the only one waived.

I absolutely blame the goalie situation on Treliving. Seems really amateur. And I don't think the goalies did "pretty darn well" last year, they were both thoroughly mediocre.

Ramo was 2.60/.912 and Hiller was 2.36/.918. Placing them at 50th and 31st overall respectively. Ortio, for his 6 games, was 61st.

What was the plan here? Am I crazy for thinking that the first priority of any manager should be to have a decent starting goalie? Not three backup-calibre goalies and hopes that one might break-out?

Edit - If there's anyone who doesn't think this is our biggest problem, then I'd love to hear why:

2nknz44.png

Last edited:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I absolutely blame the goalie situation on Treliving. Seems really amateur. And I don't think the goalies did "pretty darn well" last year, they were both thoroughly mediocre.

Ramo was 2.60/.912 and Hiller was 2.36/.918. Placing them at 50th and 31st overall respectively. Ortio, for his 6 games, was 61st.

What was the plan here? Am I crazy for thinking that the first priority of any manager should be to have a decent starting goalie? Not three backup-calibre goalies and hopes that one might break-out?

Edit - If there's anyone who doesn't think this is our biggest problem, then I'd love to hear why:

2nknz44.png

well it could be, but wouldn't having 3 different goalies who are typically in the 0.910 range now ALL playing between .860 & .870 suggest the team in front of them is systematically letting them down? That's what the common denominator is here. At least that's what science would suggest :dunno:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Bennett: A
Bollig: D+
Bouma: D-
Colbourne: C
Ferland: D
Frolik: B+