Early season award finalists

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
(Doesn’t even PK)

Matthews is good defensively but it’s not his time yet
I really hate this argument. You can train 3rd or 4th line grinder to be a very good pker. A lot of coaches don't like to burn minutes on their best forwards pking. I know Babcock doesn't because Datsyuk didn't pk much either and nobody is arguing his defensive prowess.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I really hate this argument. You can train 3rd or 4th line grinder to be a very good pker. A lot of coaches don't like to burn minutes on their best forwards pking. I know Babcock doesn't because Datsyuk didn't pk much either and nobody is arguing his defensive prowess.

Right it was semi sarcastic, but Matthews’s won’t win the selke this year... maybe one day

Reactions: MajorLeafsFan

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
I would like to consider Matthews a Selke finalist, but I can't yet. He'll win one or more over the course of his career, just not one this year.

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011

This is wrong because John Tavares is on the Islanders first PK unit.

If Matthews is going to be considered over players like Kopitar, than so should Tavares.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This is wrong because John Tavares is on the Islanders first PK unit.

If Matthews is going to be considered over players like Kopitar, than so should Tavares.
[mod] I said it's based on a coaches preference. How does one coach having a different preference make wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
[mod] I said it's based on a coaches preference. How does one coach having a different preference make wrong?

"A lot of coaches don't like to burn minutes on their best forwards pking". Babs isn't every coach in the league. From what I've seen, most coaches put their best defensive players on the PK if they are simply good enough to PK. There's a good amount of first and second line centers that are part of their teams PK.

Last edited by a moderator:

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
I agree that Matthews shouldn't win the Selke this soon, but what about the Lady Byng? Only took 1 penalty so far which is very impressive since he's always engaged around the puck.

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
Kinda hard to put one of Tampa's players as MVP when there is two of them?
I sort of wanted to put both of them in, But Bob is having a stellar season, and he was a finalist last year. And Pietrangelo is having an incredible season on St. Louis' back end, that I had to put him there.

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
How is McDavid not on everyone's list?
He's not playing with the same team as last year. They've almost completely lost their confidence (this might change at the halfway point). Also at this point there are quite a few more players that deserve it more than him.
He is almost on exactly the same pace for points (1.2ppg - 98pts over 82gp) as he was last year.
But he's playing on what is so far one of the worst teams in the NHL (people tend to overlook bad teams). He be in the race at the end, and I still think the Oilers will make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad