Early Reactions: How do the Hawks stack up in the Central Division

Retail1LO*

Obviously it's early on, but, what's your thoughts about the competition within the division? We obviously left points on the ice against Tampa and St. Louis, but I think we've looked pretty solid outside of our penalty kill and giving up a few too many goals per game.

Thus far, outside of Winnipeg & Nashville, the remaining 4 teams in our division have amassed a total of 2 regulation losses in 15 games. I see the top four spots in this division being hotly contested all the way down to the wire in April. I'm excited to see how the season unfolds. I'm even more excited about the return to the divisional playoff format. We're in for some tough draws, but I can't wait to see some regular season rivals turn into frequent post season opponents. The playoffs need more animosity and what better way to form some by playing some of the same teams year in and year out.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Still think outside of Blues that no one else in division is threat to Hawks yet

Avs look like they are on upswing and Stars/Wild have moments (Like Jets) but just aren't close to Hawks at this time

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
At our best, we're the best in the Central, bar none.

Only question, right now, is if we play down to our opponents too often and let enough points slip through to let someone catch up. Hopefully, a habit we kick by the playoffs.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I think it's too early to tell for sure. No one expected Colorado to start undefeated. I pretty sure when things settle down as the season goes on the best teams in the division will be the St. Louis and Chicago.

Last edited:

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Colorado looks fast, like they've got an extra jump in their step. Fast teams tend to give the Hawks more trouble than physical teams, so that head to head matchup might be interesting.

But as for the standings, the Hawks should still take this division without much trouble.

Even with the struggles, it's too early to think otherwise.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
I think it's too early to tell for sure. No one expected Colorado to start undefeated. I pretty sure when things settle down as the season goes on the best teams in the division will be the St. Louis and Chicago.

I have been expecting both Avs and Oilers to be solid Playoff teams for the past two years based on:

1.) Tons of high picks from last several years
2.) How well they have played/ skated vs. the Hawks in past 3-4 years.

I was shocked (based on head-to-heads w/ Hawks that neither have made Playoffs)

With that said... Roy must be a great coach- or will the Avs fade as in the past?
I look at GAA- I think the Avs are for REAL! And Like a broken clock- I will eventually be right on this one.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I think Colorado is one of those teams that will fall as quickly as they rose. Roy is obviously doing a great job, but I don't think they are a Cup contender. They could very easily sneak into the playoffs, though.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Honestly wouldn't be at all surprised to see them finish 2nd or 3rd in our division, not in the slightest. That team has had so much dormant talent the last few years. All they needed was someone who had a clue and they have more than that now in Roy. Sacco held them back big time.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
They have some serious talent. It all starts at center with them. Easily one of the deepest teams in the league down the middle.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
And possibly the most talented goalie in the NHL, at least top 3. Talent isn't the problem at all there. They just need to get it performing and it looks as if they have.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
And possibly the most talented goalie in the NHL, at least top 3. Talent isn't the problem at all there. They just need to get it performing and it looks as if they have.

Are you saying that Varly has top-three potential or that his is a top-three goalie? Because if it's the latter, I'm going to have to disagree. It's Lundqvist, Quick, and Rinne (no order) are the clearly the three best.

Hey, look, Colorado has some scary forward talent. The reason I think they can very well fall off and not be one of the top seeds is due to the fact their defense is pretty meh. They have Landeskog, ROR, PAP, Stastny, MacKinnon, Duchene, etc., but you can't expect them to keep scoring goals at ridiculous clips.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Varlamov's skills are just as good or better than any of those three. Obviously, it hasn't shown very often but when that guy is on, he is just as good.

I think he and Quick are right there at the top in terms of talent/skill. Now, OBVIOUSLY Varlamov wasn't even top 15 overall coming in because he hasn't put it all together, but he has shown flashes.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I'm pretty sure any NHL goalie is outrageous when they are on. Look at what Ben Bishop did to us last weekend. That was an elite performance from an average netminder.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'm talking about talent. The movements he can make, flexibility, speed, vision, everything. Quick is the only one at or above his level IMO. Now obviously that's not what wins games in the NHL on its own, but you'd rather have it to work with than not.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Colorado's definitely the surprise of the league so far, but too early to prognosticate on them. Are they a great team that was being held back by a subpar coach or are they just a flash in the pan and will fall back to earth? Only time will tell.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Not interested in who wins the Stanley Cup of October. This is still training camp for the real teams.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
It's too early to tell. Remember when the Wild had a killer 2 months then missed the playoffs by 14 points?

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
We have controlled play big time for a huge majority this season. A few big mistakes and a lousy PK has cost us, but overall we have looked to be the far better team each game. Dropped a few points we should have had, but considering the new guys and the Cup hangover we weren't going to start like last season. We will be fine.

committedindian86

Bedard SZN
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago, IL
Chicago and St. Louis are the only two teams that have a shot at the division title. I can see Colorado being good enough in a few years, they have great forwards and a solid netminder. The defense isn't up to par with the Hawks or Blues though.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Agree with ColdSteel. Varlamov has always been an extremely talented goalie IMO.

Agree. Most goalies are over-rated! Look at King Lundquist- bad w/ a bad team in front of him. Quick was all world til he ran into Hawks. That said- CC contract to me was too long- Money would/should have been saved for the Hossa replacement that will be needed sooner that later.

I can't name more than 2 Avs D-men off the top of my head- which leads me to think that what ever strings Roy is pulling - well they are working- and Roy's system has only let up 4 or 5 golas in 5 games... and Ducks aren't offensively challenged.

Avs are for real my friends.

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013
Not interested in who wins the Stanley Cup of October. This is still training camp for the real teams.

Hard to justify that the speed/precision out of the gate for the Hawks wasn't near or at playoff level. Ref even said so in the 3rd period of the Blues game. The Hawks have come into the season extremely well prepared once again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad