Early Norris favourite

Early Norris favourite

• Total voters

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Some solid dmen this year worthy of Norris talk. Ekblad has carried the Panthers to the top of the league, as has McAvoy with the Bruins. Hedman of course is still as good as they come and Doughty is seeing an incredible return to form to bring LA close to the playoffs. Of course we have Makar and Hughes and then surprised play of Nurse and Petry. Thoughts?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Hedman has the reputation now, so he is likely #1. Over time it seems McAvoy and Makar will be in the running as well.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Over 60% of the answers are either Hedman or Hughes. Unreal times

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Some solid dmen this year worthy of Norris talk. Ekblad has carried the Panthers to the top of the league, as has McAvoy with the Bruins. Hedman of course is still as good as they come and Doughty is seeing an incredible return to form to bring LA close to the playoffs. Of course we have Makar and Hughes and then surprised play of Nurse and Petry. Thoughts?

Those players aren't in the same category anymore.

Hughes has had a brutal start defensively, getting scored on more than any player in the league, by a big margin.

If the Norris is handed out today Makar should win it, he's clearly #1 in both the analytical category and the "holy shit did you see that?" category.

There's a decent chance Hedman catches up later, of course.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Those players aren't in the same category anymore.

Hughes has had a brutal start defensively, getting scored on more than any player in the league, by a big margin.

If the Norris is handed out today Makar should win it, he's clearly #1 in both the analytical category and the "holy shit did you see that?" category.

There's a decent chance Hedman catches up later, of course.

omg Makar could be the new EK. He actually reminds me of Karlsson pre Matt Cooke in 2013, that wow factor.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
omg Makar could be the new EK. He actually reminds me of Karlsson pre Matt Cooke in 2013, that wow factor.

I prefer Ryan Whitney's comparison "Barry Sanders in skates". There's never been a defenseman that's moved like Makar. He's a fast-twitch freak.

Reactions: Ben White

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Fox should also be an option. He carries the Rangers defense on his back.

I’m not sure I understand the Fox argument right now. Maybe if he heats up the rest of the way, but as it stands, it’s a tough case.

If you’re looking for a heavy minute defenceman on a sub-par defensive core, Doughty is probably your guy. Maybe a guy like Pionk if you’re looking for another guy who’s playing on a defence with a lack of talent.

Not that I think it’s a great idea to just pick guys who play on defences without a lot of defensive help, but Fox probably wouldn’t be my first choice under that criteria.

Last edited:
Reactions: MNRube

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m not sure I understand the Fox argument right now. Maybe if he heats up the rest of the way, but as it stands, it’s a tough case.

If you’re looking for a heavy minute defenceman on a sub-par defensive core, Doughty is probably your guy. Maybe a guy like Pionk if you’re looking for another guy who’s playing on a defence with a lack of talent.

Not that I think it’s a great idea to just pick guys who play on defences without a lot of defensive help, but Fox probably wouldn’t be my first choice under that criteria.

I'm not saying he's winning the Norris this year, but he's better than Petry, Carlson, Hughes, in my opinion.

I think the top five this year is going to be some combination of Hedman, Makar, McAvoy, Doughty, and Ekblad. After that, I'm putting Adam Fox's name in the discussion, and I don't know that there are all that many after that better than him.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'm not saying he's winning the Norris this year, but he's better than Petry, Carlson, Hughes, in my opinion.

I think the top five this year is going to be some combination of Hedman, Makar, McAvoy, Doughty, and Ekblad. After that, I'm putting Adam Fox's name in the discussion, and I don't know that there are all that many after that better than him.

Gotcha.

I’ve enjoyed watching Fox in my Rangers viewings this season. He’s a real poised defenceman. No doubt he’ll be a huge part of their success moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00