Early look: 2022 QMJHL prospects shortlist

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
We're less than one year away from the 2022 NHL Draft!

With the QMJHL draft, CHL import draft and trading period now done, we have a good idea of the make-up of most teams for next season, and who top prospects will be playing with.

Here's a list of major prospects to look out for. The main storylines are Gatineau/Halifax/Drummondville with very young teams with tons of solid draft eligible players, as well as the fact there are a lot of small players who could fall due to size (Verreault, Cote being the two main ones)

1. Tristan Luneau, D (Gatineau)
-A responsible defenseman with high-end skills and skating ability. Potential top-10 pick.

2. Nathan Gaucher, C (Québec)
-A 6'3 two-way center that registered more than a point per game last season.

3. Antonin Verreault, C (Gatineau)
-An extremely talented and shifty center who could fall due to his size. Could record more than a point per game this upcoming season.

4. Markus Vidicek, C (Halifax)
-A responsible two-way center with high hockey sense who can do it all on the ice.

5. Pier-Olivier Roy, D (Victoriaville)
-A smooth-skating dman with high hockey sense that played a big role in winning the Q championship this year as a 16 years old rookie.

6. Justin Cote, W (Drummondville)
-A pure goal scorer who is unfortunately only 5'6. The next Cole Caufield? Has the potential to score 30+ goals in his draft year.

7. Samuel Savoie, W (Gatineau)
-A skilled winger that likes to go to the tough areas.

8. Maveric Lamoureux, D (Drummondville)
-A huge, mobile 6'5 dman who can skate, hit, pass and defend well.

9. Vincent Filion, G (Moncton)
-A 6'0 goaltender with high potential who could win the starter's role in Moncton.

10. Jordan Dumais, W (Halifax)
-A smallish winger with high hockey sense and passing abilities.

11. Luke Woodworth, C (Drummondville)
-A high octane offensive center that lacks size.

12. Leighton Carruthers, C (Rouyn-Noranda)
-A smart, physical center with some offensive skills that was just traded to Rouyn for more ice time.

13. Noah Warren, D (Gatineau)
-A huge blueliner that likes the physical stuff.

14. James Swan, W (Halifax)
-A small offensive winger that has a wide arsenal of skills.

15. Charles-Edward Gravel, G (Blainville-Boisbriand)
-A 6'1 goaltender that took over in the playoffs and did well as a rookie. Cousin of former Chicago draft pick Alexis Gravel.

16. Riley Mercer, G (Drummondville)
-A 6'1 goaltender who is the brother of NJ prospect Dawson Mercer.

17. Maxim Barbashev, F (Moncton)
-A nicely talented forward who had a point per game in his first year in NA. The brother of Ivan Barbashev.

18. Jeremy Langlois, D (Cape Breton)
-A smart defenseman that skates well and is very responsible defensively. Should be a first-pairing guy this year.

19. Yoan Loshing, W (Moncton)
-A highly talented forward who should get a ton of ice time this upcoming season.

20. Sam Oliver, C (Charlottetown)
-A skilled center with decent size coming off a solid rookie season.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Where would you rank Jacob Mathieu and Donovan Arsenault?

Mathieu impressed me everytime I watched him play but he's also small like many of the top forwards in this age group. Arsenault has the size though.

Nathan Gaucher, I see him like a bigger Dawson Mercer. Statistically his development is similar to Mercer's so far and being nominated for best defensive forward in the Q at 17 is impressive. Nominees are usually 19-20.

Last edited:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Where would you rank Jacob Mathieu and Donovan Arsenault?

Mathieu impressed me everytime I watched him play but he's also small like many of the top forwards in this age group. Arsenault has the size though.

Nathan Gaucher, I see him like a bigger Dawson Mercer. Statistically his development is similar to Mercer's so far and being nominated for best defensive forward in the Q at 17 is impressive. Nominees are usually 19-20.

Donovan Arsenault is a good bet, he does have size and skills. Rouyn will have a ton of depth at forward next year, with the addition of 2 Euros and Carruthers. He will need to compete for ice time. He is certainly someone to keep an eye on.

Mathieu should have top-6 ice time in Rimouski next year. If he finds his stride and builds on his solid rookie year he could be in the conversation. But there are already many smallish forwards ahead of him like Verreault, Cote, Woodworth, Dumais, Vidicek, Savoie and Swan. As of now he is clearly not on their level, but things can change.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Will be interesting to see what euros come over

It's hard to tell if any of those guys deserve to be on the top-20 as of now since I don't know many of them, and they are not high profile names:

Nils Fenenko
Pavol Stetka
Luka Gomboc
Jonas Taibel
Vsevolod Komarov
Alexander Lazarev
Daniil Bourash
Jakub Hujer
Tomas Cibulka
Nikita Prishchepov
Yegor Goryunov

Perhaps someone can share more info if any of these players are expected to be drafted next year in the NHL.

Simon Nemec and Ivan Miroschnichenko are not expected to join the Q

Reactions: hellwar9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad