Early Dobber 2020 Top 31 NHL Draft Rankings & Scouting Reports

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Thanks a lot for this, love reading these things, especially on the Euros I haven’t seen much of. This draft is going to be bonkers from its top-end talent to its incredible depth. Things can change in a year, but I think I like it far more a year ahead than any since 2015. I’m sure the order of guys will change a lot, and there will be the regular few fallers and some guys who come from nowhere to enter the top-15.

I don’t really have any criticisms, but I think Kyle Crnkovic should have at least made your honourable mentions. Super smart and active player who I think will explode offensively next season and challenge Zary for top WHL guy.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
As a Rangers fan, 2020 is a great year to suck and probably will be our worst year out of the rebuild, the first round is stacked. Imo 2020>2015 aside from McDavid though Lafreniere is a monster as well. I still don’t know much about this class aside from a few names so this was nice to see. What’s up with Gunler though? I remember a few months ago he was supposedly challenging Laf

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Is Cole Perfetti a 2020 draft prospect? No way he is not a 1st round talent.
He’s ranked at #5. He was previously ranked at #4, but I’ve been extremely impressed with the play of 16 year old men’s league captain Jan Mysak.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Oh, interesting. I've always thought of this as the year of Swedish forwards, but I guess the Finnish forwards might not be that much worse.

Refreshing to see pretty accurate analysis of the Finnish players for once, makes it seem like you've actually watched them - more than be said for the vast majority of reports I've read so props for that.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
As a Rangers fan, 2020 is a great year to suck and probably will be our worst year out of the rebuild, the first round is stacked. Imo 2020>2015 aside from McDavid though Lafreniere is a monster as well. I still don’t know much about this class aside from a few names so this was nice to see. What’s up with Gunler though? I remember a few months ago he was supposedly challenging Laf
Gunler is one of the older prospects in the draft. He’s been very good but produced around the same level as the other two Swedes in the end. It’ll be interesting to see how the three of them will do in the SHL next year but as for now they’ll be hanging around the 6-10 range. The depth in this draft is incredible, Gunler is someone who would be considered the third best prospect in the 2019 draft, but in this draft the top end is stacked.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Oh, interesting. I've always thought of this as the year of Swedish forwards, but I guess the Finnish forwards might not be that much worse.

Refreshing to see pretty accurate analysis of the Finnish players for once, makes it seem like you've actually watched them - more than be said for the vast majority of reports I've read so props for that.
Thank you!

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Gunler is one of the older prospects in the draft. He’s been very good but produced around the same level as the other two Swedes in the end. It’ll be interesting to see how the three of them will do in the SHL next year but as for now they’ll be hanging around the 6-10 range. The depth in this draft is incredible, Gunler is someone who would be considered the third best prospect in the 2019 draft, but in this draft the top end is stacked.
How would Perfetti compare to the 2019 draft? He’s the guy I’m looking at for the Rangers

I really need to start watching some 2020 guys

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
He’s ranked at #5. He was previously ranked at #4, but I’ve been extremely impressed with the play of 16 year old men’s league captain Jan Mysak.
My bad, I totally skipped over him while reading the list. Great job, the top 10 looks quite dynamic next year.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
How would Perfetti compare to the 2019 draft? He’s the guy I’m looking at for the Rangers

I really need to start watching some 2020 guys
I’m a very big Perfetti fan. His vision is the best I’ve seen in the CHL at his age since McDavid. It’s a real treat to watch, and even since the additions of Tippett and McLeod, his level has elevated with better players capitalizing on his skill.

I would place him third in the 2019 draft, closer to the top two than the Byram Cozens Turcotte group.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Is that different from something anyone has said?

He must be a hell of player because I cant remember the last time I have seen a guy with Byfield's size, speed and skating as a 16 year old since Eric Lindros. (Not saying you are wrong just watching Byfield's game evolve and how good he has been the last 20 games or so really shows how good this draft is). To me his game and what his max potential is its hard as a sens fan to think that Lafrennier will be the better player when they are fully developed.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Mild typo note: you have Justin Sourdif of the Vancouver Giants listed as being in the QMJHL. Pretty sure if they changed leagues mid-playoffs it might complicate things. It also means I might've missed the part where my hometown was annexed by Quebec. :laugh:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
This top 15 is filthy stacked. I've been on the hype train for this draft since before the 2018 draft.

Reactions: Nucks2477

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Thanks for the list, it's good to see some new names to read up on.

One guy not mentioned is Dylan Holloway. He'll be at Wisconsin next year and I think is a definite 1st round threat. If anything, it'll be fun to follow a draft eligible player already playing in the NCAA.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada

One guy not mentioned is Dylan Holloway. He'll be at Wisconsin next year and I think is a definite 1st round threat. If anything, it'll be fun to follow a draft eligible player already playing in the NCAA.
I agree! I’ve only seen highlights of him because of the AJHL being low on my priority list so I didn’t firmly place him on the list.

Reactions: covfefe

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

Absolutely, he has the talent and physical strengths to push the top 10 picks. I think he and Crnkovic are the greatest “omissions” from this list. I hesitate to call them that because it’s way too early for that kind of language and everyone listed is deserving of their spot for now.

Reactions: covfefe

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Absolutely, he has the talent and physical strengths to push the top 10 picks. I think he and Crnkovic are the greatest “omissions” from this list. I hesitate to call them that because it’s way too early for that kind of language and everyone listed is deserving of their spot for now.

Jake Sanderson and Marat Khusnutdinov are two others who were missing. Its hard to make these types of lists though so far before the draft. Not an easy task, and no one knows what they are saying. Its all conjecture.

Edit: Niederbach could be another, but I think he's missed a full year. I've never seen him play, but some say he's very good.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I find Holtz fascinating because he doesn’t really flash elite skills, but his mastery of the basic skills is elite. He really drives play as a winger. Doesn’t dangle, but always makes the right play/read.

Next season will be illustrative as the roster for J20 will open up for him while he’ll be good enough to play for the men’s side and be productive considering how many holes they’ll have to fill.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Jake Sanderson and Marat Khusnutdinov are two others who were missing. Its hard to make these types of lists though so far before the draft. Not an easy task, and no one knows what they are saying. Its all conjecture.

Edit: Niederbach could be another, but I think he's missed a full year. I've never seen him play, but some say he's very good.
Where would you have Sanderson among the American crop? Could you give a top-5?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad