OT: Earliest hockey memory watching a pro/college game

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
A recent exchange regarding the Raleigh IceCaps has me thinking of a fun thread. We don't often get the opportunity to talk about ourselves in a relatively on-topic sense, so why not get to know each other a bit with stories of watching a "real" hockey game for the first time. And yes, in fact, I'm hoping that each one of you treats this as a challenge to one-up the person's story just ahead of yours. Have some fun with this, why don't ya.

With that said, I'm not exactly setting a high bar right out of the gate...

I was about 8 years old living in Boise ID when my stepdad took me and my mom to see the Boise Blades in ~1978. He grew up in Nyack NY and was a pretty typical but above-average New York athlete: played quarterback for his HS team and moved on to lacrosse when his college football dreams didn't materialize at the University of New Hampshire. Typical to the region, he had an appreciation for hockey and wanted us to experience it in-person. Incidentally, these days he considers the Canes his team that he casually follows from his remote post (still in Boise).

Back to the game. I remember being impressed/shocked how violent it was. I was a big football fan, but seeing the NFL on TV was nothing like the sights, sounds, and smells of this game that was straight outta Slapshot. "Barn" is nearly cliche', but is so apt to describe this venue that I struggle to separate my memories of it from an indoor rodeo my grandmother took me to a couple of years later. Like, if I didn't know that I saw the events in different cities, I'd probably spin yarn that they were played in the same building...that's how similar they felt to my still-developing brain.

One of the players was also a quarterback of the Boise State Broncos football team. For some odd reason it has stuck with me that he had a very French-sounding name. Anyway, he was one of the bigger players on the ice, and as such he was making it his mission to bring physicality to the game. He landed a number big hits, intensely firing up both the crowd and the opponent. Well, late-70s hockey being what it was no matter what level you played, the other team decided they weren't going to stand for any of his shit, so they went after him to the point of distraction. I know they engaged him in at least two fights, possibly more, and of course there were ancillary fights happening here and there. It was the kind of shitshow you can imagine a late-70s single-A hockey game might devolve into.

And to my 8-year old eyes, it was glorius.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
My earliest memory is learning to play on an outdoor rink in New Haven, CT. I might’ve been about 8? Had never watched hockey before but fell in love. After that another is going to the Dave Roberts summer camps at Conn College and learning how to skate backwards and having significant improvements. Then going to games at Yale, Providence College, Brown, and one at BU. College hockey is one of the things I miss most about living in CT/RI.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
99-00 season. Was 5 or 6 years old, new to the Triangle, sad I was leaving my friends in my old city. My parents had never been NHL fans but were contemporaries with Adam Oates and Darren Puppa at RPI, so knew the game, the rules, and knew taking me to a pro game would be a fun experience.

I have two distinct memories of who scored the first goal I saw so it was either Shane Willis or Ron Francis (forgive me, I was like 6). I also distinctly remember turning to my parents and exclaiming “wow, he’s really good” for both. My other memory is that the stadium nachos were very good.

I know this isn’t the prompt but feels like a natural extension to the narrative. We continued to go to a handful of games per year but I was decidedly not an “everyday” fan (again, was 6). A few years later, we went on a big family cruise in late spring 2002. Oceanic television technology wasn’t great, we had like 3 channels on the TV in the room, and one of them was showing the Canes in the series clinching game against Montreal (8-2). My 20-year-old memory always thinks Erik Cole scored a hat trick in that game, but the box score shows he only scored 2. When we got home from that trip, I watched the rest of the playoffs like I was a lifelong fan, and have distinct memories of dismay specifically of Chris Chelios lifting the Cup for whatever reason, he makes me sad to this day. From that point on I became an “every game” fan and have been ever since. We got a 10-pack of season tickets starting in 03-04 and had them until I went to college (my parents are still fans but not as diehard), and when given the choice, my sister and I chose to buy the playoff ticket package in ‘06 instead of a family trip to Disney World (time has proven that choice to be an excellent one).

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yep, Icecaps were my first live hockey. I was in my twenties and it was a reliable date night.

I suspect a lot of guys have "the girl that got away" and I was dating mine during that time. She was a tiny blonde, a former dancer with huge green eyes. Sigh. Anyway, we went to a playoff game, I don't even remember who it was against, and we had seats pretty close to the penalty boxes. One of their guys took a penalty, and she was absolutely abusing this dude. She had a voice that could be both loud and clear as a bell, and his head absolutely snapped around when she started chirping him, and everyone cheered.

What a great night that was. Ah well.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Expanding on the topic a bit.

For their first date my dad took my mom to a Cleveland Barons game. My mom was no hockey fan but was interested in my dad so... Thus I've always considered hockey in my blood.

Growing up in Raleigh in the 50s/60s was no way to see live hockey. But on the rare occasion it was on TV my dad would always watch and try to explain the game to us. Kinda hard to see much on the old b&w screen. He did buy us this though:

H22456-L236029126.jpg

So I got to know the fundamentals LOL.

In the mid 70s I lived with my brother in Dallas who was a member of the Blackhawks club where they played in a cow palace in the TX fairgrounds. Free meh buffet. Watery Shiner on draft.

Watching game live was definitely an experience. Could not believe the speed and how skillful these minor leaguers were. So much power in action. Just impressed the hell out of me especially as a non skater to begin with. And then there was all the on ice sh*t talking. :popcorn:

It was during the 2cd game I went to that I witnessed this. Two guys drop gloves and really go at it (very physical in those games). And really go at it. Jaw all the way to the box and while in it. Next period another fight breaks out, other players. These first 2 guys just stood there next to each other watching and laughing like hell.

I didn't process much about it at the time but just thought " this is cool as hell".

My first live games.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
My Dad owned a towing company in Cleveland and towed cars for the Jacob's Brothers company so we went to a lot of Indians games when they sucked so I remember going but really don't remember anything about the games. First game I remember going to was a MNF Browns and the Colts all of the Browns QB's were injured so Don Strock started and the Browns D line haressassed Jack? Trudue all game. Browns won.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not my earliest but definitely when I got into things in a big way. Growing up north of Boston I've caught a few Bruins games in person, including a Bruins-Pens game shortly after the Francis trade, though my family had minimal interest in me catching college games at that point in my life. When we moved to Elmira and the local Div 3 school was the only game in town it quickly became apparent why. The school was a Div 3 powerhouse at the time and holy shit did the fans make a point of getting on the case of the other teams players. Stuff that would get you kicked out of a Canes game by the first TV timeout was the norm... and I absolutely loved it. Honestly I feel like if you want to absolutely fall in love with the game, rather than just become a casual fan, the best thing you can do is catch a few games at some dingy barn type arena at the lower levels.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
First hockey game was the year after the cup run against the Wings. Early season against the Habs. Canes lost and the most memorable part was too hard to see from the cheap seats. Jose Theodore made a behind the back over the shoulder save that I think would have given the Canes the lead at the time. Saw the highlights on ESPN that night

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I grew up with outdoor rinks all around (one the town maintained less than a block from my house), played hockey as a kid and grew up a Red Wings fan, but I didn't get to see any pro/college games until I was probably 12 or 13? (don't remember exactly). It was the Michigan Tech Huskies vs. the Michigan Wolverines. I was already a fan of the game, but I remember the atmosphere of a college game was incredible to me at that age. The student section, the band, etc.. I also was surprised how fast the game was in person vs. watching it on TV. My dad wasn't much into hockey, but my brother and I were.

My very first NHL game was in the 80s in the old Montreal forum. Was the Habs playing the Kings when they had Gretzky.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
locally, the ice caps where i remember being terrified because the zambonis was missing a hubcap and i was afraid of black wheels on vehicles for some reason

also saw a flyers isles game at the spectrum when i was ~5 years old where i distinctly remember noticing how you could see the skates carve into the ice with the reflection of the lights at the start of each period

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I went to some early 90s Icecaps games with mom and dad when we were living in Durham. Occasionally in the fall we'd double dip watching Wolfpack football in the afternoon and then make the trek over to Dorton.

Went to several Checkers games in grade school and I could at least comprehend what I was watching. Went to some weekend Icecaps games too when we came to see family.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I was stationed in ND, Grand Forks AFB, and everyone kept telling me I needed to watch a Hockey game. After bowling one night I turned on the TV and the UND vs Wisconsin Badgers game was on and watching for a few minutes I saw this

that is how I became a hockey fan

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Similar experience to @Boom Boom Apathy. Lived in the Upper Peninsula for a couple years as a kid. So I saw people playing on outdoor rinks and asked my parents to buy me skates and a stick even though they knew nothing was of hockey being from the south. Then I started watching the Red Wings in the 90s and playing recreational hockey even when we moved back down south and the rest is history

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It was either a Whalers or New Haven Nighthawks game. I remember being at a Nighthawks game against the Adirondack Red Wings and the crowd chanting “Both Teams Suck”. That’s probably the clearest memory of one of my first games in the late 80s early 90s.

I also remember playing Kevin Dineen in bubble hockey at the Whalers carnival when I was between 5-8 years old.

Oldracer

Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I originally lived in Reading Pa, (about 50 mi. from Hershey) Hershey Bears were a Boston Bruins farm team back then. The details are sketchy, but, I was "hooked on hockey" after my first game, I then became a Bruins fan, but, when the Flyers came into the picture ('64 I believe}, I drifted into their fanbase. Eventually moved to Hershey, played beer league, (Sunday nights @ 10pm), coached the squirts and pee wees.

I moved to Raleigh in '83 figured I was giving up hockey, sold all my gear. Then the Icecaps came to town! Also discovered Beer league hockey was alive and well in Hillsborough! And then of course the BIG ONE: an NHL team was coming to NC!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Being from Greensboro, my dad took me to a couple games when the Canes first moved to NC. First one I don't remember anything specific about other than leaving the game after the 3rd period and asking my dad why we were leaving and why everyone thought they already lost before playing the 4th quarter. I think the other game was a tie.

Can't say I didn't have any warning about Canes fan life.

Didn't really get back into hockey until one of my Dad's beer league friends (he had gotten back on the ice for the first time since childhood after the 02 run) gave us a pair of his 4 season tickets to a Canes game in 05-06, which wound up being that 8-6 game against the Flyers. Got really into it that season, and I guess I've been chasing the high ever since.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I originally lived in Reading Pa, (about 50 mi. from Hershey) Hershey Bears were a Boston Bruins farm team back then. The details are sketchy, but, I was "hooked on hockey" after my first game, I then became a Bruins fan, but, when the Flyers came into the picture ('64 I believe}, I drifted into their fanbase. Eventually moved to Hershey, played beer league, (Sunday nights @ 10pm), coached the squirts and pee wees.

I moved to Raleigh in '83 figured I was giving up hockey, sold all my gear. Then the Icecaps came to town! Also discovered Beer league hockey was alive and well in Hillsborough! And then of course the BIG ONE: an NHL team was coming to NC!
Did you play beer league at the arena or was there ice elsewhere?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00