Confirmed with Link: Eakins Fired; MacT Transitional HC; Nelson Interim HC | Eakins Presser @ 10:00AM (II)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
My "fear" now with the season long over is that Nelson shapes the team up just enough to raise them above basement level.

That slight improvement in coaching elevates them to slightly above cold cadaver level which causes them to lose out completely on McEichel and gives the top brass (Katz/Nicholson) enough "visual leeway" to keep MacT/Lowe/Howson and the rest of that ****** magnificence onboard for at least another season.

I like Nelson and normally I'd want a new and likeable coach to have some success but I'd rather this team continue on this current putrid trajectory until the end of the season where there is then no other option left but "The Purge" (hopefully).

Nelson will unfortunately likely be another casualty of this team's putrid play as well... but it's a sacrifice worth making if there is top to bottom change within the org (again... hopefully).
Wins are more helpful now. We really ought to be winning more now so I don't see how we deserve either McDavid or Eichel. We have RNH and Draisaitl labeled as our top six centers anyway, and that's plenty to work with. Maybe if we get a few wins we can get another veteran UFA similar to Fayne to sign up and actually improve our chances at winning games (Boychuck maybe?). McDavid and Eichel won't help us win at all, not for a couple seasons anyway. It was like that with Stamkos and Crosby too.

Plus who knows, maybe we'll climb the standings but win with lottery. They altered the system to make it easier for non-basement teams to get top pick.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The problem is that this team has no heart, no grit and no intensity. Not enough players that actually give a **** and play a gritty, hard working style and not enough players who care enough to go to the tough areas and play hard to compete every game.

Any wins this team has gives false hope and just gives MacT/Lowe the impression that the team they have put together is finally "getting it"... when it's just a visual illusion.

Current management must be gotten rid of and the roster must be reshaped by a competent new management team.

That's why the best case scenario is a basement finish and McEichel + a complete management purge... anything less is not ideal but yes I expect the worst... the team rises slightly in the standings and the same old boys club continues here in perpetuity.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
The problem is that this team has no heart, no grit and no intensity. Not enough players that actually give a **** and play a gritty, hard working style and not enough players who care enough to go to the tough areas and play hard to compete every game.

Any wins this team has gives false hope and just gives MacT/Lowe the impression that the team they have put together is finally "getting it"... when it's just a visual illusion.

Current management must be gotten rid of and the roster must be reshaped by a competent new management team.

That's why the best case scenario is a basement finish and McEichel + a complete management purge... anything less is not ideal but yes I expect the worst... the team rises slightly in the standings and the same old boys club continues here in perpetuity.

This is pretty much what I always say. Something Drew Remenda said yesterday while Hendricks was out on the ice.

He said guys like Hendricks always "max out". You know what you get with that guy or Gordon. They work their butts off and hustle.

We have at least half of this roster where you go into a game thinking , "geez I wonder who's going to try today, etc."

That is why this team is always at the bottom. Until those players are gone and replaced with guys who give a F, they won't be going anywhere.

All people need to do is watch games around the league. It really shows the stark contrast between other teams work levels and ours.

Yesterday was one of the first time I seen over half the roster work hard all game.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is pretty much what I always say. Something Drew Remenda said yesterday while Hendricks was out on the ice.

He said guys like Hendricks always "max out". You know what you get with that guy or Gordon. They work their butts off and hustle.

We have at least half of this roster where you go into a game thinking , "geez I wonder who's going to try today, etc."

That is why this team is always at the bottom. Until those players are gone and replaced with guys who give a F, they won't be going anywhere.

All people need to do is watch games around the league. It really shows the stark contrast between other teams work levels and ours.

Yesterday was one of the first time I seen over half the roster work hard all game.

I agree. This has been the issue for years now.

Its going to take more than a coach to fix it because too many Oiler players dont seem to have it in them to consistently bust their ass each game.

That doesn't even speak to the never ending stupidity with puck management but if the try was there then at least thats something to latch on to.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We're going to have to give Nelson time. He turned the entire OKC roster into a bunch of hard working maniacs - all you have to do is check out how they dominate on possession and SOG in most games. Not sure if he'll be able to do it with the NHL roster but he's as good a guy as any to do it.

There's so much to work on with this group.

Effort
Winning puck battles
Puck management
Defensive structure
Etc.

He's going to drill down the basics and go from there.

It's going to take at least half a season, maybe more.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Interesting comments from Hendricks after last night's game against New York:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/01/...-nelson-has-similarity-with-islanders-capuano

Matt Hendricks suggested Nelson has made a difference.

“The practices have been improving,” he said of the change from a lot of standing around to more go-go-go.“There’s more energy in the room.”

No wonder this team came out flat 90% of the time under Eakins.

There you have it, another player saying the same about practice under Eakins vs what's normal in the NHL. Eakins greatest mistake might not have been his system (after his original swarm at least). It might have been that he didn't know how to make proper use of his practice time. He let the players go stale outside of game time so they could listen to him babble about water chopping and wood carrying for hours.

This is a good lesson in how large an effect a bad coach can really have on a team. No properly run team would have let Eakins coach beyond his first month or so when it was obvious he was over his head, so you don't see extreme cases like this very often. But, MacT's ego let it happen and we got a lesson no one should ever forget. If it was all up to MacT, Eakins would likely still be coach.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I was a backer of Eakins till the bitter end, but judjing from comments like the Hendricks one above and media, it sure sounds like Eakins just liked the sound of his own voice during practices.

I really like Nelson's approach and demeanour.

Hope he can last.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There you have it, another player saying the same about practice under Eakins vs what's normal in the NHL. Eakins greatest mistake might not have been his system (after his original swarm at least). It might have been that he didn't know how to make proper use of his practice time. He let the players go stale outside of game time so they could listen to him babble about water chopping and wood carrying for hours.

This is a good lesson in how large an effect a bad coach can really have on a team. No properly run team would have let Eakins coach beyond his first month or so when it was obvious he was over his head, so you don't see extreme cases like this very often. But, MacT's ego let it happen and we got a lesson no one should ever forget. If it was all up to MacT, Eakins would likely still be coach.

Amen bro. Its funny how the several previous comments from multiple departing players were ignored and with people suggesting players were misfits or had axe to grind. yet here we are as we expected. I'd made multiple comments in the past that viewing Eakins led practices was like paint dry complete with 10min "Eakins talks" segments. You'd think Eakins was a President giving an inauguration address and not a headcoach of a pro sports team. man this guy loved to hear himself talk. 20min post game I think was the record. If there was an award for length of soundbites Eakins wins it.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Todd Nelson's DMEN TOI Distribution

Here is how Nelson has distributed TOI for his dmen for his 4 games behind the bench by himself. I might have messed up the PP numbers, but from what double checked they matched the game sheets plus the Oil will use 4 forwards a bunch....

ES

Oscar Klefbom - 20:10
Jeff Petry - 19:23
Andrew Ference - 18:55
Justin Schultz - 17:34
Mark Fayne - 16:07
Nikita Nikitin - 13:18
Keith Aulie - 3:40

PP

Justin Schultz - 3:20
Jeff Petry - 1:24
Nikita Nikitin - 1:05
Mark Fayne - 0:18
Andrew Ference - 0:07
Oscar Klefbom - 0:08

SH

Oscar Klefbom - 3:25
Mark Fayne - 3:17
Andrew Ference - 2:28
Jeff Petry - 2:24
Nikita Nikitin - 0:50
Kieth Aulie - 0:31
Justin Schultz - 0:17

TOTAL TOI​

Oscar Klefbom - 23:39
Jeff Petry - 23:21
Andrew Ference - 21:26
Justin Schultz - 21:11
Mark Fayne - 19:32
Nikita Nikitin - 14:52
Kieth Aulie - 4:11

McDeathbyCheerios*

The above list tells me Fayne needs to play more, but I like what Nelson is doing.

I feel like Fayne gets played less in games we are winning or ahead in as Schultz brings the puck moving and offense. In games where we start losing I feel Fayne will be out there more to stop the bleeding

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

Roger that! MacT blew two seasons hanging on to Eakins. I can give him a break on giving him all of last season (even tho it was obvious Eakins would be fired by 2015), but this season is unforgivable. Eakins should have been skidded after the season opening 5game losing streak. Or at the very least, at game 15.

I know it's early to judge the Neslon era, and it could be just the 'dead cat bounce' effect, but it didn't take long to see improvement once a different coach took over.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

How many times after losses and the team made bad mistakes or had defensive lapses did they say post-game "We talk about it lots." or "We've talked about it but we keep making the mistake."

There in lies the answer...who knew they literally meant they had only "talked about it" but didn't practice it, ironically enough at practice.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I feel like Fayne gets played less in games we are winning or ahead in as Schultz brings the puck moving and offense. In games where we start losing I feel Fayne will be out there more to stop the bleeding

Could be, I just think he should play more period, he's a better defenseman then Petry.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Sadly we don't have another dman on the roster that can cut into Klefbom's PK minutes (Ference is already playing a lot, and I really don't trust Aulie or Nikitin).

Another reason to bring up Martin the Martian?

A top 4 of...
Klefbom-Fayne
Marincin-Petry

Please?...

McDeathbyCheerios*

Sadly we don't have another dman on the roster that can cut into Klefbom's PK minutes (Ference is already playing a lot, and I really don't trust Aulie or Nikitin).

A top 4 of...
Klefbom-Fayne
Marincin-Petry

Please?...

Oh god yes please.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, I'd try to play Fayne more, maybe Klefbom a couple of minutes less. Although I'd like to see Klefa on the PP.

Indeed, that big shot seems like it could have some value.

Frankly if they moved out Schultz out it would allow them to see what they "have" offensively in their other defensemen.

Maybe you could move him to Detroit for something that would help the team.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

A top 4 of...
Klefbom-Fayne
Marincin-Petry

Please?...

should have been the top 4 from day 1

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
It's the best we got though.

Perhaps.

I'd rather have the young guys playing huge minutes in the AHL, enjoying success and gearing up for another playoff run than get stuck in Edmonton having their teeth kicked in by the best players in the NHL for months on end.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Perhaps.

I'd rather have the young guys playing huge minutes in the AHL, enjoying success and gearing up for another playoff run than get stuck in Edmonton having their teeth kicked in by the best players in the NHL for months on end.
The thing is, if we didn't sign Nikitin and ran with a top 4 of Klefbom - Fayne and Marincin - Petry, our D wouldn't of been so **** and we wouldn't of lost so many games. Fact was, Nikitin, Ference and Schultz were getting the big minutes and that cost us greatly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad