Tribute EA NHL Soundtrack Bracket | Round 3, Group A1 | Re-Seed

Vote for the better song in EACH of the four pairs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I dunno what to tell you man, they got a punk vibe. Punk is kinda hard to nail down anyway.

Midtown was a punk band from 1998-2005 based in New Jersey. The lead singer eventually formed Cobra Starship, another band that never really clicked for me.
I think post-punk revival is the term you're looking for for Bloc Party.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
If y'all don't think this isn't pop-punk, I don't know what to tell ya.

Again, I love this kind of stuff. But it sounds punk to me. If this isn't punk at all, neither is The Clash.

I mean, the issue here is you're not handling "pop punk" as the specific (albeit large) genre it is. Post-punk/garage/indie are departures from punk, and as such, punk rock products, but they aren't pop punk.

This is the most trivial thing of course.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean, the issue here is you're not handling "pop punk" as the specific (albeit large) genre it is. Post-punk/garage/indie are departures from punk, and as such, punk rock products, but they aren't pop punk.

There really anything "post" about them to me though. It's still punk. If you want "post-punk" I'd argue bands like New Order and Joy Division were post-punk.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
There really anything "post" about them to me though. It's still punk. If you want "post-punk" I'd argue bands like New Order and Joy Division were post-punk.
Well I should say post-punk revival. What do you mean, they sound almost completely different from punk.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
You can't say punk, pop punk and post-punk/post-punk revival music all sounds the same because it has the word punk in it. I could give you four other songs from Bloc Party's first album which sound unmistakably 'them', none of which would sound like Banquet or like any kind of punk.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well I should say post-punk revival. What do you mean, they sound almost completely different from punk.

I dunno, they sound like a punk band to me. I was just listening to The Dead 60s earlier today, and they most assuredly were punk/ska. Bloc Party has a similar vibe to my ears. Stripped-down guitar rock with a jumpy pop vibe to it, and a lead singer who's not trying to hit all the right notes.

This is where I'll wave the white flag though. I believe myself to be informed about topics like hockey...not this though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad