Tribute EA NHL Soundtrack Bracket | Round 3, Group A1 | Re-Seed

Vote for the better song in EACH of the four pairs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Dissappointed that Alexisonfire didn't get representation - but glad to see Billy Talent and Sum 41 (though I'm surprised you went with "Makes No Difference" instead of "Fat Lip") on there so that got my vote. Also had to go with Avenged Sevenfold as that was the best song on the 06 soundtrack and voted against Panic At The Disco as that was the worst song on the 09 soundtrack (Yes, I realize that Phantom Planet's "Do The Panic" was on there too).

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Dissappointed that Alexisonfire didn't get representation - but glad to see Billy Talent and Sum 41 (though I'm surprised you went with "Makes No Difference" instead of "Fat Lip") on there so that got my vote. Also had to go with Avenged Sevenfold as that was the best song on the 06 soundtrack and voted against Panic At The Disco as that was the worst song on the 09 soundtrack (Yes, I realize that Phantom Planet's "Do The Panic" was on there too).
09 was the cut-off, so no Young Cardinals.

Reactions: JoeSakic13

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Ahhh that makes sense.....I haven't been following these but if there's later years I feel like "Kernkraft 400" by Zombie Nation is a must.

If you don't recognize that song, go take a listen because you do.
Yeah, and there would have been Walk in there too.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I get it. Normally I wouldn't like a band like Treble Charger, but since I associate them with NHL EA, they get a pass. But for the most part, this type of music (generic punk and Nu-Metal) just annoys the shit outta me.
Ahhh then ya you wouldn't like Billy Talent. I love punk. Nu-Metal is a tough one and 90% don't do it well, but I like some of it for sure.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ahhh then ya you wouldn't like Billy Talent. I love punk. Nu-Metal is a tough one and 90% don't do it well, but I like some of it for sure.

I actually like a lot of punk and pop-punk, it's just that early-aughts style of "punk" that came out that sounds like a crappy version of Blink-182 (a band I don't care for in the first place) I just can't take, with very few exceptions. Bands like Billy Talent, Yellowcard, and the like. It's like the 2000s looked at the stripped-down rock of the 1990s and said "Yeah, that's too fancy." I'm quite glad that we're seeing a resurgence of 80s-inspired synth stuff that reminds me of my youth. Even the Killers, another early-00s band I didn't really like that much back in the day, have come out with new stuff I really dig.

I suppose Bloc Party counts as "pop-punk," I really liked their first two albums. I should really sit down and listen to Midtown and the Libertines to see what they're all about. And really, New Wave music of the 80s was an offshoot of punk, and that makes up, like, 80% of the music I like.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Blink-182 (a band I don't care for in the first place) I just can't take, with very few exceptions. Bands like Billy Talent, Yellowcard
Hmm... That's three entirely different pop punk bands. You're covering ground. :D
I'm quite glad that we're seeing a resurgence of 80s-inspired synth stuff that reminds me of my youth.
Gross. ;)
I suppose Bloc Party counts as "pop-punk," I really liked their first two albums. I should really sit down and listen to Midtown and the Libertines to see what they're all about.
Mmh... not that it's important to discuss genre boundaries, but the indie/garage/post-punk revival doesn't go together with pop punk. Midtown is pop punk though.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Billy Talent - Red Flag: Such a fantastic song and album. I think Billy Talent is a better album than II, with both a clear shot above everything else. Also consistently a fantastic band for misheard lyrics. "The red flag women" sounds familiar as I listen back now.
Modern Day Zero - Down: I forget what this is but it's not winning here anyway. Oh hold on, I think I enjoyed this. Yeah this is decent. It should certainly advance ahead of some of the shite elsewhere in this poll.

Avenged Sevenfold - Bat Country: I genuinely don't get it. Even if I did enjoy the music, the vocals are beyond annoying. Oh god I've listened to it for longer than last time (ie: at all) and it just gets worse. The solo with that stupid mid-00s metal effect on it where the entire thing sounds like Dragonforce. Dreadful.
Good Riddance - Darkest Days: Easy win. Banger.

Billy Talent ft. Anti-Flag - Turn Your Back: Although I've gone back to a lot of music and albums I listened to at this time, I've not put BT III on yet. I'll do that tomorrow. I did find it quite the let-down after the first two. I wasn't very enthused by it when I heard this song in NHL 09 either. PS this is a terrible quality video. PPS: The bass drum just before the last chorus is much better on the album version.
Sum 41 - Makes No Difference: I find this video offensive. I find the ska jam at the end of this video even more offensive. I don't know if it's actually part of the song or not.

Panic! at the Disco - Nine in the Afternoon: This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race
Bowling For Soup - Punk Rock 101: I always thought Less Than Jake was the band with the big fat guy on guitar. It's ironic that this song sends up, and is, everything Pokecheque has been criticising but it's also actually really good.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I suppose Bloc Party counts as "pop-punk," I really liked their first two albums. I should really sit down and listen to Midtown and the Libertines to see what they're all about. And really, New Wave music of the 80s was an offshoot of punk, and that makes up, like, 80% of the music I like.

For all the dreadful musical opinions you've posted in these polls, and even as someone who doesn't pay attention to or can even define genres, describing Bloc Party as pop punk is so wide of the mark it makes me think you've got the wrong band. I don't know what Midtown is but they're not comparable to the Libertines either, who also aren't pop punk but are truly awful.

Billy Talent and Yellowcard aren't really alike either, other than them being vaguely categorisable as 'rock.'

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think Billy Talent is a better album than II, with both a clear shot above everything else.
Agree wholeheartedly.

I did find it quite the let-down after the first two.
Ditto, but I've listened to it a fair bit more recently and it's a solid album.

Sum 41 - Makes No Difference: I find the ska jam at the end of this video even more offensive. I don't know if it's actually part of the song or not.
No, so why is it there? In fact, why is any ska ever anywhere?

Panic! at the Disco - Nine in the Afternoon: This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race
Ha! This may be the heaviest analysis from you all series.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
For all the dreadful musical opinions you've posted in these polls, and even as someone who doesn't pay attention to or can even define genres, describing Bloc Party as pop punk is so wide of the mark it makes me think you've got the wrong band. I don't know what Midtown is but they're not comparable to the Libertines either, who also aren't pop punk but are truly awful.

Billy Talent and Yellowcard aren't really alike either, other than them being vaguely categorisable as 'rock.'

I dunno what to tell you man, they got a punk vibe. Punk is kinda hard to nail down anyway.

Midtown was a punk band from 1998-2005 based in New Jersey. The lead singer eventually formed Cobra Starship, another band that never really clicked for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad