E3 Cancelled. Dead?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If I was a game company, I don't need E3 to showcase my games so that makes sense but what was the reason why Sony stopped going? Decided to do their own E3?
I don't think they ever gave a reason. They probably just saw they had like 13 million YouTube followers and that their state of plays were getting the same amount of views as their e3 conference.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The advent of digital shows always spelled doom for E3. At the very least Sony/Microsoft started to get the message that the fans wanted trailers, not talking heads.

There was a point where the shows would drag on for far too long. If a trailer didn't grab your interest in a game, then 15 minutes of some dude talking about it wasn't going to change that. Hamstringing yourself around a schedule helps no one.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The organizers are known elitists that did not really care for smaller publications or indie developers.

They could have reinvented themselves if they did not have such a condescending attitude since smaller players need the visibility.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
As a kid it was one of my dreams to go to E3 some day, sad that I never got to experience it. I'm not shocked to see this happen though. There really is no particular reason why game companies need E3 anymore.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I always thought the future of E3 would be having the demos accessible to everyone through the system instead of just for the people on the floor. I remember getting the PlayStation Underground discs during the PS1 days, something like that but downloadable with maybe a few different games per download.

• Love
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I didn't touch on them because the upgrade thing is correct, smart delivery is better than the $10 upgrade path. This also just happened with Outer Worlds which is an X-Box studio, but to the best of my knowledge this was done by Private Division (a publishing division of Take 2), not Microsoft. Not really anything to dispute. As for GT7, I've heard of the MTX issues, but I haven't played it myself, so I really have no comments on that.

As for the disc issue you are talking about, could be correct but I've never encountered it. Although save files will always carry over in my experience, I wouldn't say that is anti-consumer more than it is just inconvenient (they aren't downgrading the games or increasing prices, which would be anti-consumer).

I'm not gonna dispute MS is probably the most consumer-friendly at the moment, because they are in the most need of gaining market share (similar to AMD vs Nvidia in GPUs, but not really true in CPUs anymore as they gained on Intel). To be honest, being on all 3 platforms to an extent (I don't own an Xbox, but have PC Gamepass for like the next 28 months), I find Nintendo the most frustrating to deal with since while Sony's first party games are 90 CAD at launch and pretty much all Nintendo games except the upcoming Tears of the Kingdom are 80CAD, unless a game is an absolute must have for you, you will be able to find Sony stuff on sale within 6-12 months. Good luck ever finding first party Nintendo stuff on sale except maybe twice a year, and then games 5 years old will go back up to 80.

To be honest, if you really want to hammer Sony/Nintendo for being anti-consumer just look at their refund policies compared to Microsoft and Steam/Valve, although that is partially a cultural divide, but it was obviously quite evident on CyberPunk 2077 and which is why it got taken off the Sony store after CDPR promised refunds without clearing it with Sony ahead of time.

I just don't really see the PS5 itself as being anti-consumer. There are obviously some issues with SIE overall like there all with all 3 of the companies.
I don't even blame Sony for not having a Smart Delivery feature, it was a pretty smart and creative feature just like quick resume (and PlayStation has their own unique features). It just pains me to milk your consumers for every dollar. They've already bought GoT or Spider-Man, they are first party games, just upgrade them to a PS5 version of the game for free. Locking it behind DLC's or all the random little messy things they did with Spider-Man rubs me the wrong way.

I think Microsoft went insane with launching the Xbox One. I like what they've done since but they used to be very anti-consumer and got ahead of themselves with the Xbox 360 success, to the point I'm not sure they can win back the trust of gamers.

I do agree that Nintendo is worse than Microsoft or Sony could ever imagine being. The Switch is a really cool idea, but also extremely overpriced. The capabilities of it are not worth $400+CAD. My Joy-Cons broke, and I had to pay something like $100CAD after tax for replacements which is just crazy. Their games are mostly overpriced, and as as you said, never go on sale until they're years old. It's also comical that Tears of the Kingdom is being charged as a PS5/XSX game, but if any game can get away with it, it's the BotW sequel.

I'm not overly loyal to any of the three companies, but I do try and support them all to have access to games on each. For some context: I had a PS1 and PS2, got a Wii for Christmas, bought a 360 a couple years into it's lifecycle, bought a PS4 at launch, bought an Xbox One a couple of years into it's lifecycle, upgraded to One X, bought a XSX at launch and bought a PS5 a year into it's lifecycle. Don't really PC game as I'm a Mac user.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I don't even blame Sony for not having a Smart Delivery feature, it was a pretty smart and creative feature just like quick resume (and PlayStation has their own unique features). It just pains me to milk your consumers for every dollar. They've already bought GoT or Spider-Man, they are first party games, just upgrade them to a PS5 version of the game for free. Locking it behind DLC's or all the random little messy things they did with Spider-Man rubs me the wrong way.

I think Microsoft went insane with launching the Xbox One. I like what they've done since but they used to be very anti-consumer and got ahead of themselves with the Xbox 360 success, to the point I'm not sure they can win back the trust of gamers.

I do agree that Nintendo is worse than Microsoft or Sony could ever imagine being. The Switch is a really cool idea, but also extremely overpriced. The capabilities of it are not worth $400+CAD. My Joy-Cons broke, and I had to pay something like $100CAD after tax for replacements which is just crazy. Their games are mostly overpriced, and as as you said, never go on sale until they're years old. It's also comical that Tears of the Kingdom is being charged as a PS5/XSX game, but if any game can get away with it, it's the BotW sequel.

I'm not overly loyal to any of the three companies, but I do try and support them all to have access to games on each. For some context: I had a PS1 and PS2, got a Wii for Christmas, bought a 360 a couple years into it's lifecycle, bought a PS4 at launch, bought an Xbox One a couple of years into it's lifecycle, upgraded to One X, bought a XSX at launch and bought a PS5 a year into it's lifecycle. Don't really PC game as I'm a Mac user.
I'm not sure why Nintendo games are overpriced? They make very high quality games that don't age, and as a result people continue to buy them years after they come out. I mean I'd love if they were 20 bucks but I don't know why I'd expect them to at this point.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Nintendo Switch physical copies will have a very high resale value in the future. The games are actually on the cartridge so you don't depend on some online service that will probably shut down one day. You just need to look at the used market right now with people paying a fortune to get some copies of older games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad