E-Mail from Mike Gillis [To Season Ticket Holders]

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
There is literally half a sentence in the whole letter that can be taken as making excuses. :help:

Or taken as admission things were tough and he wasn't good enough under the circumstance.

People will read what ever preconceived ideas they had into it. If they want they will see statements by Gillis of what and why as explanations, others will see than as excuses. Perhaps the GM should just say nothing so it couldn't be taken as "excuses", but then he'd get accused of something else.

What exactly do people want him to say?

Last edited:

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
There is literally half a sentence in the whole letter that can be taken as making excuses. :help:

Yeah you're right but the rest of it is ******** those 2 sentences containing "condensed schedule" is typical Gillis. Theres a reason he's called Stay Still Gill. How long is he going to keep dodging 1040 for an interview? Firing AV is his only move and I'm starting to get worried here...:help:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yeah you're right but the rest of it is ******** those 2 sentences containing "condensed schedule" is typical Gillis. Theres a reason he's called Stay Still Gill. How long is he going to keep dodging 1040 for an interview? Firing AV is his only move and I'm starting to get worried here...:help:

I don't know how much more direct he could be

"Losing in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs the past two years is unacceptable to each of us."

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Sharks added Torres, Kings didn't need to add much considering they have everyone from last year, Look at what the Penguins added.

Lets' not get fooled by Mike Gillis excuse that a trade is impossible to make.

Look at what the Penguins gave up to get the players they acquired. Do we have a Malkin or Crosby to lead this team for years to come? This ALL IN mentality with this fan base is ridiculous. I don't want to end up as the Flames. A few years down the road you're going to be thankful and be saying the exact same thing with that core as you are with this core.

"This is Brian Burke and Dave Nonis' core." God bless us when we have a solid team for years to come and we're going to see the same "This is MG's core." should we get a new GM.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
he forgot to put..

ps...despite everything I mentioned above, we're still raising ticket prices. please see the attached invoice

:laugh:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Shortened season should have helped the Canucks

I get the feeling that the Canucks were banking on a canceled season.
It seemed so from the start they were like a deer caught in the headlights.
I got the feeling that they were counting on it with the way they planed from top to bottom, even before the lockout ended.
I did not say anything since I know people will say that they should have been prepared for anything etc etc
Just how I felt so I do not read to much into it.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Shortened season should have helped the Canucks

Was the shortened season a valid excuse for their poor showing? No, the core should have gotten something done. However, I certainly don't think it was an advantage to this team, in fact quite the opposite.

They couldn't make trades during the lockout which handcuffed them with the goaltending situation. There wasn't a lot on the UFA market available aside from Garrison. There was a lot of uncertainty surrounding the cap going forward, so trading salary last summer would have been a tough proposition. There was no pre-season to evaluate the young players at this level. With only 38 games to the trade deadline and loser points, there was very little separation and few teams that were definitely out of contention. There were more buyers than sellers, and the ones that did buy overpaid horrendously. There wasn't a lot of blue chippers in this system to just throw them away on rentals.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Too bad it wasn't a resignation letter. If the leader if the organization can make excuses, everyone else through the management, down through the coaching staff, and the players cannot be held accountable for doing so! That is a losing atmosphere!

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The Marco Sturm signing has damaged this organization for years to come.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pretty clear that there needs to be a culture change for this entire organization.

From management and their constant whining to the coach and players and this image of "refs are always out to get us". The NHL has some pretty terrible officials that are largely inconsistent. I thought the officiating in the Sharks series was downright offensive but good teams get beyond that.

The team promotes this powder puff image and I think it has a trickle down effect to the crowd at Canuck games and the players.

The Canucks has a whole need to look in the mirror into the type of franchise they really are. Not respected.

1) The lame intro videos every season showing the Canucks walking about downtown with a coffee in their hand played over some soft music or some type of house music.

2) The inhouse top 40 music. No place for it at a hockey game.

3) The Roger Nielsen statue paying tribute to the Canucks giving up. You want to honor him? cool, think of a better way.

4) The immortalization of Trevor Linden. Give me a break. He has never won anything for the Canucks.

5) The shunning of Bure which is finally being reversed.

They really need to change their image around the league. From a "turn the cheek" franchise to a "not taking this ****" type of franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad