DZ: Unfinished business

Bardof425*

I tend to think things would be faaaaaar worse with just about any of us running the team. It's much easier to sit outside and judge these decisions than it is to actually make them.

And the idea that this move is about anything except the up and down play of Michael Del Zotto is ludicrous. I believe he has peaked. His skating is questionable; his effort is lacking at times; his decision making leaves a ton to be desired and he is just not that creative or
Productive in the offensive zone. He is a player that is properly suited for a #4 or #5 defenseman depending on his team's roster and so getting a solid #4 D-man who is a RHD is a no brainer IMO. If MDZ gets much better; good for him. It wasn't
Happening here.

SKS

Jan 17, 2011
San Francisco
I watched Nashvilles two last games, and I think DZ has looked great! Confident right away and pitching in offensively and defensively.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
he's going to Nashville and his partner is going to be Seth Jones who can shore up or hide any of DZ's deficiencies all the while DZ will get better and play more confident with a competent partner not named John Moore. He's gonna do great and score 30-40 points a season and grow in Nashville's system. Trotz is also a very smart coach who will be able to use DZ correctly. Some would say DZ didn't earn a better chance playing under AV but bottom line is we are trading him away and it's the coaches job to get the best out of his players. It's a catch 22. DZ is one of those players that needs to be built up. He can't just knock the coaches socks off out the gate. I found it incredibly smart of Trotz to tell him up front that he isn't going to get PP time under they've had time to practice and for DZ to be patient with HIM. It's a very smart way of saying that Trotz will have patience with DZ.

These are all conditions (elite partner, coach, confidence, patience) that would not be afforded to DZ in NY so the Preds are going to get a good deal. Klein is going to be a favorite with us as well so I still keep looking back at this trade thinking it was a win win deal.

Nashville fans saw that DZ is able to make clean passes coming out of the zone so they are already pleased with what they've got. I'm guessing that a big part of what makes their system work down there.

Uh a clean break-out pass is like probably one of the top 3 most important things when it comes to generating good offense on any hockey team...

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Uh a clean break-out pass is like probably one of the top 3 most important things when it comes to generating good offense on any hockey team...

And that's precisely why Nashville can't score.

Their D can't make a breakout pass for ****.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I watched Nashvilles two last games, and I think DZ has looked great! Confident right away and pitching in offensively and defensively.

I wouldn't at all be suprised if MDZ climbs tremendously in the awareness of a quite big group in the coming years.

He is a very good hockey player. The avg D in this league aint that good.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
My god. Del Zotto had to go because he was too expensive to be a 3rd pairing D-man, and Sather goes and trades him for an even more expensive Kevin Klein! In what universe does this make a lick of sense?

Not to mention Klein is both worse and older than MDZ!

Brutal trade, not the news you wanted when you returned from vacation. I would honestly have preferred a 2nd round pick, Klein has negative value to me considering the Rangers roster make up and cap situation.

Completely agree. But I wouldn't take Klein for free.

Worst Ranger trade in a long time.

Last edited:

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Why are people still debating this trade?

MDZ is a player known for his offense yet is pretty bad on the PP. No surprise why he was traded. You can't be an offensive defenseman when you're a peashooter. Not only is his shot not hard.. see my user name. This leaves us with:

-a below average defender with
-a below average shot and
-a below average ability to keep the puck in the zone on the PP but
-an above average breakout pass

= not a very good defenseman unless used in certain specific/tailored situations

sflitter9

Dec 16, 2011
My god. Del Zotto had to go because he was too expensive to be a 3rd pairing D-man, and Sather goes and trades him for an even more expensive Kevin Klein! In what universe does this make a lick of sense?

Not to mention Klein is both worse and older than MDZ!

Brutal trade, not the news you wanted when you returned from vacation. I would honestly have preferred a 2nd round pick, Klein has negative value to me considering the Rangers roster make up and cap situation.

In WHAT WORLD are you getting a 2 for Michael Del Zotto??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad