Dynasty Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Eh, all right, something really weird just happened during the off-season in my Blues GM mode. The Sharks offered me a trade where I gave a third rounder for Raffi Torres, which I accepted as I needed a fourth-liner anyway. Later one I noticed that Pietrangelo was gone and when I went to check out that had he just disappeared completely or did I accidentally buy him out or something like that, I noted that he was in Sharks. What the ****, really? Oh well.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
I want to start a BAGM with the cap on, but I did that in the week and, after the usual message about some teams not being compliant, I saw probably a dozen 83+ players in the FA pool, which I don't like. Other than turning the cap off, any way around that?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'll repeat my question from the previous thread:

Is there a significant difference between 4.5 gold star potential goalies and 5 gold star potential goalies?

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
So I'm thinking of doing a gm to post on hf, it won't be anything fancy because i will probably be doing it on my iPad. What team would you guys like to see? I'm thinking buf or cgy...I'm looking for a team that I would build form the ground up...or maybe an expansion team so it's truly from the ground up

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
So I'm thinking of doing a gm to post on hf, it won't be anything fancy because i will probably be doing it on my iPad. What team would you guys like to see? I'm thinking buf or cgy...I'm looking for a team that I would build form the ground up...or maybe an expansion team so it's truly from the ground up

If you BUF, definitely get the trade in

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Montreal Canadiens Season 1 [36-36-10]
Max Pacioretty (88) - Tomas Plekanec (86) - Marian Gaborik (90)
Brian Gionta (82) - David Dehsernais (82) - P.A. Parentau (84)
Brendan Gallagher (82) - Alex Galchenyuk (83) - Daniel Briere (82)
Brandon Prust (81) - Ryan White (78) - Rene Bourque (80)

Andrei Markov (86) - P.K. Subban (88)
Josh Gorges (83) - Alexei Emelin (83)
Jarred Tinordi (80) - Douglas Murray (81)

Carey Price (91)
Peter Budaj (81)

Quick Notes
-Marian Gaborik led the team with 33 goals
-Carey Price had 32 wins and 30 losses
-P.K. Subban led all dmen in scoring with 31 points, including 9 goals
-Alex Galchenyuk had 37 points.
-P.A. Parenteau struggle with only 14 goals after being traded for to bring offense to a struggling offense.
-The Habs gave up their 2014 first for Gaborik.
-They would have been drafting in the top 10.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Eh, all right, something really weird just happened during the off-season in my Blues GM mode. The Sharks offered me a trade where I gave a third rounder for Raffi Torres, which I accepted as I needed a fourth-liner anyway. Later one I noticed that Pietrangelo was gone and when I went to check out that had he just disappeared completely or did I accidentally buy him out or something like that, I noted that he was in Sharks. What the ****, really? Oh well.

There was a glitch that happened during the re-sign phase.

Basically, if you went to your contracts page, selected one guy, offered him a deal, and then went straight down to the next guy on the list, the game wouldn't recognize you as having shifted down to the next guy.

For example, if you are playing as Toronto GM and are on Kadri, and you click on Kadri and offer him a deal, and then go down to the next guy on the list (alphabetical, so Lupul), and then clicked on Lupul, the game wouldn't recognize you as being on Lupul but still being on Kadri.

Therefore if you try and buy someone out who is next on the list (Lupul), you accidentally buy out Kadri instead.

It could be that something like that happened. OR, you may have just flat out forgot to re-sign Petriangelo and he went to free agency and ended up going to the Sharks. Happens to the best of us. That's why you always save before you go into the off-season.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I want to start a BAGM with the cap on, but I did that in the week and, after the usual message about some teams not being compliant, I saw probably a dozen 83+ players in the FA pool, which I don't like. Other than turning the cap off, any way around that?

You can artificially create cap space for some teams by making sure that some of the overpaid guys that aren't really playing anymore (Savard from BOS, Pronger from the Flyers) are moved off of their teams - just dump them into some European league somewhere.

That way, some of the teams have a little bit more cap wiggle room to soak up some of the 83+ overall talent in free agency.

It's also worth noting that less of that talent remains in free agency as you move forward in years. One of the reasons why that happens so early in the game, is because most teams find themselves at their contract limit (50 out of 50), very early in the game. As you move through in years, you begin to see some variability between teams (some teams always have 48 or 49 contracts on their books, while other teams have 40ish).

THis is important because teams who have cap space to afford those 80+ overall free agents, might not have the contract space to take those players on early. That changes later on.

In almost all of my GMs, once I get past year 2 or 3, mid-season free agency pool is almost always full of 70 overall players as the high OA talent has been snapped up.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Ready to murder somebody.

Last season with a team in 25th place and 20 games left, I noticed that my AHL goalie, Mark Visentin (4 yellow stars) randomly jumped in overall from 77 to 88 overall, so I make him my starter in the NHL and he carries the team to a playoff spot with a 16-1 record and .955. He then continues to carry the team on his back to the damn Stanley Cup with a .960 save percentage in the playoffs and wins the Conne Smythe. I was ecstatic. I thought I finally found the goalie to build my franchise around.

I sign him to an 8 year contract in the off-season, since his overall was 89 at the time of re-sign. I get to the pre-season and I am looking over my lineup only to realize that he out of nowhere regressed back to a 78 overall.....

So now I'm stuck with this 78 overall goalie on an albatross contract that nobody will ever take.

**** EA and their ****** player development.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
ready to murder somebody.

Last season with a team in 25th place and 20 games left, i noticed that my ahl goalie, mark visentin (4 yellow stars) randomly jumped in overall from 77 to 88 overall, so i make him my starter in the nhl and he carries the team to a playoff spot with a 16-1 record and .955. He then continues to carry the team on his back to the damn stanley cup with a .960 save percentage in the playoffs and wins the conne smythe. I was ecstatic. I thought i finally found the goalie to build my franchise around.

I sign him to an 8 year contract in the off-season, since his overall was 89 at the time of re-sign. I get to the pre-season and i am looking over my lineup only to realize that he out of nowhere regressed back to a 78 overall.....

So now i'm stuck with this 78 overall goalie on an albatross contract that nobody will ever take.

**** ea and their ****** player development.

roflmao

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
Wow totally forgot about my GM... :laugh: I'll do a full writeup at the Christmas Break

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Last season with a team in 25th place and 20 games left, I noticed that my AHL goalie, Mark Visentin (4 yellow stars) randomly jumped in overall from 77 to 88 overall, so I make him my starter in the NHL and he carries the team to a playoff spot with a 16-1 record and .955. He then continues to carry the team on his back to the damn Stanley Cup with a .960 save percentage in the playoffs and wins the Conne Smythe. I was ecstatic. I thought I finally found the goalie to build my franchise around.

I sign him to an 8 year contract in the off-season, since his overall was 89 at the time of re-sign. I get to the pre-season and I am looking over my lineup only to realize that he out of nowhere regressed back to a 78 overall.....

So now I'm stuck with this 78 overall goalie on an albatross contract that nobody will ever take.

LOL!

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before!

Normally even when young players regress, they can bounce back pretty nicely. But that's insane LOL

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Happened to me with Rhett Rakhshani except he actually stayed really good. Was like a 75 one year and I signed him as minor league depth and the next year he jumps to like an 85 randomly and was my 2nd line RW. His third year in my system he was an 88 overall and turned out to be my first line RW. I traded him for some good pieces and he went back to being like a 79 overall. Really weird I think it's a glitch in the game

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
What team do you guys swap out for when you do an expansion team? And what do you do with that teams prospects? (like trade, keep etc.)

IonizedCookie

Dec 29, 2012
Niagara Falls, ON
Happened to me with Rhett Rakhshani except he actually stayed really good. Was like a 75 one year and I signed him as minor league depth and the next year he jumps to like an 85 randomly and was my 2nd line RW. His third year in my system he was an 88 overall and turned out to be my first line RW. I traded him for some good pieces and he went back to being like a 79 overall. Really weird I think it's a glitch in the game

This is actually nuts, I've played Be A GM 5000 times over and never experienced this...

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'll repeat my question from the previous thread:

Is there a significant difference between 4.5 gold star potential goalies and 5 gold star potential goalies?

No.

4.5 star gold will probably get you an overall goalie of 89-91, whereas 5 gold will get you higher than a 90 overall.

But you won't need that if you are simulating through GM mode; I've seen 83 and 84 overall goalies win the cup, and I generally like to have my goaltender somewhere around 87 or above in order to win the cup via sim.

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Starting the 4th year of my Colorado Avalanche GM Mode, i have somehow made the playoffs in all the previous 3 years, including two trips to the Stanley Cup Finals and a Stanley Cup Championship. (Both years i was in the Finals it was versus the NY Rangers, gladly i had the chance to payback in last years finals, winning the stanley cup. :D)

My Current team stands up at:

G. Landeskog (86) - M. Duchene (89) - N. MacKinnon (92)
R. O'Reilly (84) - P. Stastny (85) - C. Atkinson (85)
L. Adam (85) - D. Bolland (82) - D. Tyrell (85)
S. Downie (81) - M. Talbot (80) - B. Yip (77)

M. Staal (86) - E. Johnson (88)
Pitkänen (85) - T. Barrie (84)
E. Gelinas (81) - S. Elliott (83)'

B. Barrick (87)
S. Aittokallio (77) [Rookie]

Biggest changes from last season are acquirin Tyrell and Adam, and trading my goalie pair, Varlamov (85) and Pickard (85) for Barrick and a Goeltender Prospect.

My TOP 10 Prospects look like this:

1. LW Nikolaj Ehlers - (81) - 4 Green Stars - 20 Years Old
2. G Sami Aittokallio - (77) - 4 Yellow Stars - 24 Years Old
3. RW Michael McCarron (75) - 4 Yellow Stars - 21 Years Old
4. D Anthony DeAngelo - (68) - 4 Yellow Stars - 20 Years Old
5. G Valeri Kamaev - (59) - 4 Yellow Stars - 19 Years Old
6. D Alex Peters - (72) - 3.5 Yellow Stars - 20 Years Old
7. C Mike Sgarbossa - (79) - 3.5 Yellow Stars - 24 Years Old
8. C Joey Hishon - (76) - 3.5 Yellow Stars - 24 Years Old
9. LW Miikka Salomäki (73) - 3.5 Red Stars - 23 Years Old
10. RW Nicholas Baptiste (69) 3.5 Red Stars - 21 Years Old

Nikolaj Ehlers would have propably made the jump this year, but i thinks his Offensive skills need to be polished, so i'll give him 1 year in the AHL.

Last edited:

Dezmoto

May 3, 2013
Los Angeles
Sooooo, I've had 5 drafts in a row where the scouts say it's going to be "below average", is this normal? This year's top pick was 73 as opposed to my first couple of seasons which were all in the 80's

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
What team do you guys swap out for when you do an expansion team? And what do you do with that teams prospects? (like trade, keep etc.)

I've tried this a couple times, the team I swap out usually depends on what team I am making.

My most recent attempt at this for example was Seattle, I decided to replace Phoenix since that way I don't have to do any shuffling with divisions or anything.

I like to trade my best player for one of the bottom team's 1st round pick, then every other player above 77ish for 7th round picks, and if they have any really good prospects too, trading them for 7th round picks as well. That way I end up with 2 high picks in the first giving me a pretty good pipeline and the 7th round picks are throwaways so they don't affect anything. Might have to sign one or two low-end free agents to league maximum 1-yr contracts too just to meet the floor without the computer randomly adjusting terrible people to huge contracts that also have a long-term.

It's really fun playing on a team where your best guy is like 75 overall, and seeing the simulating engine at times overload and end up with a guy who has like 65 overall getting like 50 points. I love the challenge in the following seasons as well to slowly build up an NHL quality team from essentially scratch.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Sooooo, I've had 5 drafts in a row where the scouts say it's going to be "below average", is this normal? This year's top pick was 73 as opposed to my first couple of seasons which were all in the 80's

The top picks in almost every draft are great - the top 2 or 3 picks are always very good.

The analysis of the draft normally refers to the depth of the draft, and more specifically, how early you get down to the 3.5 star and below picks.

The really good drafts, like the first few years, often have 3.5 star players appearing in the second round even though there are many 4 star players in and around that group.

The weak drafts normally have those 3.5ers showing up towards the end of the first round

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Oh, wow. First time i've actually had/seen two players on the same team to score over 100 points. Nathan Mackinnon had 38 Goals and 78 Assists, totaling for 116 Points, and Nail Yakupov had 41 Goals and 61 Assists totaling for 102 Points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad