Dynamo Moscow 2017/18 - The Reports of My Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
With the tricky situation with Dynamo Moscow this preseason, I thought it would be good to make a separate thread.

Today Dynamo announced they have signed the following players for the next season:

GK
Ivan Bocharov
Alexander Sharychenkov
Alexander Yeryomenko

D
Sergei Alexeyev
Andrei Kuteikin
Ilya Nikulin
Yegor Orlov
Yakov Rylov
Dmitriy Vishnevskiy
Atyom Volkov
Yegor Zaitsev

FW
Andrei Alexeyev
Mikhail Anisin
Mikhail Bitsadze
Vladimir Bryukvin
Igor Ignatushkin
Ivan Igumnov
Martinsh Karsums
Dmitriy Kazionov
Dmitriy Markovin
Alexander Petunin
Artyom Podshendyalov
Dmitriy Sidlyarov
Daniil Tarasov
Mikhail Varnakov
Vladislav Yefremov
Anton Zlobin

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
With this roster it certainly will be all about further foreign acquisitions if Dynamo aims to squeeze into playoffs.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Any reason a few other vets are listed on EP as contracted for next season with Dynamo like Hietanen and Kaspar? I don't believe I saw their names on the "released" list - just a mistake?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Any reason a few other vets are listed on EP as contracted for next season with Dynamo like Hietanen and Kaspar? I don't believe I saw their names on the "released" list - just a mistake?

It's important to understand that technically this is the "new" Dynamo and therefore all the players contracted to the "old" Dynamo had to go through that "release" procedure before signing with any other KHL team (even including this "new" Dynamo). So yeah, maybe it is taking a bit longer for them to get "released", those kind of procedures can be tricky.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Keeping Dynamo in the league is good to attract hockey fans but when you don't pay salaries and keep professional players away from you then soon enough you will have no product to attract hockey fans. Simple as that. While I'm glad that a shameful disaster was averted, I won't feel OK about this team unless all players receive what they were promised.

Some people keep saying, "Hey, they already make tons of money, a couple of months without salary won't hurt them!" about players, which is absolutely one of the most disgusting and dangerous ways of thinking I've ever witnessed. Yes, there may be times when you can't pay on time due to several reasons and hockey players are definitely able to shake that off; but please don't put being irresponsible and having a "We will sort it out!" mentality without any foundation in the same basket as "delayed payments". Delayed payments are almost always acceptable but only when they occur due to some unforeseen circumstance, not when your club makes fun of you. There is a huge difference between, "We will sign players, keep this hockey team running as long as we can and then we will simply go away" and "Hey guys, there were some problems and therefore we will have to delay your payments for some time, sorry about that".

I feel like the current KHL board sincerely works on solving those problems yet some big guns keep preventing good things from happening for the sake of their own gains, base of which is the law of the jungle where you can operate freely without supervision.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So let me know if I'm wrong but I don't think I am. All this "restructuring" of Dynamo was a complete farce in order to not have to pay out debts and get rid of unwanted players. That is so, isn't it? Such a smooth move. Like vomiting on the sidewalk and then covering it with a napkin.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
So let me know if I'm wrong but I don't think I am. All this "restructuring" of Dynamo was a complete farce in order to not have to pay out debts and get rid of unwanted players. That is so, isn't it? Such a smooth move. Like vomiting on the sidewalk and then covering it with a napkin.

As far as I know Safronov has nothing to do with the "new" Dynamo. And since he wasn't in good relationships with the Dynamo society, I doubt that they pulled this together.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Maybe some young guys will get a chance.

Probably a bad move for their top prospects to go to NA since they would have been playing in KHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

This is no restructuring. Nobody ever claimed that.

Neither is it a farce, but basically the only course of action given the circumstances.

The debts aren't going anywhere.

Nobody was/is trying to get rid of players. In fact the new Dynamo is desperate to keep the players.

All your smelly comments make it sound like you take it rather personally. Why?

Facts are simple. One crooked a-hole screwed the organization. Hiring him was a huge debacle by the board. They undoubtedly should look in the mirror and answer themselves how they made that idiotic decision that stained the resume of such a franchize.

Nobody tried to get rid of players. This is not the NHL. Contracts are much easier terminated. If you want a guy out, you will get him out.

The debts of the old organization are all valid and subject to further processing, be it through courts or not. Obviously when the money is gone the chance of getting it back even more so all of it is slim. Just ask Sergei Fedorov.

Thus nobody claims it is business as usual or some restructuring like you put it. It is a huge mess. And it is all on every single person responnsible on the board. They hired Safronov and let him ruin the franchize over years without asking important questions and looking in his books like they should have.

The solution in place now is the only way to keep the team operative and do the smallest damage to players' rights. As free agents they can walk and sign elsewhere if they don't want to be a part of that team anymore. Or they can sign new contracts and stay.

Their financial claims towards the old organization remain valid as I mentioned above.

There is no perfect way out of it. But please stop seeing big conspiracies everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As far as I know Safronov has nothing to do with the "new" Dynamo. And since he wasn't in good relationships with the Dynamo society, I doubt that they pulled this together.

I don't mean this in "pulled this together" way, just that it will be the same team, same name, same colors, same players. Them not taking over the commitments of the previous owner of, de facto, the same team just looks bad because it was done to balance budget the easy way. Because obviously they have money, this isn't a borderline VHL roster they are crafting. And the players that left were easily movable as they had value. VHL guys who won the league last year were probably hurt the most, they lost contracts, their team doesn't exist anymore and the club they belonged to doesn't give the opportunity.

Maybe some young guys will get a chance.

Probably a bad move for their top prospects to go to NA since they would have been playing in KHL.

Who are those? Lipanov was nowhere near KHL, others are being allowed to go left and right.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
There is no perfect way out of it. But please stop seeing big conspiracies everywhere.

I don't see a big conspiracy, I see a really basic one. Can you please then explain me why was the action taken just terminating all the contracts rather than sorting it out any other way? If it was not to get out of commitments?

Also you are telling me I look through some special glasses and moments later that it was "the only course of action given the circumstances". Really? That, in your opinion, was the only possibility? Between two of us, I don't know whose glasses are more special.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Who are those? Lipanov was nowhere near KHL, others are being allowed to go left and right.

I disagree.

He is a smart, 2-way player that can contribute in the bottom 6 role while his offensive game is rounding into shape.

Kostin also would have played far more most likely.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I disagree.

He is a smart, 2-way player that can contribute in the bottom 6 role while his offensive game is rounding into shape.

Kostin also would have played far more most likely.

He is 17 and played only in handful of games for Balashika during the play-off run so realistically I think it's safe to say if he did play it would had been in very limited role.

Kostin on the other hand yeah, I agree, if St. Louis sends him to WHL he jumped the gun. But I doubt they will/hope they won't.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
No CHL and I'm also hoping no Blues either. I hope they won't rush him to NHL. He isn't ready and it could mess with him.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He will most likely get sent down to the AHL which is the most sensible option for the Blues. Unless he asks out to Europe but since he was so eager to leave he probably won't.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I don't see a big conspiracy, I see a really basic one. Can you please then explain me why was the action taken just terminating all the contracts rather than sorting it out any other way? If it was not to get out of commitments?

Can you please tell me you understand the simple fact there are rules in the league. If you don't it will be impossible explain anything to you without ending up with your conspiracy theories.

How Dynamo would be able to participate in the league not fulfilling the obligations any other team has to fulfill?

Sorting it out one other way? Which way? Letting the team dissolve? And leaving the players with what?

Who wins in this case? Players wouldn't get their money and even the possibility to continue playing in the KHL. The league will lose a team, have a butchered schedule on it's hands.

Who gets here out of commitments? The course of action taken is basically a way to not get out of commitments.

You are free to come up with a brilliant idea how it could have been possible to keep the players employed and the team intact.
Also you are telling me I look through some special glasses and moments later that it was "the only course of action given the circumstances". Really? That, in your opinion, was the only possibility? Between two of us, I don't know whose glasses are more special.

I am listening. Your perfect plan to resolve the situation? So far you only claim there could be some other great solution, but you fail to present it.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
By a different owner a.k.a. people currently running the Dynamo simply taking over the team as it was, trading players you can't afford and paying those you have left. You know, dealing with it like a legitimate hockey club would instead of dealing with it if it was a tire fire. And you are telling me those are not THE rules, THE rules are those under which Dynamo got out of that situation through myriad of dodgy-ass moves.

And the funny thing is, you blame for somehow having a negative opinion on the matter instead of blaming the people who make whole world look at the KHL like it was a bush league operation.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
By a different owner a.k.a. people currently running the Dynamo simply taking over the team as it was, trading players you can't afford and paying those you have left. You know, dealing with it like a legitimate hockey club would instead of dealing with it if it was a tire fire. And you are telling me those are not THE rules, THE rules are those under which Dynamo got out of that situation through myriad of dodgy-ass moves.

And the funny thing is, you blame for somehow having a negative opinion on the matter instead of blaming the people who make whole world look at the KHL like it was a bush league operation.

I see couple of issues with that kind of taking over:

1) it would take all responsibilities/charges away from Safronov.
2) it might lead to a bankruptcy of Dynamo if they are unable to deal with the debt.
3) it might be complicated with the trades too, as players that don't get paid for two months can apply for an UFA status, so they would just walk away instead of the trade.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I see couple of issues with that kind of taking over:

1) it would take all responsibilities/charges away from Safronov.
2) it might lead to a bankruptcy of Dynamo if they are unable to deal with the debt.
3) it might be complicated with the trades too, as players that don't get paid for two months can apply for an UFA status, so they would just walk away instead of the trade.

1) I am not a lawyer so I really don't know. Maybe that is indeed the reason for this sort of action but it seems weird there wasn't any other way.
2) But the current Dynamo operation seemingly has more or less the same budget, someone like Hietanen really doesn't sign cheap. Seems unlikely that the team with such future commitments would be unable to deal with a couple of months debt.
3) If they walked you are in exactly the same place you are in now.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
1) I am not a lawyer so I really don't know. Maybe that is indeed the reason for this sort of action but it seems weird there wasn't any other way.
2) But the current Dynamo operation seemingly has more or less the same budget, someone like Hietanen really doesn't sign cheap. Seems unlikely that the team with such future commitments would be unable to deal with a couple of months debt.
3) If they walked you are in exactly the same place you are in now.

Just to clarify, that 'couple of months debt' is around 11.5m USD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad