Dylan Strome or Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I say this as someone who prefers Strome - but the leafs will likely be bad for a while: plenty of time to get that top line centre if they pick a winger this year.

I think you have to keep drafting candidates to be top end centers and hope they pan out. A lot of other rebuilding teams spend many drafts trying to find the right player.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Explain yours!

What are you driving at? You're using ONE example of ONE bad pick from 20 years ago as a way to say that Strome may not be a good pick? Because that's what it seems like and if so, that's ridiculous.

I gave another example three posts ago: James Van Riemsdyk.

Big and a centre at the college level.

Turned out to be...

Soft and a winger at the pro level.

These things happen more often than you'd have believe. There's one on the very team you support and you don't know this?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Nylander could be a centre in the NHL. He played C in Modo.

He played wing in WJC but it was obvious with the way he moved through the neutral zone and into offensive zone that he was essentially playing C.

Even Kadri played wing in the AHL right? Next year if he doesn't make the Leafs, he's likely to be playing C in the AHL IMO.

I've always thought that the Leafs have though of him as a winger. He didn't get the shot in the pre-season and they didn't play him at centre now.

He's going to get more of an opportunity to showcase his skill if he plays on the wing.

Kadri played both centre and the wing in his 1st year.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think it's a pretty tough call regardless.

Both guys are plenty talented and skilled and both have the ability to play center (Marner just hasn't done it as much this year).

I might lean towards Strome because the skill and size is appealing. But at the end of the day both really good prospects.

At this point I haven't seen nearly enough from either to say which is definitely the guy I'd rather have. If we can stay at 4 and have the chance to draft either guy I'd consider that a nice position to be in.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014

Turned out to be...

These things happen more often than you'd have believe. There's one on the very team you support and you don't know this?

Reallllly bad examples. One guy who didn't work out 20 years ago and one guy who has worked out great as a winger. Why don't you focus on Strome and what Strome is doing rather than some guys 20 years ago and JVR.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Turned out to be...

When you look at what a lot of rebuilding teams have done, they've basically been stockpiling centermen. Buffalo has drafted guys like Girgensons, Grigorenko, Reinhart, will probably add McDavid or Eichel this June, Florida has collected Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, Trochek.

What this tells me is it's a numbers game and a crap shoot and you might need many cracks at finding that franchise changing centerman. The guys who don't end up as centers can be converted into useful wingers, a la JVR. Even a player like Patrick Marleau, who was drafted as a franchise centerman, found himself converted to wing.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
You take Strome, he's more ready and as much as I like the high motor of Marner, its gonna take him 2/3 years to develop physically and get to the bigs. Plus you don't know if he can play center at his size in the bigs, while Strome can probably play Center for you next year at 6'3 190lb.

The real question is if Edmonton surprises everyone and takes one of Strome/Marner at #3 who do you take b/w Hanifin and Marner/Strome??

Classic Don Cherry would be like, "LEAFS TAKE THE AMERICAN OVER THA GOOD OL' TRONNA KID AGAIN!!". I honestly don't know who I'd take if it came down to this.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Reallllly bad examples. One guy who didn't work out 20 years ago and one guy who has worked out great as a winger. Why don't you focus on Strome and what Strome is doing rather than some guys 20 years ago and JVR.

The point is people are selecting Strome strictly on the basis that he's a centre at the OHL level....meanwhile Marner is too (?)

Things you and I don't know:

1) What forward position Strome will play at the pro level
2) What forward position Marner will play at the pro level

1-A) How well Strome will play that position at the pro level
2-A) How well Marner will play that position at the pro level

If Marner is drafted by Toronto and is a better winger at the pro level than Strome is at the centre position then Toronto wins.

#1 LW/RW > #2C

This is ultimately what I feel is in the cards here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You take Strome, he's more ready and as much as I like the high motor of Marner, its gonna take him 2/3 years to develop physically and get to the bigs. Plus you don't know if he can play center at his size in the bigs, while Strome can probably play Center for you next year at 6'3 190lb.

The real question is if Edmonton surprises everyone and takes one of Strome/Marner at #3 who do you take b/w Hanifin and Marner/Strome??

Classic Don Cherry would be like, "LEAFS TAKE THE AMERICAN OVER THA GOOD OL' TRONNA KID AGAIN!!". I honestly don't know who I'd take if it came down to this.

Gotta make sure you have an accurate read on Hanifin then. I don't really want a defenseman, but on the other hand, if Hanifin starts looking like Ryan McDonagh in a couple of years and Marner and Strome aren't nearly as good, that will have really hurt the rebuild.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Explain yours!

What are you driving at? You're using ONE example of ONE bad pick from 20 years ago as a way to say that Strome may not be a good pick? Because that's what it seems like and if so, that's ridiculous.

Yes and I am aware there are others(with out going into a lot of detail) I am not saying Strome will be a dud(Far from it) but his skating is suspect and he is playing on a better team with Erie, I think above all we should pick the best player available when we pick. And I would pick Marner others would pick Strome., I just think he is a more sure thing, without using the blood lines of Dylan.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
The point is people are selecting Strome strictly on the basis that he's a centre at the OHL level....meanwhile Marner is too (?)

Things you and I don't know:

1) What forward position Strome will play at the pro level
2) What forward position Marner will play at the pro level

1-A) How well Strome will play that position at the pro level
2-A) How well Marner will play that position at the pro level

True, we don't know those things but looking at what has happened with other players will not tell us the answers to those questions. No way to know until we come to that bridge.

Take the best player available and that seems to be Strome. I don't think most are selecting Strome solely on the basis that he's a centre, but that does seem to be part of it, is for me. It's not the whole reason for the decision, however.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
True, we don't know those things but looking at what has happened with other players will not tell us the answers to those questions. No way to know until we come to that bridge.

Take the best player available and that seems to be Strome. I don't think most are selecting Strome solely on the basis that he's a centre, but that does seem to be part of it, is for me. It's not the whole reason for the decision, however.

You can't really lose here all that much.

It could be a toss up, at the end of the day, but I do feel strongly that Marner will be a solid pro.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
Marner is more than a dynamic winger. He is a great all-round player, who's clutch as well. He's drawn comparisons to Patrick Kane and Claude Giroux. You're telling me you wouldn't want any of those? Marner could possibly play center position as well.

You know who else constantly draws comparisons to Kane?

Phil Kessel.

I'd trade either Kane or Kessel for a real 1c, I guess that means I'd pass up on Marner for one too.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Didn't vote because i don't care which one we get, but I am shocked at the poll. No way I would have thought Strome would be that far ahead. i wonder how much his game today had to do with it?

Trigger96

Mar 3, 2006

The REAL question is if the leafs could get a second top 10 pick would you take Strome/Marner, Marner/Hanifin, Strome/Hanifin, Marner/Provorov, Strome/Provorov, or Hanifin/Provorov

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You know who else constantly draws comparisons to Kane?

Phil Kessel.

I'd trade either Kane or Kessel for a real 1c, I guess that means I'd pass up on Marner for one too.

Marner plays centre in the OHL.

First of all, what convinces you:

A) That he will be a winger in the NHL

and

B) He will play like Kessel or Kane

Please enlighten us.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Didn't vote because i don't care which one we get, but I am shocked at the poll. No way I would have thought Strome would be that far ahead. i wonder how much his game today had to do with it?

It's clear it has plenty to do with it.

Ask these guys who was the 2nd best player on the ice...

I was there, I can tell you.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
colour me in the "I just want a great player for the organization" camp. don't care.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Just reporting the facts here and I do not want to get into Team Strome or Team Marner's way. Since I have these guys side by side in the draft rankings, and we have yet to see either in the playoffs which will sway some minds.

But the Month Of March is telling.

Marnier 8GP 1G 6A = 7pts -4

Strome 9GP 9G 11A = 20 pts +12

Strome really came on strong.

Or they stuck Max Domi on a perfectly sound line of Dvorak-Marner-Rupert and their rhythm was completely stuffed.

Domi likes the puck and his stat line a little too much.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
There is something to say about Marner playing on a less offensive team.

Name|Points|GP|Points Per|TEAM GF|GF Multiplier
Marner|126|63|2|289|1
Strome|124|67|1.85|331|0.87
Adjusted Strome|108.27|67|1.62

Keeping in mind I'm only looking at % of team goals for the adjustment, looks like Marner might have a slight advantage. I don't know if ice time is published on OHL.com but that would be the next step in identifying who is truly the better prospect.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
There is something to say about Marner playing on a less offensive team.

Name|Points|GP|Points Per|TEAM GF|GF Multiplier
Marner|126|63|2|289|1
Strome|124|67|1.85|331|0.87
Adjusted Strome|108.27|67|1.62

Keeping in mind I'm only looking at % of team goals for the adjustment, looks like Marner might have a slight advantage. I don't know if ice time is published on OHL.com but that would be the next step in identifying who is truly the better prospect.

Now do Crouse

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

First of all, what convinces you:

and

B) He will play like Kessel or Kane

Please enlighten us.

news to me. his own coach admitted he didn't play center at all this year and rarely at all the year before

It's clear it has plenty to do with it.

Ask these guys who was the 2nd best player on the ice...

I was there, I can tell you.

I watched. Thought Baptiste had a good game personally.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009

What convinces you

and

Marner looks more like a winger, he plays off the puck more like a winger. He's often in the high % scoring area of the backdoor. He looks like he can play both wings tho, but he looks like a winger more then a center. I can't speak for faceoff % because that is not publicly available information. I'm watching his highlights as I haven't seen any Knights games this season.

His size has an impact on whether he can play center as well, considering that he would likely command 1st line time would he be better matched up against centers or wingers? Last point, Craig Button calls him a winger. When discussing Marner vs Strome he said he goes for the center and gave the nod to Strome.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
After watching them both play this year I think I prefer Marner.

But if you're standing on the podium it would take a huge amount of guts to pick Marner over Strome. Especially the Leafs who need a big centre more than anything.

Strome seems to be the obvious pick in that spot so if you take Strome and Marner ends up the better player no one would think twice. But if you take Marner and he busts and Strome ends up a star you look like a complete idiot.

Bottom line is I think both of these guys are going to be solid NHLers but neither of them are franchise changers. I think a lot of people are overestimating the impact Strome could have.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Explain yours!

If your going to debate you should respond ............... its a fair gesture. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad