Dylan Strome 56 points this season, 20 goals (1 game left)

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
The trade wasn't ideal but Schmaltz is a hell of a player. Perlini is streaky and mostly bad. Strome would never have done this in Arizona.

The Domi/Galchenyuk trade has worked for both sides. Galchenyuk has been better for Arizona than Domi was.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Of all the trades, Arizona just had to make this one. I'm still flabbergasted by their decision-making.
He wasnt going to score like this with Arizona. Chicago is playing Hawaii -hockey with little regard to defense. Think Islanders last year. I really think his scoring will come down once they start to tighten up their game.

Reactions: Conbon

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
He is still a huge bust. There are nine forwards and five defensemen from that draft class who've had better seasons and who I would take over him any day of the week
Do you know what a bust is? Just because there were people taken after him that are better doesn't mean he busted. Are Nico Hischier and Nolan Patrick busts?

Reactions: Dr Black

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
He's been good for us. Needs to get a step quicker and add some weight to his frame (he's tall, but too lanky ATM). I expect that he'll etch out a similar career to Ryan Johansen (big, not very mobile, pass-first center who'll usually put up 60-70pts and be viewed as a lower end 1C).

Schmaltz was also a good player and hopefully he can fully recover from his acl injury.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
In short order Chicago has reloaded with a couple of really nice young pieces...Strome and Debrincat (who is a 41 goal scorer in case you didn't know). Playoff team next year.

Also, if Strome really is a 60 - 70 point center than the 2015 draft is the best of all time.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
The trade wasn't ideal but Schmaltz is a hell of a player. Perlini is streaky and mostly bad. Strome would never have done this in Arizona.

The Domi/Galchenyuk trade has worked for both sides. Galchenyuk has been better for Arizona than Domi was.

That's a hard sell. Domi is at another level than Galchenyuk. Trade is a massive win for Montreal and there's no denying it

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That's a hard sell. Domi is at another level than Galchenyuk. Trade is a massive win for Montreal and there's no denying it
And both teams are finishing 9th.

Crazy.

There’s an interesting angle somewhere in all of this.

Chayka gave up on Domi and Strome too early. That said, Galchenyuk has easily been Arizona’s best forward this season. Domi was never that for the Coyotes.

Strome has been amazing for the Hawks. He wasn’t for Arizona. And Schmaltz certainly was. He was really the only thing that got Clayton Keller going at all this season.

Schmaltz now has a seven year extension in place. I expect Galchenyuk will have a matching deal very shortly. Domi and Strome have been so amazing for their new teams that there is a temptation to just call these trades right now. However, assuming Galchenyuk extends, we likely have another five years remaining on this evaluation.

Further complicating matters would be if Arizona manages to qualify for the playoffs while Montreal and Chicago do not. As a Coyotes fan I’m furious about these trades. Yet, the Coyotes have undeniably taken a big step forward. If these new guys are fitting in great, signed long term, and the team is improving, it’s tough to stay completely outraged.

It’s possible both deals end up the quintessential win-win trade example. One thing is for sure, neither Chicago nor Montreal have lost these deals. Both are winners. It remains to be seen whether Arizona can say the same. There’s a half decent chance everybody wins all around on these.

Reactions: dk2k

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He is still a huge bust. There are nine forwards and five defensemen from that draft class who've had better seasons and who I would take over him any day of the week

Pavel Zacha is a huge bust. Dylan Strome is turning into what he was projected to be - a 70p cerebral center.

Strome has 16g 48p in 55gp with the hawks this season. That's a 24g 72p pace, not bad for a guy who just turned 22, especially considering the fact that big guys tend to take a bit longer to develop.

For context, just last year, Marner had 22g 69p over a full season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad