Player Discussion: dylan samberg

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he played a solid 1st game in which the jets dominated and the red wings weren't really that good. pumping the brakes a bit, however a solid first outing. hopefully he builds upon this.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Maybe change to a player discussion thread?

He's looked solid through 12 games so far bouncing between second and third pair. I think he's been better than what we've gotten from Forbort or Stanley in recent years, which then has me question why we didn't give him a shot last year. Even after acquiring Benn at the TDL he had never been brought up by the org as an option.

Still dunno how he fits next year. There has to be a trade. I still think this org has Stanley over him in their eyes.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

He's looked solid through 12 games so far bouncing between second and third pair. I think he's been better than what we've gotten from Forbort or Stanley in recent years, which then has me question why we didn't give him a shot last year. Even after acquiring Benn at the TDL he had never been brought up by the org as an option.

Still dunno how he fits next year. There has to be a trade. I still think this org has Stanley over him in their eyes.
I'd say he is now in over Stan -
If he can stay healthy (which is what has held him out at times), he'll be a regular in the line up.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I don’t think the org is married to Stan over Samberg. I think they were married to the draft position more than anything. It’s more odd how they seem more committed to him than Heinola, who at least is a fellow first rounder.
Hard to know how much of it was a Maurice/Lowry preference or as we have posited before, whether Chevy supports or even drives the direction.
I don’t blame them for seeing what they have in Stanley, it’s just at the expense of both Heinola and to a lesser degree Samberg that I don’t get. The opportunity to make mistakes and keep getting opportunities doesn’t seem to be afforded equally among a lot of young players. It’s inconsistent and confusing.
Then of course, we have the never ending parade of plugs like Beaulieu and Sbisa who take playing time away from our youth as well. The develop half of the Jets much talked about draft and develop strategy leaves a lot to be desired. Samberg, as a college age player, should have been given a shot at the big roster far sooner imo. Looking at him now, there is no doubt he can handle the game from a strength perspective.
Interesting year coming, assuming a brand new coaching staff. We’ll get a much better idea whether player development has been a coaching issue or an organizational one with Chevy’s fingerprints heavily on it.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
When it comes to our roster I think the key is not what has happened up until now and more about what the new coaches are going to do. How the Jets have played this season is going to get people fired so one would assume there will be a reset with new coaches and new ideas. We shall see how that impacts player usage.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don’t think the org is married to Stan over Samberg. I think they were married to the draft position more than anything. It’s more odd how they seem more committed to him than Heinola, who at least is a fellow first rounder.
Hard to know how much of it was a Maurice/Lowry preference or as we have posited before, whether Chevy supports or even drives the direction.
I don’t blame them for seeing what they have in Stanley, it’s just at the expense of both Heinola and to a lesser degree Samberg that I don’t get. The opportunity to make mistakes and keep getting opportunities doesn’t seem to be afforded equally among a lot of young players. It’s inconsistent and confusing.
Then of course, we have the never ending parade of plugs like Beaulieu and Sbisa who take playing time away from our youth as well. The develop half of the Jets much talked about draft and develop strategy leaves a lot to be desired. Samberg, as a college age player, should have been given a shot at the big roster far sooner imo. Looking at him now, there is no doubt he can handle the game from a strength perspective.
Interesting year coming, assuming a brand new coaching staff. We’ll get a much better idea whether player development has been a coaching issue or an organizational one with Chevy’s fingerprints heavily on it.
well stan was selected in the first, and they used a high 2nd to move up to grab him. so whether it be draft position or the player himself doesnt really matter how you word it. stanley got and imo will get the opportunity over samberg.

i dont blame them for seeing what they have in stanley either. he was in his draft+5th year and it's about time you see what you have in him. funny it took sbisa getting waived and beaulieu put on IR for them to give stanley a look, but i digress. point is there was room both. Forbort was god awful after a solid first few weeks, for a supposed draft-and-develop team, they initially favored the likes of forbort/sbisa/beaulieu and later benn over 2 highly rated prospects and stanley.

this year they continued to roll with stanley who has been pretty underwhelming in a 3rd pair role. his upside is limited, i dont care if he's 6'7 he cant defend. and of course it takes injuries/covid for samberg to play. anyway, we'll see what next year brings but to-date they have favored stanley over samberg.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Samberg was on CJOB this morning.
He and Perfetti are going on a fly in fishing trip to Island Lake and they are giving away tickets to someone to join them but I am not sure what you had to do to win it.
Said he is taking his dad with him and that his dad is pumped. His dad got him into hunting and fishing at an early age.
He said he got Cole into fishing this winter and that Perfetti pulled up a 29 inch pic. Also said they went out with Helle this winter.
He said the Jets' trainer will be there as well.
Samberg and Perfetti live together.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
well stan was selected in the first, and they used a high 2nd to move up to grab him. so whether it be draft position or the player himself doesnt really matter how you word it. stanley got and imo will get the opportunity over samberg.

i dont blame them for seeing what they have in stanley either. he was in his draft+5th year and it's about time you see what you have in him. funny it took sbisa getting waived and beaulieu put on IR for them to give stanley a look, but i digress. point is there was room both. Forbort was god awful after a solid first few weeks, for a supposed draft-and-develop team, they initially favored the likes of forbort/sbisa/beaulieu and later benn over 2 highly rated prospects and stanley.

this year they continued to roll with stanley who has been pretty underwhelming in a 3rd pair role. his upside is limited, i dont care if he's 6'7 he cant defend. and of course it takes injuries/covid for samberg to play. anyway, we'll see what next year brings but to-date they have favored stanley over samberg.
I think of the Jets make a big trade this summer involving Scheifele or possibly even Wheeler, there’s a good chance Stanley is a part of it.

Hot take, you know. Samberg does everything Stan does, but better. That much is evident already just by watching their physical skill set and how they see the game. Not anointing Samberg by any means but some things aren’t hard to predict.
Chevy absolutely has to sort out the left side D as part of this summer. It’s gone from a complete Black hole outside of JoMo to somewhat of a surplus (jury is out on whether it’s a position of strength).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think of the Jets make a big trade this summer involving Scheifele or possibly even Wheeler, there’s a good chance Stanley is a part of it.

Hot take, you know. Samberg does everything Stan does, but better. That much is evident already just by watching their physical skill set and how they see the game. Not anointing Samberg by any means but some things aren’t hard to predict.
Chevy absolutely has to sort out the left side D as part of this summer. It’s gone from a complete Black hole outside of JoMo to somewhat of a surplus (jury is out on whether it’s a position of strength).

Agreed, I think one of our mid tier LD needs to be moved for forward depth.

I also see Stanley being packaged with one of Mark/Blake

Reactions: Heldig

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Samberg was on CJOB this morning.
He and Perfetti are going on a fly in fishing trip to Island Lake and they are giving away tickets to someone to join them but I am not sure what you had to do to win it.
Said he is taking his dad with him and that his dad is pumped. His dad got him into hunting and fishing at an early age.
He said he got Cole into fishing this winter and that Perfetti pulled up a 29 inch pic. Also said they went out with Helle this winter.
He said the Jets' trainer will be there as well.
Samberg and Perfetti live together.

Ah so that is what Cole was talking about at his PC. Makes sense as they have been Moose/Jets teammates the last few seasons.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Agreed, I think one of our mid tier LD needs to be moved for forward depth.

I also see Stanley being packaged with one of Mark/Blake
If Dillon isn't moved, he needs to be our 3RHD.

JMo DD
Sammy Pionk
Heinola Dillon
Stanimal/Kovs

I don't know why the Jets' coaches have never used the 23 man roster to its full extent.
I wouldn't mind seeing Heinola come out and a bigger D go in for some games.
If we carry 8 D men on the roster, use them. Even Dillon and Pionk during the year could take games off (b2b for example) and let Kovs get some games in.

Same as the extra forward. If you have him and there isn't that big of a drop off in talent, use him.

I know it's off topic but I really hope they re-sign Comrie and he gets at least 25 games.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Well we'll see if they move either scheifele or wheeler. I am doubtful. I don't disagree with your summary of samberg vs Stanley. However I'm not the one making the roster. I think they for some reason desperately want to make Logan Stanley a thing. They protected him over DeMelo merely a year ago. Remember it took injuries and covid to Beaulieu, Stanley and Dillon for samberg to debut. Who's to say Chevy doesn't sign Beaulieu again? Or another dman of similar Ilk (sbisa, dahkstrom ufa's? :sarcasm:)

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I think it comes down to the fact that they really wanted Stan to be a player on this roster and gave him more time over others to confirm. That might not seem fair but the investment was already there and they are going to have a long, hard look.
Samberg is also a guy they probably wanted in the line up more often and likely earlier but he's has some miserable bad luck with injuries and at the worst times.
Samberg is getting a hard look right now and we know Chevy likes him (he made that clear in an interview earlier) - I see him in the lineup next season and depending on if and who they move out of the D lineup. I also wouldn't be surprised if they try to move one of them to their off wing

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

Samberg is showing ready, now. His guffaws are all related to maybe over trying and a fellow teammate completely blowing their assignment on covering "somebody". He is strong, steady, responsible, aware, smooth with the puck but never overplaying or desparate with it. He exudes confidence and maturity without any real experience at this level. I could see cutting ties with Dillon and Schmidt, providing Heinola steps up this coming season, and not be a major drop but likely an improvement. I believe Samberg needs to fill an important spot with regular duty this season. And hope Heinola proves ready, too, and that new coaching ideals and faces recognize this.

Reactions: macmaroon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Samberg is showing ready, now. His guffaws are all related to maybe over trying and a fellow teammate completely blowing their assignment on covering "somebody". He is strong, steady, responsible, aware, smooth with the puck but never overplaying or desparate with it. He exudes confidence and maturity without any real experience at this level. I could see cutting ties with Dillon and Schmidt, providing Heinola steps up this coming season, and not be a major drop but likely an improvement. I believe Samberg needs to fill an important spot with regular duty this season. And hope Heinola proves ready, too, and that new coaching ideals and faces recognize this.
I don't disagree, he's looked solid.

I hope Jets management see it that way and play him as a regular. He's entering his draft+6th year, he should be starting to play at a competent NHL level.

I will qualify and say he's only played 15 games at like 14-15m ATOI. Read people's opinion on Stanley from the Canadian Division year. He was adequate too. So I'm just going to temper my expectations a bit on his ceiling. But no doubt he filled in nicely this year when injuries/covid hit.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I hope Jets management see it that way and play him as a regular. He's entering his draft+6th year, he should be starting to play at a competent NHL level.

I will qualify and say he's only played 15 games at like 14-15m ATOI. Read people's opinion on Stanley from the Canadian Division year. He was adequate too. So I'm just going to temper my expectations a bit on his ceiling. But no doubt he filled in nicely this year when injuries/covid hit.

Well I see him developing into a good number 4 defensive dmen. No star but a useful player to have on our team. So I'm not expecting the world from him, just a steady physical defensive guy that can move the puck fairly well.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Well I see him developing into a good number 4 defensive dmen. No star but a useful player to have on our team. So I'm not expecting the world from him, just a steady physical defensive guy that can move the puck fairly well.

What I like is that to me Dylan provides a possibility for value against the Cap. If Samberg is able to defend well in the #4 spot move the puck without racking up allot of points then you can get those players cheaper. We only have so much cap to work with. Maybe Perfetti or one of the 2021 draft picks can eventually provide point productive ELC value? Ville is another asset that could provide solid value on his ELC.

Stan is Stan. I’ll remain patient but so far he is a bottom pairing asset and they are easy to replace.

Reactions: DRW204 and surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What I like is that to me Dylan provides a possibility for value against the Cap. If Samberg is able to defend well in the #4 spot move the puck without racking up allot of points then you can get those players cheaper. We only have so much cap to work with. Maybe Perfetti or one of the 2021 draft picks can eventually provide point productive ELC value? Ville is another asset that could provide solid value on his ELC.

Stan is Stan. I’ll remain patient but so far he is a bottom pairing asset and they are easy to replace.
yeah samberg i think can be a player similar to perhaps pesce? pesce is usually good for high 20s in pts while 21 mins a night. listed at 6'4 201 lb. although it took pesce up until his draft+3rd year to play a high amount of nhl games.

as far as stanley i thought he fared well in the Canadian Division season, and i thought at points he couldve had a top-4 look w/ the way Pionk was carrying Forbort. this year i thought he wasn't really good at all. he's in his draft+7th year, idk how much better we can expect from him. especially if he's not w/ demelo.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
yeah samberg i think can be a player similar to perhaps pesce? pesce is usually good for high 20s in pts while 21 mins a night. listed at 6'4 201 lb. although it took pesce up until his draft+3rd year to play a high amount of nhl games.

as far as stanley i thought he fared well in the Canadian Division season, and i thought at points he couldve had a top-4 look w/ the way Pionk was carrying Forbort. this year i thought he wasn't really good at all. he's in his draft+7th year, idk how much better we can expect from him. especially if he's not w/ demelo.
Stan's going to need some tutelage - maybe a lot
He's poor positionally, his gap is terrible, and he's not using his size along the walls or in front -
All of those things are areas that can be taught.

He has a wing span that he doesn't use to his advantage - especially when dealing with speedy puck carriers.
He needs to learn how to back off and use his span to cut down the options for the puck carrier - he's not going to do well if he tightens up that gap too much and relies on quickness and skating (LOL). Teaching can help him here.

He appears lost when things get rolling in the D zone - he doesn't have the ability to adjust quickly so he needs to be better positionally - there is no reason he can't be taught that.

He needs to be meaner - much meaner. This can also be taught to an extent - it's about being more aggressive on the man - and learning how to lay out a good check - this can also be taught

He already has a good shot and he has shown that he can pass the puck - good outlets (unless he is running around in a panic with the rest of them).
He has the size to be over bearing and intimidating - these are really nice traits in a dman. He'll never be a Buff or a Chara - but he only needs to be closer to what they are to be a guy you hate going into the corner with or when you decide to stand in front of the net.

These are the things the Jets wanted when they drafted him - I'm hoping he gets better support on these areas when the coaching shift happens. I'm holding out for one more shot -

Reactions: GumbyCan2 and ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Stan's going to need some tutelage - maybe a lot
He's poor positionally, his gap is terrible, and he's not using his size along the walls or in front -
All of those things are areas that can be taught.

He has a wing span that he doesn't use to his advantage - especially when dealing with speedy puck carriers.
He needs to learn how to back off and use his span to cut down the options for the puck carrier - he's not going to do well if he tightens up that gap too much and relies on quickness and skating (LOL). Teaching can help him here.

He appears lost when things get rolling in the D zone - he doesn't have the ability to adjust quickly so he needs to be better positionally - there is no reason he can't be taught that.

He needs to be meaner - much meaner. This can also be taught to an extent - it's about being more aggressive on the man - and learning how to lay out a good check - this can also be taught

He already has a good shot and he has shown that he can pass the puck - good outlets (unless he is running around in a panic with the rest of them).
He has the size to be over bearing and intimidating - these are really nice traits in a dman. He'll never be a Buff or a Chara - but he only needs to be closer to what they are to be a guy you hate going into the corner with or when you decide to stand in front of the net.

These are the things the Jets wanted when they drafted him - I'm hoping he gets better support on these areas when the coaching shift happens. I'm holding out for one more shot -

The issue with Stanley is that all the things you mentioned that he has major issues with are the exact same things he's had massive issues with going back to his draft year. The kid has always been miscast as a defensive dmen, his defensive play has always been a giant cluster f***.

What he has is a hard shot and a bit of puck skill and vision. Unfortunately not enough of it to make up for his lack of foot speed and poor defensive play.

He made some strides under Vincent in the AHL but he has a huge up hill climb. I think he deserves an opportunity with a new coaching scheme but the things you have mentioned are the things they have been working on with him for 7 years now with minimal improvement. How much longer do you give him?

Reactions: Stumbledore

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The issue with Stanley is that all the things you mentioned that he has major issues with are the exact same things he's had massive issues with going back to his draft year. The kid has always been miscast as a defensive dmen, his defensive play has always been a giant cluster f***.

What he has is a hard shot and a bit of puck skill and vision. Unfortunately not enough of it to make up for his lack of foot speed and poor defensive play.

He made some strides under Vincent in the AHL but he has a huge up hill climb. I think he deserves an opportunity with a new coaching scheme but the things you have mentioned are the things they have been working on with him for 7 years now with minimal improvement. How much longer do you give him?
I also think they were making progress - LY was better (even under easier circumstances) -
I think this year he was caught up in the mess they were all caught up in - a complete breakdown in their end.
I don't agree with your description of the player - bolded above - that's a bit harsh considering how bad guys like Smitty and Pionk were at defending.

You give him a shot under new coaching - as I noted - that's how much longer you give him.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I also think they were making progress - LY was better (even under easier circumstances) -
I think this year he was caught up in the mess they were all caught up in - a complete breakdown in their end.
I don't agree with your description of the player - bolded above - that's a bit harsh considering how bad guys like Smitty and Pionk were at defending.

You give him a shot under new coaching - as I noted - that's how much longer you give him.

I've been following him closely since he was drafted. I've made numerous posts over the years on his awful gap, poor positioning and lack of foot speed. Me calling his defensive game out is nothing new.

Also just because others were a nightmare in their end this past year doesn't mean he wasn't as well. The other two do bring point production to the table though that somewhat offsets things.

I stand by it he's an offensive dmen that doesn't have enough offense so they are trying to pigeon hole him as a big physical defensive dmen even though he's never been good in his end and likely never will be.

Reactions: Mathil8

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I've been following him closely since he was drafted. I've made numerous posts over the years on his awful gap, poor positioning and lack of foot speed. Me calling his defensive game out is nothing new.

Also just because others were a nightmare in their end this past year doesn't mean he wasn't as well. The other two do bring point production to the table though that somewhat offsets things.

I stand by it he's an offensive dmen that doesn't have enough offense so they are trying to pigeon hole him as a big physical defensive dmen even though he's never been good in his end and likely never will be.
I'm simply stating that the guy might come to life under decent coaching -
You can go with total failure if you like - I'm not going to argue the difference.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm simply stating that the guy might come to life under decent coaching -
You can go with total failure if you like - I'm not going to argue the difference.

I don't believe I've called him a failure just pointing out his defensive play has never been a strength. He likely with better coaching can be the solid third pairing guy we saw last year.

I just believe we have better players available on the team and in the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad