Dylan McIlrath vs. Duncan Siemens

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
I hear/read a lot of similarities between the two. Both big defensive first guys that can also drop the gloves. Seimens seems to have more offensive potential in the W but that may/may not translate into the NHL. So whats the biggest difference between the guys? Who is better? Who would you take? And yes as you can tell I haven't seen them play that much. ;)

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
I hear/read a lot of similarities between the two. Both big defensive first guys that can also drop the gloves. Seimens seems to have more offensive potential in the W but that may/may not translate into the NHL. So whats the biggest difference between the guys? Who is better? Who would you take? And yes as you can tell I haven't seen them play that much. ;)

Mcilrath project to somewhat bigger at 6'5 and around 250 lbs. Siemens not as much.

Mcilrath is already feared fighter and looks to be same at the NHL level. He will have an initimidating presence that Siemens will not have.

From scouting reports, it looks like their skill set and skating seems to be similar.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Skating is the biggest difference.

Siemens is an elite skater with great mobility for a big guy. A great first few steps that can keep up with the fastest players in the WHL already as a 17 year old.

The two are pretty similar, but McIlrath is bigger and tougher and is definitely a more feared fighter.

Siemens is a great fighter though, don't get me wrong. I have seen him fight 20 year olds and handle them quite easily. People continue to underestimate his strength and fighting ability.

Here's a fight with Siemens from the weekend against Matt Fraser, who is a 20 year old and is 6'2 and almost 220 pounds. Siemens out muscles him pretty easily....

Along with that Siemens also has the better offensive upside. Both are solid passers who make a good first pass, but Siemens is much better at jumping into the rush and creating offense compared to McIlrath.

McIlrath is hands down the better defensive player though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad