Injury Report: Dylan McIlrath (1/6: Skated without problem )

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Guess Dylan just isn't instant gratification enough for some people.

Look at Forbort, he's even further away than Mcilrath.

He was drafted almost 4 years ago and looks nowhere near NHL ready. But yea, instant gratification.

Regarding Forbort, dont know how another team ****ing up a high draft pick absolves the Rangers.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Tarasenko, Bjugstad, Schwartz, Hayes - plenty of names to discuss besides Fowler. Any of those guys would have added to what this team needs. But that year Dan Girardi stood there as Gaborik caught a beating, that made the Mcilrath pick happen, theres no doubt.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Never cared much for Fowler. I don't like soft defensemen.

McIlrath is still only 21. D-men usually take more time to develop than forwards. Some people need to keep that in mind. Carkner was a lot older by the time he finally played his first NHL game. Carkner is not as good a skater. Dylan also had a serious knee injury last year. At this point in time I wouldn't say he's ready but he's an acceptable call up. Allen looks more ready and AV seemed more comfortable with Allen's skill set than he was with McIlrath's.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
He was drafted almost 4 years ago and looks nowhere near NHL ready. But yea, instant gratification.

Regarding Forbort, dont know how another team ****ing up a high draft pick absolves the Rangers.

These guys are 21 years old. Big defensemen take a long time to develop.

That you think Forbort also is a wasted pick shows how little you care about long term, and how much you care about instant gratification

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Nowhere near NHL ready? Were you watching the same games I was?

McIlrath looked shaky but not out of place. He needs a bit more time.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Nowhere near NHL ready? Were you watching the same games I was?

McIlrath looked shaky but not out of place. He needs a bit more time.

I was. So was Vigneault, who made him a healthy scratch before sending him back down.

At this point, more time is the only solution we can hope for. Im still optimistic he can become an NHL regular, but hes moving into the zone where the B-word is not too far off.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I was. So was Vigneault, who made him a healthy scratch before sending him back down.

At this point, more time is the only solution we can hope for. Im still optimistic he can become an NHL regular, but hes moving into the zone where the B-word is not too far off.

No, no he's not. When he's 23+ and can't crack the lineup then he is. But that gives him two more full years

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I'm not going that far just yet.

Guys like this don't play as regulars until 24 or 25 yrs old. He still has time on his side, but its not looking like tremendous strides have been taken. Which is not the end of the world but the actual reality of his game and maybe his worth.

Remember how Edmonton and Dallas would have taken MCI if there? Look at their ridiculous forward prospect depth, those teams both wouldve been able to afford to take him that high, they could have passed on a Tarasenko or Bjugstad, but we always seem to think we could take such massive swings as well. Always a Lion.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

It seems to me you were writing Kreider off as crap earlier this year and now you've switched to Mcilrath. I'm pretty sure you know why the Rangers drafted McIlrath and that he was go to be a project that took some time. Maybe a little more patience on your part.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT

Guys like this don't play as regulars until 24 or 25 yrs old. He still has time on his side, but its not looking like tremendous strides have been taken. Which is not the end of the world but the actual reality of his game and maybe his worth.

He has taken tremendous strides if you watched him first play for the wolfpack vs where he is now.

When I first saw him he couldn't skate at all. Couldn't turn. Didn't know how to play defense.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Remember how Edmonton and Dallas would have taken MCI if there? Look at their ridiculous forward prospect depth, those teams both wouldve been able to afford to take him that high, they could have passed on a Tarasenko or Bjugstad, but we always seem to think we could take such massive swings as well. Always a Lion.

Agree with this to some degree. Rangers cannot afford to make mistakes at this point in time. We have very little prospect depth. No first line centers on the way. DZ is supposed to be our pwp qb. That's not working out and there's no in house solution on the horizon. Now that Kreider's finally made it--Miller is the closest thing left we have to a power forward. Rangers prospect pool is shallow. There are other teams that have multiple options.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I'm not sure I follow this "they need offense more than defense" argument. Right now their offense is playing much better than their defense.

Staal had concussion issues, girardi and stralman are FAs, DZ is probably getting sent out, and Moore hasent progressed. It's not like they are so loaded defensively this is a wasted pick

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It seems to me you were writing Kreider off as crap earlier this year and now you've switched to Mcilrath. I'm pretty sure you know why the Rangers drafted McIlrath and that he was go to be a project that took some time. Maybe a little more patience on your part.

I wasnt writing Kreider off. I was letting you know that he was playing like crap. Thats since changed.

Im also not writing McIlrath off, but I am saying Im pretty concerned with what I've seen in his cameo against NHL competition.

You won't find me in the prospects or drafts threads because I think its a fool's errand. In an effort to look like genuises, theres far too many people who build up capital towards these guys succeeding - makes them incompetent of calling it like they see it, which is what I was doing with Kreider and am currently doing with McIlrath. If/when he gets better, Ill be sure to let you know.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Yeah, I don't understand the "hasn't made huge strides" comment here.

McI is drastically better than he was 4 years ago, and I'd even say he's drastically better than he was 2 years ago. If it wasn't for injuries, he'd probably be even better.

I think the plan all along was to hope he'd be ready for regular play in 14/15, and barring some huge change, I'd say that sounds about right.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He's played 7 minutes, not really sure how many conclusions you could've drawn thus far.

The fact he played so little and still made some eye-popping mistakes leading to goals is a pretty good indicator of his NHL readiness.

But yea, Im on board with the "he just needs more time" stuff. Its a safe argument.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
He has taken tremendous strides if you watched him first play for the wolfpack vs where he is now.

When I first saw him he couldn't skate at all. Couldn't turn. Didn't know how to play defense.

Yes he's progressed from a teenager to a young man. Whatever the reasons/circumstance he's still not what he was drafted to be at the NHL level.

I'm not sure I follow this "they need offense more than defense" argument. Right now their offense is playing much better than their defense.

Staal had concussion issues, girardi and stralman are FAs, DZ is probably getting sent out, and Moore hasent progressed. It's not like they are so loaded defensively this is a wasted pick

Who said it's about offense? My goal in a player draft would always be get the best player available at my draft slot. Some players could be even and both could have totally different skill sets, so then maybe position/overall team depth comes into play.

Yeah, I don't understand the "hasn't made huge strides" comment here.

McI is drastically better than he was 4 years ago, and I'd even say he's drastically better than he was 2 years ago. If it wasn't for injuries, he'd probably be even better.

I think the plan all along was to hope he'd be ready for regular play in 14/15, and barring some huge change, I'd say that sounds about right.

Plenty of Dmen his age made the exact same strides over the years. He jumped up a level and a few years later he's a capable AHL Dman. Anything more and we'd be talking about a guy who makes a difference, and I don't see that guy, I don't know how anyone could say that right now.

He's not drastically doing anything consistent at the Pro level except bring the heavy, which is commendable but not warranting serious NHL consideration. He's absolutely raw, at this age that's not a revelation, nor a strike against him.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
The fact he played so little and still made some eye-popping mistakes leading to goals is a pretty good indicator of his NHL readiness.

But yea, Im on board with the "he just needs more time" stuff. Its a safe argument.

Are you referring to the one goal that was scored against while he was on the ice vs CBJ? Obviously it's a small sample size, but I can't find any other glaring mistakes that led to anything (not to mention, it's fair to say there were a number of other players at fault for that goal as well, but that's neither here nor there).

I'm not going to act like he's going to be Pronger in two years if he is "given more time," but he's much better (and looking to be much better) than he's often being talked about here.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Are you referring to the one goal that was scored against while he was on the ice vs CBJ? Obviously it's a small sample size, but I can't find any other glaring mistakes that led to anything (not to mention, it's fair to say there were a number of other players at fault for that goal as well, but that's neither here nor there).

I'm not going to act like he's going to be Pronger in two years if he is "given more time," but he's much better (and looking to be much better) than he's often being talked about here.

Where is he headed? Do tell.

Because, at this point, no matter what you say, Im likely to expect more from a top 10 draft pick.

A 3rd pairing NHL regular who can drop the gloves is nice, but that should be found elsewhere.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Where is he headed? Do tell.

Because, at this point, no matter what you say, Im likely to expect more from a top 10 draft pick.

A 3rd pairing NHL regular who can drop the gloves is nice, but that should be found elsewhere.

Yes we know. You want immediate results. Just like you thought Kreider and miller were wasted picks I'm sure.

Next year I'm sure we will see some posts from you about how Skjei is a bust because he isn't playing in the nhl yet

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Sure. He made him a scratch. What does that have to do with being "nowhere near ready," though?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad