Speculation: Dylan Larkin's Next Contract

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He's had a very good season on a very bad team. He's been relied on both offensively and defensively and seems to be coming in his own as a two way center. The more I watch him play the more I'm feeling Detroit has their own version of Ryan O'Reilly, and he may even develop to be better.

Question is pretty simple. I would've made it a poll, but the salary can obvious range greatly depending on if Larkin gets a bridge deal or if Detroit wants to lock him down long term.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Best comparables will be Nylander and ehlers(yes I know they play wing).

Great comparison's statistically, but I think that's about where the comparison ends. With the same term as Ehlers I can see Larkin getting a bit more. Simply the fact that he plays in the middle probably adds a little money. On top of that, and Winnipeg and Toronto fans can correct me here, but I believe Ehlers commonly plays with Laine and Nylander with Matthews. Larkin isn't playing with anybody near that caliber.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Great comparison's statistically, but I think that's about where the comparison ends. With the same term as Ehlers I can see Larkin getting a bit more. Simply the fact that he plays in the middle probably adds a little money. On top of that, and Winnipeg and Toronto fans can correct me here, but I believe Ehlers commonly plays with Laine and Nylander with Matthews. Larkin isn't playing with anybody near that caliber.
ehlers usuallys plays with good players, but nylander has played 4th line c, 1st line c(when matthews was out), and mostly RW. He has a very short leash on the leafs out of the young trio, if i rank them in order of support it would be best to worst

ehlers
nylander
larkin

but in terms of age, production they are all very close, larkin being a center and the team he plays for might net him a bit more then the other two, all depends on who signs first imo.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The Red Wings could look to trade him as they are rebuilding and Larkin has good value. But what else I think could happen is he gets an offer sheet he signs.

There are teams that could use a player like him.

If the Red Wings keep him, it'll be long term, 8 years $7M a year.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
The Red Wings could look to trade him as they are rebuilding and Larkin has good value. But what else I think could happen is he gets an offer sheet he signs.

If the Wings traded Larkin that would be a disaster of epic proportions. The only thing he would be traded for is a sum prospects/picks and it is highly, highly unlikely that any of them will even be close to Larkin's level. Larkin is shaping up to be amongst the best two-way players for the next generation. I'd imagine trading Larkin would be welcomed in the same way Canucks fans would welcome a trade involving Horvat - calling for the heads of everyone in management (In the case of the Canucks fans, action is more likely lol)

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Why would a rebuilding team trade a high end 21 year old?

... What the hell?

Reactions: Morrison and NickH8

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Bo Horvat contract would be the floor term/cap-wise imo 6y 5.5AAV/. i can see D-boss getting a full 8 though

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
The Ehlers contract is likely the floor. What Larkin has done this year has been incredible. He has doubled his most common linemates in points. I'd be happy with 6.5M X 7 years. Him and Nylander likely get similar contracts

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I would like to see him sign for 6 but he could get 6.5. I do no think he is worth 7 yet. He could be if he keeps improving.

As other posters have mentioned I like 6 x 6.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I would think Barkov would be a great comparable for his place on the team and his very effective 2-way play. 5.9M for 6 years would be a great base for a deal.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The only way Larkin gets a bridge deal is if he and his agent lean that way, By all accounts Ken Holland plans on locking him up long term. Probably in the 8 year range of either $48 million per or $56 million per for a $6 to $7 million AAV,

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

No way on gods green earth are they trading Larkin, Unless they can get a really good top pairing LHD/RHD for him. Detroit can't afford to lose their future captain and Detroit kid as long as Holland stays GM Larkin is going absolutely nowhere.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

I would actually like to hear your reasoning for this?

Why would a rebuilding team trade their ONLY current core piece who's a 21 year old #1C? Is 21 now too old?

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
He's had a very good season on a very bad team. He's been relied on both offensively and defensively and seems to be coming in his own as a two way center. The more I watch him play the more I'm feeling Detroit has their own version of Ryan O'Reilly, and he may even develop to be better.

Question is pretty simple. I would've made it a poll, but the salary can obvious range greatly depending on if Larkin gets a bridge deal or if Detroit wants to lock him down long term.
Whatever he wants. Too good to move anywhere.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I would actually like to hear your reasoning for this?

Why would a rebuilding team trade their ONLY current core piece who's a 21 year old #1C? Is 21 now too old?

Because I see the Red Wings missing the playoffs for a long time and think they'll take their rebuild slow. Larkin holds lots of value in which they could use that for a much stronger rebuild down the line. Detroit will be a team that takes garbage contracts for some time to fill cap space around the time Zetterberg retires.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Because I see the Red Wings missing the playoffs for a long time and think they'll take their rebuild slow. Larkin holds lots of value in which they could use that for a much stronger rebuild down the line. Detroit will be a team that takes garbage contracts for some time to fill cap space around the time Zetterberg retires.

You realize he is 21 years old and currently his teams 1C putting up over 60 points? What exactly do you trade that for to improve a rebuild?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
You realize he is 21 years old and currently his teams 1C putting up over 60 points? What exactly do you trade that for to improve a rebuild?

I mean if Larkin is the guy to build around throughout each and every year up until the rebuild is over, when he could be almost 30 or older, then I say keep him. But if he can produce for a contender that could use him, you guys could gets lots out of him for what he can bring. If Detroit did give him a big contract, then down the line (say three years in) trade him and retain half his salary they could get so... much out of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad