Player Discussion Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall Part 2

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
He is not a center. He does not see the play well enough to make those on his line better. Put him on the wing in a power forward role and he will be fine.
He's a crash-and-bang forward, lacking touch around the net and playmaking creativity. No shame in that. Plenty of players get shifted to wing in the NHL having been dominant centers their entire careers. Unfortunately we're seeing very little crash-and-bang from him, particularly post-Hathaway. (3C then becomes a huge question mark, btw.)

He's still getting chances though - e.g. rang the crossbar last night - that just aren't finding the net. I'll reiterate that his 5.6% shooting percentage, good for 299th among forwards with 15+ games and 25+ shots is unsustainably low.

Cozens personifies the team's season - a crushing disappointment in the wake of the previous season that filled one with such high hopes. It's easy to make that 22 year-old the whipping boy, but a fair assessment spreads the blame far wider.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
He's a crash-and-bang forward, lacking touch around the net and playmaking creativity. No shame in that. Plenty of players get shifted to wing in the NHL having been dominant centers their entire careers. Unfortunately we're seeing very little crash-and-bang from him, particularly post-Hathaway. (3C then becomes a huge question mark, btw.)

He's still getting chances though - e.g. rang the crossbar last night - that just aren't finding the net. I'll reiterate that his 5.6% shooting percentage, good for 299th among forwards with 15+ games and 25+ shots is unsustainably low.

Cozens personifies the team's season - a crushing disappointment in the wake of the previous season that filled one with such high hopes. It's easy to make that 22 year-old the whipping boy, but a fair assessment spreads the blame far wider.
I am not dumping on him. He is being miscast. Play to his strengths. Speed toughness on the wall. Let him be a Jeff Carter type who can fill in at C when injuries come.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Didn't seem to be an issue when he had Quinn on his wing. I'm kind of curious as to how much effect Quinn had on his game.
Quinn and JJP are more creative. They helped stir the drink and free Cozens to be more responsible. Even then his best asset was his speed. But without another driver, and with internally placed pressure to score, he isn't distributing the puck like a C needs to. I don't think Quinn will be up to game speed for a bit so we will see. I have always thought Cozens would be a monster best suited to the wing.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Quinn and JJP are more creative. They helped stir the drink and free Cozens to be more responsible. Even then his best asset was his speed. But without another driver, and with internally placed pressure to score, he isn't distributing the puck like a C needs to. I don't think Quinn will be up to game speed for a bit so we will see. I have always thought Cozens would be a monster best suited to the wing.
I have the same sentiment of cozens being a winger the physical north south style he plays along with his edge would enable his playstyle more I think he would be a forechecking monster without the response of getting back as a center and while he has a great shot he is not getting into alot of prime shooting lanes from the center position when in the zone usually he is patrolling the outside with the puck I feel like he would get more chances from the inside if he played on mitts wing maybe maybe not just food for thought.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One of Cozens early strengths was his ability to transit the puck from d-zone to o-zone successfully via carrying it. His style in the offensive zone may be more that of a winger, but last year both Quinn and Peterka often struggled to even hold the d-zone let alone provide support there. There were certainly times last year where he was carrying that line in all three zones.

It seems like he's leaned way to hard into trying to be a finisher and since he does play an emotion-fueled game, he's clearly frustrated by his inability to finish plays. If someone decided to refocus him on things like being a responsible defensive player and his puck transition skills, that'd be great. But it seems like the dedication to offense uber alles has put undo pressure on Cozens and he's pressing more and more.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Peterka-Cozens-Quinn is like the optimal line in theory and was proved in practice last year. I’m new to being a fully-fledged Sabres fan, but that simply has to be a line that you build everyone else on the roster around.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'd be curious to get the bullet points in this article if someone had access ..

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
That contract put an undue amount of pressure on him. I'm not worried about his future, I just think he's going through it right now and the results will come. He's not going to be this PPG scorer that last season hinted at but he'll be a 60-70 pt leader for the team once he evens out.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Cozens as well as Thompson Dahlin etc. are playing on the heels of new deals with increased pressure from the outside and themselves to live up to the contract. Adding to that the playoff expectations, and having to figure out defense, it is no surprise they struggled so much. Cozens is back.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Cozens as well as Thompson Dahlin etc. are playing on the heels of new deals with increased pressure from the outside and themselves to live up to the contract. Adding to that the playoff expectations, and having to figure out defense, it is no surprise they struggled so much. Cozens is back.
Most players aren’t so fragile.

He only started playing better once they were basically out of the playoffs, under significantly reduced pressure and expectations. Fans barely even show up anymore, so now he can finally play well.

What happens when playoff expectations are back next year? We might have to waste an entire other season next year just to find out.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad