Kings Article: Dusty Imoo, Dr. Phil & Jack Campbell; More on Iafallo

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
HB: As a teacher, what did it mean to you when Jack took your number for the All-Star Game?

DI: It was one of the highlights of my coaching career.

Maybe the [highlight]...but there's a bunch.

Favorite quote.

He is a talented, talented kid. It was more about getting him in the right mind-set and place in his life.

We'd joke about it...it felt like "Dr. Phil" a little bit

We lost Kim D., but we got a goalie whisperer. Got lucky there.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Imoo's thoughtfulness behind his coaching is incredible. It's so remarkable Campbell represented his number at the AHL all-star game.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm a huge Jack Campbell fan, I have been since his OHL and WJC days. Really thought he'd be Dallas' goalie of the future. But I think his lack of success there says more about the Stars organization than it does him, as no goalie has succeeded at any level there since Turco.

I'm a goalie myself and was actually traded to Idaho's Jr A team right around the same time Campbell got sent down to the ECHL Steelheads in early 2016. As a result I got to watch him quite a bit and actually met him a couple times. He's a very nice guy, everyone in the organization had nothing but good things to say about him. On the ice he was absolutely dominant. A huge reason they started winning games.

Its obvious the talent is there, you don't dominate juniors like he did and get drafted in the 1st round without it. His work ethic is great too, the guy is in incredible shape. He's also got the size needed for a modern NHL goalie. The only question mark (and I don't know well enough to truly comment on this) appeared to be mental and a lack of good coaching. Judging by how he's done in the AHL this year I'd say those last 2 negatives appear to be taken care of.

Needless to say I was thrilled when the Kings acquired him last summer. I said it on another forum, after a year or two with this organization and coaching he'll be Quick's backup by some point in 17/18, and I still stand by that. Look at all the goalie's LA has produced at the NHL level: Quick, Jones, Bernier, Berube. Even Bartosak looked good before he Voynov'd his way back home. Most teams only have 1 or 2 that they've developed into NHL goalies, a good chunk of teams don't have any. Theres no better place for a player with the potential that Campbell does to get back on track.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Is JC ready for full time NHL duty? I'm rooting for him big time! I think 30 good games from him would be great for Quick and the Kings.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
ugh, Bartosak looked like he could be better than all of them, too. That idiot.

Thank you for the share on Campbell. hes' an easy guy to root for.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don't think Campbell has the lateral movement to be an NHL goaltender. And with Quick's recent injury history and turning 32 next season I would expect that if the Kings are trying to make the playoffs they will sign a veteran NHL back-up this summer.

Sheng Peng

Is JC ready for full time NHL duty? I'm rooting for him big time! I think 30 good games from him would be great for Quick and the Kings.

I don't know if he's ready for full-time duty, but I do think he can be an NHL starter one day.

That said, and just guessing, but it makes sense for LA to have a more established back-up behind Quick this coming year, somebody who has strong potential to start if need be (i.e. Enroth in 2015-16). Taking a chance on Zatkoff really blew up in their faces.

Campbell is signed to another year (and I assume Vegas won't pick him), so Quick-solid backup-Campbell seems like solid goaltending depth with a high ceiling.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I don't know if he's ready for full-time duty, but I do think he can be an NHL starter one day.

That said, and just guessing, but it makes sense for LA to have a more established back-up behind Quick this coming year, somebody who has strong potential to start if need be (i.e. Enroth in 2015-16). Taking a chance on Zatkoff really blew up in their faces.

Campbell is signed to another year (and I assume Vegas won't pick him), so Quick-solid backup-Campbell seems like solid goaltending depth with a high ceiling.

Just like every move Lombardi made. Campbell looks like the one bright spot out of the crapfest of the 2016 signings. I hope he continues to improve.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I don't think Campbell has the lateral movement to be an NHL goaltender. And with Quick's recent injury history and turning 32 next season I would expect that if the Kings are trying to make the playoffs they will sign a veteran NHL back-up this summer.

I was honestly surprised they didn't trade for Miller.

I still half expect to see him signed as a backup. If Campbell can do it on the cheap tho, I'll take it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Seems like a nice guy, but the clock is ticking. Campbell is 25 years old and needs to make the NHL roster next season if he is going to progress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad