Dustin Penner's 2013-2014 point total prediction

SoCalHockey

Jun 11, 2010
I feel that he can hit 40 points with Getzy and Perry. I'd say something like 25 goals 20assists for 45 points.

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
I'd say it all depends on his role on the team. If he's on the 1st line...AND uses his bulk to screen the goalie, poaching deflections and rebounds, I could see a 30 goal/ 30 assists year out of him...but it's a big IF.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Sojourn? Seriously?

Seriously. I think, if he is healthy and can stay motivated, that 55 points is not out of the question.

Edit: and yeah, I realize it's a long shot, but I just have a feeling we'll be surprised.

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
I wanted to go "under 20", but went 20-30 on account of him being somewhat humorous. Oh and, on camp roster report it says he has 245 pounds, ridiculous.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Seriously. I think, if he is healthy and can stay motivated, that 55 points is not out of the question.

Edit: and yeah, I realize it's a long shot, but I just have a feeling we'll be surprised.

There's a better chance that Teemu wins the Selke. ;)

It's kind of funny how everyone, including Getzlaf, talks about Penner's motivation. He's as motivated as anybody when the game starts. But he's never been willing to work hard in the off season, including this one, and that's what has led to his downfall. Motivation has to be a 365 day thing, not a 60 minute thing.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Ok.

NO ONE is allowed to be pessimistic about this season if they are voting for 25 or 30 goals from penner.

A 30g goal penner on any line but the 1st, means its goina be an great duck season.
30 goals from penner on the first line means an amazing season, considering he is not a powerplay guy... so thats like 27 even strength goals... or he has jooined the 2nd ppl unit and we have a functioning 2nd powerplay unit for once...

Im going with 20 goals (which i think is fairly optimistic, and i LIKE the penner signing...) and 40 points.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
20-30. I think he's going to score more than he did in Kings but I'm not too optimistic. Playing with Getzlaf and Perry will be good for him but anyone who plays with them, is bound to score some points. He's going to get moved around the lineup for sure.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Assuming he stays healthy, I'm gonna say he'll surprise us and reach 40+ points. It was Getzlaf who wanted Murray to sign him, so I'm assuming he's gonna get a lot of time to find chemistry on the top line. Also, I'm guessing he has worked really hard in the summer, considering that he's almost playing himself out of the NHL and only found a one year contract. I think he's gonna be motivated to play with Getzlaf and Perry again. Plus they fit his style better than any linemate he had on the Kings.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Assuming he stays healthy, I'm gonna say he'll surprise us and reach 40+ points. It was Getzlaf who wanted Murray to sign him, so I'm assuming he's gonna get a lot of time to find chemistry on the top line. Also, I'm guessing he has worked really hard in the summer, considering that he's almost playing himself out of the NHL and only found a one year contract. I think he's gonna be motivated to play with Getzlaf and Perry again. Plus they fit his style better than any linemate he had on the Kings.

I agree with almost all of that, only that I don't think it would/should be a hell of a surprise if he gets to 40+ if he does get the time on the top line, and all points toward that. I wouldn't put much, if any, stock into early camp looks of the line.

A high 40s number is my guess. 21 goals, 26 assists. Which would be decent, but not outrageous in that spot.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I wouldn't put much, if any, stock into early camp looks of the line.

I can't agree enough with this. Camp is one place we shouldn't be taking much from. Every year there's a Jason King or in our case an Andrew Gordon who looks like a super star when in reality they're a flash in the pan player who can't hack the NHL. I remember in 11-12 everybody who went to camp said Getz looked like he was in great shape and about to have an awesome year - he then went on to have his worst ever season.

Camp is an unstructured, undisciplined environment where the discrepancy in talent is huge. Generally the smaller speedy guys will stand out in camps/preseason games but when the regular season rolls around everything is different.

Just thought of another example - the Morrison/Selanne duo dominated a couple of preseason games in 08-09 and we thought we had our replacement for McDonald. That didn't work out well at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad