Dustin Jeffrey

McCrosby

Jul 20, 2007
Canada
Jeffrey's brother is a friend of mine and I'm a lifetime Penguins fan so I've followed his career closely. I also hopes Tangradi pans out, however I am a little bit perplexed why Jeffrey gets no love from Pens fans, and why Tangradi is getting this early crack at the top 6 role. I didn't see the any of the preseason, did Tangradi look much better than DJ?

Jeffrey is a more creative versatile player than Tangradi IMO, and has proven himself to be a better scorer at the OHL, AHL and NHL levels thus far, yet Tangradi still gets the nod? What gives?

I'd also like to mention that I think it is time the Pens give DJ a serious role on this team or move him somewhere where he will. He most likely be a regular 3rd or 4th liner on a lot of teams in the league.

Anyways just looking for some insight on what your opinions on the future of DJ are on the Pens.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Tangradi best fits what that 2nd line needs right now, but Jeffrey probably should be higher on the depth chart than at least Vitale, but definitely Adams. There is no reason why he shouldn't be playing regularly.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Jeffrey's problem with the Pens has been his incredibly bad luck. He ripped up the AHL a couple years back, got promoted, Crosby and Malkin went down, which led to a huge opportunity with the big club but he almost immediately blew his knee out. He was never right last year and is just now getting back to where he was before the injury. I think he'll get his shot with Neal and Malkin eventually. I just think they want to see what they have in Tangradi first.

McCrosby

Jul 20, 2007
Canada
Yeah I can respect that, I know Tangradi is a bigger body and they are hoping for a power forward to get dirty and create some space. I really hope Jeffrey gets in the lineup regularly, maybe a top 6 role hope is me being biased but DJ could put up some respectable numbers in the league if given the opportunity.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I like Jeffrey, but like MrBurgundy said, Tangradi fills the 2nd line need with his style of play.

I would want him to be 4th line center with Vitale on RW and Glass on LW, or he could make it into the top 9 as a C/LW depth player if someone's hurt.

I like Jeffrey, he's a good depth player who is capable of being a starter somewhere in the lineup.

McCrosby

Jul 20, 2007
Canada
How did DJ look the past week in practice an in the Black and Gold game. I read a bunch of stuff, but did seem to read his name much, so I'm assuming he didn't stand out much.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
How did DJ look the past week in practice an in the Black and Gold game. I read a bunch of stuff, but did seem to read his name much, so I'm assuming he didn't stand out much.

I thought he had a good game, but it was only a scrimmage.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

He played well. A number of people commented that it looks like he's finally got his skating back to where it was before the big knee injury.

I'd prefer him in the lineup over Vitale or Adams but realistically Vitale since Adams is one of those players that Shero will have to take away from Bylsma to get out of the lineup.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
Jeffrey's problem with the Pens has been his incredibly bad luck. He ripped up the AHL a couple years back, got promoted, Crosby and Malkin went down, which led to a huge opportunity with the big club but he almost immediately blew his knee out. He was never right last year and is just now getting back to where he was before the injury. I think he'll get his shot with Neal and Malkin eventually. I just think they want to see what they have in Tangradi first.

This. Jeffrey is more versatile but it's boom or bust time for Tangradi IMO. I have no doubt Jeffrey will get his chances if injuries occur, but it was his own injuries that really set him back. Even the front office said as much last year.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Jeffrey has proved he can produce on his own, in a short stint, in the NHL, something Tangradi has not been able to do. To me, Jeffrey will be the better NHL player going forward. I wish the coaching staff and management could see this. This is no slight to Tangradi, but Jeffrey has much better vision and can control the puck better in every zone.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
What kind of name is Dustin?
screech9.jpg

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Been a fan of DJ for a couple years now, I've said it before but the guy is a straight up player. Does many of the little things right which wins you games.

It's just tough to crack our lineup and the second line needs a guy like Tangradi rather than DJ now. You almost hope for an injury (not that I ever would with our injury luck) just so he can get a legitimate chance on a second line or something.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Jeffrey's brother is a friend of mine and I'm a lifetime Penguins fan so I've followed his career closely. I also hopes Tangradi pans out, however I am a little bit perplexed why Jeffrey gets no love from Pens fans, and why Tangradi is getting this early crack at the top 6 role. I didn't see the any of the preseason, did Tangradi look much better than DJ?

Jeffrey is a more creative versatile player than Tangradi IMO, and has proven himself to be a better scorer at the OHL, AHL and NHL levels thus far, yet Tangradi still gets the nod? What gives?

I'd also like to mention that I think it is time the Pens give DJ a serious role on this team or move him somewhere where he will. He most likely be a regular 3rd or 4th liner on a lot of teams in the league.

Anyways just looking for some insight on what your opinions on the future of DJ are on the Pens.

Thank you for posting this. I was seriously just planning to log-on to these boards and post the "Official Dustin Jeffrey Appreciation Thread" (which I think you should rename this thread to, please)

I say this because I truly believe that this is a topic, and hence thread, that will be revisited throughout the season. I have been a big Jeffrey supporter since his last year or two in the AHL, and then his call-up in NHL as a rookie in which he performed admirably, and may very well have been the difference in what was a very small margin of error series against Tampa Bay, had he not been injured.

Last year was a write-off for Jeffrey because he didn't quite come back as quickly into full health as Geno, and not being Geno, he did not get the automatic re-introducton into our line-up. Now, after lots of time to heal, a productive time in Europe, and to see that he has not lost any of the speed that he has gained over the years of working on his skating, I think this guy has real serious potential. I posted a week or two ago about Jeffrey's versatility and how he has the ability to QB a PP from either the half-wall or from the point, like Ron Francis did for us, and then he showed us just that very touch, by being part of a beautiful play from the point the other night in the instra-squad game.

The fact remains: Jeffrey still has amongst the VERY best (I would say top-5) hockey sense among all Penguin players within the organization, and is extremely versatile as you suggest. And no: he is not going to supplant Brandon Sutter as the 3rd line C here in Pittsburgh, and it remains to be seen to what degree he can translate his game to LW and whether or not he will out-perform Tangradi in the role of LW on either Geno's line, or perhaps even Sid's line. But at the very least, I believe he should be our 4th line centre (and is more than capable of being double-shifted to create extra offense with Sid or Geno and has the skill & smarts to play with those guys), while being flanked by Glass on LW and Vitale on RW, with the latter taking draws on certain sides of the ice. And he is the only guy right now in our organization at the centre-ice position who has the legitimate ability to step up to a top-6 or top-9 role in the event of injury (Blueger may be there in 3 or 4 years, but isn't there now).

I think on a lot of other treams, Jeffrey could not only be a VERY good 3rd line centre, but may even prove worthy of being a quality top-2 line centre in the NHL someday. I am thrilled to have him locked up in our organiziation at a great cap hit, and if he gets the ice time and 2nd unit PP time he deserves, I think he could make a very good impact and be a really good player for us over the next few seasons -- and may ultimately bring us a VERY good return in a trade in a few years if our top guns are healthy and if Jeffrey proves to be capable of a higher role than he can attain in Pittsburgh. I do, indeed, hope this is a thread and a topic we revisit often throughout the course of this season, and hopefully a deep playoff run. He has the chance to be a real impact player for us, both in terms of offense, and in terms of the PK and other "little" things within the game. Fingers crossed.

MurphyDump

Dec 22, 2010
I too wonder why Adams keeps getting this free pass. I read the stats the other day that showed Adams was either our worst, or second worst player in regards to goals produced and goals against 5 on 5. He's also not a great faceoff man, somewhere around 43% I think? He loses just about every fight he gets into, and he's a decent PK'r, only because he has no fear. When he's on the ice, virtually no offense is produced.....yet he's paraded out there every night.

Why does Bylsma continue this, when guys like Vitale and Jeffrey just seem to be able to offer more?

Is it a consistency thing? Does DB just know what he's going to get from Adams every night and doesn't feel as confident in the consistency of Vitale and Jeffrey? I scratch my head.

And yes, this whole forcing Tangradi on to the 2nd line, while still not having proved himself at the NHL level is absurd. DJ has shown he can play in all types of situations and had that great run when he was healthy and the stars were out.......yet it seems like talk of DJ to the second line were pretty much non existent by the coaching staff and Tangradi was decided on during the summer no matter what.

I'd love to just hear the coaching staff explain this.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Can someone refresh my memory- how is DJ on the PK? I don't seem to remember him being used in that capacity on the big squad, but would he really be that big of a downgrade defensively in comparison to Adams that his potential and already evident offensive superiority should be ignored? (Obviously, DB's obsession with Adams notwithstanding, this is more of an "If only" scenario type of question). I know Adams has physicality and shot blocking advantages over DJ, but Jeffrey's superior skating increase his value defensively?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Can someone refresh my memory- how is DJ on the PK? I don't seem to remember him being used in that capacity on the big squad, but would he really be that big of a downgrade defensively in comparison to Adams that his potential and already evident offensive superiority should be ignored? (Obviously, DB's obsession with Adams notwithstanding, this is more of an "If only" scenario type of question). I know Adams has physicality and shot blocking advantages over DJ, but Jeffrey's superior skating increase his value defensively?

Jeffrey's best assets are his hockey IQ and anticipation, coupled with his size & reach, and good skating abilities. Those traits make him very effective at reading plays and being an effective penalty killer, and because of his smarts and his good skating and overall offensive instincts, it allows him to generate chances short-handed.

No, he will not be diving on the ice face-first to block shots (a great skill that Adams has that makes him very respected and an on-ice leader), but we have other guys to take over that role now: most specifically Tanner Glass and Joe Vitale, but also some of our other PK guys. Then, we've got Cooke and Dupuis, who are kind of in the middle, but also have great speed and smarts, and can be very agressive on the PK and generate chances against. Ditto for Sutter, who will be somewhat like Staal and somewhat like Jeffrey is just being smart and have great anticipation. Then, throw out a Crosby, Malkin or Neal out there late in the PK to frankly scare the **** out of other teams, back them off and create legitimate scoring opportunities on the PK, and it's a real nice mix.

So, in other words, we really don't need Adams and he should be the 13th forward, because as much as I love him and what he brings to the table, we just have other, better guys now, and guys who deserve the chance to make a bigger impact (specifically Jeffrey, Glass and Vitale, who should be our fourth liners and all see significant PK time).

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Jeffrey's best assets are his hockey IQ and anticipation, coupled with his size & reach, and good skating abilities. Those traits make him very effective at reading plays and being an effective penalty killer, and because of his smarts and his good skating and overall offensive instincts, it allows him to generate chances short-handed.

No, he will not be diving on the ice face-first to block shots (a great skill that Adams has that makes him very respected and an on-ice leader), but we have other guys to take over that role now: most specifically Tanner Glass and Joe Vitale, but also some of our other PK guys. Then, we've got Cooke and Dupuis, who are kind of in the middle, but also have great speed and smarts, and can be very agressive on the PK and generate chances against. Ditto for Sutter, who will be somewhat like Staal and somewhat like Jeffrey is just being smart and have great anticipation. Then, throw out a Crosby, Malkin or Neal out there late in the PK to frankly scare the **** out of other teams, back them off and create legitimate scoring opportunities on the PK, and it's a real nice mix.

So, in other words, we really don't need Adams and he should be the 13th forward, because as much as I love him and what he brings to the table, we just have other, better guys now, and guys who deserve the chance to make a bigger impact (specifically Jeffrey, Glass and Vitale, who should be our fourth liners and all see significant PK time).
Thanks, I couldn't remember if Jeffrey and Vitale saw less time on the PK because they were not good enough or just because we favored the 4 primary ones because of their track record (Staal, Dupuis, Cooke Adams).

Edit: For what it's worth, I really agree with the quote someone posted the other day of Adam Oates regarding Ovechkin on the PK. 1) The great number of players on your roster who are adequate at killing penalties the better. 2) When your star players(Sid and Geno in our case) can get on the ice as much as possible, in all situations, it is nothing but a positive for your team.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Thank you for posting this. I was seriously just planning to log-on to these boards and post the "Official Dustin Jeffrey Appreciation Thread" (which I think you should rename this thread to, please)

I say this because I truly believe that this is a topic, and hence thread, that will be revisited throughout the season. I have been a big Jeffrey supporter since his last year or two in the AHL, and then his call-up in NHL as a rookie in which he performed admirably, and may very well have been the difference in what was a very small margin of error series against Tampa Bay, had he not been injured.

Last year was a write-off for Jeffrey because he didn't quite come back as quickly into full health as Geno, and not being Geno, he did not get the automatic re-introducton into our line-up. Now, after lots of time to heal, a productive time in Europe, and to see that he has not lost any of the speed that he has gained over the years of working on his skating, I think this guy has real serious potential. I posted a week or two ago about Jeffrey's versatility and how he has the ability to QB a PP from either the half-wall or from the point, like Ron Francis did for us, and then he showed us just that very touch, by being part of a beautiful play from the point the other night in the instra-squad game.

The fact remains: Jeffrey still has amongst the VERY best (I would say top-5) hockey sense among all Penguin players within the organization, and is extremely versatile as you suggest. And no: he is not going to supplant Brandon Sutter as the 3rd line C here in Pittsburgh, and it remains to be seen to what degree he can translate his game to LW and whether or not he will out-perform Tangradi in the role of LW on either Geno's line, or perhaps even Sid's line. But at the very least, I believe he should be our 4th line centre (and is more than capable of being double-shifted to create extra offense with Sid or Geno and has the skill & smarts to play with those guys), while being flanked by Glass on LW and Vitale on RW, with the latter taking draws on certain sides of the ice. And he is the only guy right now in our organization at the centre-ice position who has the legitimate ability to step up to a top-6 or top-9 role in the event of injury (Blueger may be there in 3 or 4 years, but isn't there now).

I think on a lot of other treams, Jeffrey could not only be a VERY good 3rd line centre, but may even prove worthy of being a quality top-2 line centre in the NHL someday. I am thrilled to have him locked up in our organiziation at a great cap hit, and if he gets the ice time and 2nd unit PP time he deserves, I think he could make a very good impact and be a really good player for us over the next few seasons -- and may ultimately bring us a VERY good return in a trade in a few years if our top guns are healthy and if Jeffrey proves to be capable of a higher role than he can attain in Pittsburgh. I do, indeed, hope this is a thread and a topic we revisit often throughout the course of this season, and hopefully a deep playoff run. He has the chance to be a real impact player for us, both in terms of offense, and in terms of the PK and other "little" things within the game. Fingers crossed.

This is well put and I agree very strongly with this assessment.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I'm a big fan of Jeffrey, not sure why he doesn't get more of a chance from DB but as others have already said Tangradi is the type of player this team needs as wingers in a top 6 role. We will find out soon enough if it works or not for Tanger but I wouldn't mind if it doesn't that Jeffrey is the one who is given the chance. I just hope Shero doesn't move him like he did with Letestu for a late pick. Jeffrey should be part of this teams plans going forward

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
I'll give Jeffrey some love. I remember how impressed I was with his play pre-injury. I'm hoping this will be a breakout season for him. Hope DB gives him a righteous chance.

What kind of name is Dustin? Kind of a quiet name I think :sarcasm:

dustin-hoffman-image.jpg

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
I'd like to see Jeffrey play with Glass and Vitale on the fourth line and move up when injuries hit. Jeffrey has all the tools to be successful on this team. He's versatile, he's smart, and he can score ugly goals off the rush.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Waiving Adams for DJ Jazzy Jeffery is the only logical solution.

I don't see how anyone could think Adams is a better player at any aspect than DJ. I also don't buy Adam's selling out on the PK. The arguments above provide all the data you need to make this decision, yet HCDB ignores the data.

Adams provides lots of "intangibles"...I will buy your car for 1,000,000 intangibles. If you can't quantify what Adams brings, does he really bring anything?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
How does DJ's skating look this year? Back to where it was before the knee injury?

I would personally like to see Jeffrey in the line-up with Adams as the 13th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad