OT: Dustin Byfuglien weighed 302 pounds by end of Winnipeg’s season: Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Apparently, Byfuglien's weight is no longer a laughing matter:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...302-pounds-end-winnipeg-season-131116224.html

This has always been Byfuglien’s fitness cycle: Balloon in the offseason, drop the weight during the season. For a person his size, weight gain is going to seem more extreme than the same percentage of body fat gain for a smaller individual, and it’s the same with the weight loss.

As Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press writes, Big Buff’s “fitness slipped” this season, causing inconsistency in the Winnipeg Jets defenseman’s game and, reportedly, a rather portly comportment by season’s end.

From Lawless:

It was evident Byfuglien grew heavier this season as the games moved on and according to accredited Jets blogger Pete Tessier, the player's weight rose to 302 pounds by season's end.

If there's any truth to this number, Byfuglien is virtually untradeable. Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff can't engage in trade talks with another GM and keep Byfuglien's weight off the table until the very end -- then hit his colleague with an, "oh, by the way, Buff's a little big right now."

… We'll leave the debate as to what the team should comment on to the Jets, as it's their business. But Byfuglien's late-season appearance and coach Claude Noel's clear displeasure with him were red flags. Did Buff weigh three bills during an NHL season? Don't know. But it's not unimaginable.

Lawless believes that with a $5.75 million price tag and with his conditioning a greater concern now that ever before, Byfuglien is untradeable.

It was obvious by the picture of him at Dave Bolland's wedding last summer that his weight was creeping up

BUFFFFFFFFWEDDDDD.jpg

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
Wow. Trending towards The Fridge. Seabrook is a big guy and looks downright skinny next to him.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Byfuglien weight 265 at the start of last season, and yet even with the exercise-intensive lifestyle of a midseason pro-hockey player, still managed to pack on almost 40 pounds?

I'm not buying it.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I heard Byfuglien went into a restaurant and ate everything in the restaurant and they had to close the restaurant.

Reactions: Dexter Colt

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I heard Byfuglien went into a restaurant and ate everything in the restaurant and they had to close the restaurant.

I heard that Byfuglien's so corpulent that when he sits around his magnificently appointed Tuscan villa he sits AROUND his magnificently appointed Tuscan villa.

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013
If the rumors about his drinking are accurate, think about how much beer/booze this polished professional would have to consume on a nightly basis in order to achieve his needed results. Still, +40lbs during an NHL season seems unlikely.

Oh_so_saad

Sep 18, 2012
Seattle
If the rumors about his drinking are accurate, think about how much beer/booze this polished professional would have to consume on a nightly basis in order to achieve his needed results. Still, +40lbs during an NHL season seems unlikely.

you know how hard it is to play drunk too? he must be an elite level alcoholic if he can skate that well, and still make plays:laugh:

zac

Apr 29, 2009
That is absolutely ridiculous. I wonder if there is a clause in his contract concerning weight (assuming such things are legal)?

Looks like he's been taking lessons from Adam Deadmarsh.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
I'd still take him back, albeit not at that contract until the cap goes back up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad