Dustin Byfuglien - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Will buff be traded before season starts or do jets delay until season starts and wait until another teams star defenseman gets injured so price goes up?

I would say buffs value is first rounder next year?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Will buff be traded before season starts or do jets delay until season starts and wait until another teams star defenseman gets injured so price goes up?

I would say buffs value is first rounder next year?

IMO it is much more likely Buff gets traded in the off season. Other teams will be in the process of assembling their rosters for next season. By next season most teams will have committed their cap space. Trading Buff during next season most likely requires taking back roughly equivalent salaries. This makes any type of trade a much tougher fit. Also the risk of getting stuck with an unsigned UFA Buff jumps significantly. What if we are in a playoff spot approaching the TD? Or worse what if he gets hurt and you can't move him at the TD?

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
The only way we extend buff is if one of the rhd is flipped to the left side imho

I'm pretty sure that's what Maurice is trying to do with Trouba. He mentioned it last season when he had Trouba practicing on the left side. He said it takes time for a defenseman to move to the opposite side so that's why he had him practicing on the left side.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
At some point, if what you are saying is true, it would show up in goals and shots... but it hasn't.

I think it will, and within the next 2 yrs. And it happens to every player, just a question of when.

When it happens to Buff, the bad will far outweigh the good, IMO.

Edit: let me explain why I feel that way, and I'm interested in your thoughts garret.

Right now, Buff is that rare mix of size, speed and strength. Once he has the puck, he is hard to contain. He has a bomb for a shot. He keeps the room light, as he's a fun loving guy.

But in the next while, he will start to lose his skating legs, even quicker if he doesn't have a regimented and disciplined work out routine. He will be easier to defend, IMO, by quicker players. Unless he changes his game to be more defensive, as he ages, he'll become a significant liability on d, again, imo. His first instinct is to leave coverage and join the rush. My belief is he'll be more and more a liability unless he changes his game. I don't think he has any intention of changing his game, and evolving as a Dman. Other players can, but Buff seems like the personality that will want to play his game, even when his game is deterriating. I just don't want the Jets to have a Phaneuf like contract on their hands when Buff declines.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think it will, and within the next 2 yrs. And it happens to every player, just a question of when.

Issue is:
1) hasn't happened yet
2) very large gap between
3) may never actually happen
4) if it does, it could be a long ways away

After all, all players age.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up like this:
buffmyers.jpg

That's the same growth curve but one being a worse overall player but younger.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada

Edit: let me explain why I feel that way, and I'm interested in your thoughts garret.

Right now, Buff is that rare mix of size, speed and strength. Once he has the puck, he is hard to contain. He has a bomb for a shot. He keeps the room light, as he's a fun loving guy.

But in the next while, he will start to lose his skating legs, even quicker if he doesn't have a regimented and disciplined work out routine. He will be easier to defend, IMO, by quicker players. Unless he changes his game to be more defensive, as he ages, he'll become a significant liability on d, again, imo. His first instinct is to leave coverage and join the rush. My belief is he'll be more and more a liability unless he changes his game. I don't think he has any intention of changing his game, and evolving as a Dman. Other players can, but Buff seems like the personality that will want to play his game, even when his game is deterriating. I just don't want the Jets to have a Phaneuf like contract on their hands when Buff declines.

I think this a concern that a lot of us here, myself included, have with Buff.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought Buff was very good for us this year. A lot more good Buff, with far less WTF-Buff. That being said, I think it's about time to move the big fellow. My concern is that losing such a strong presence can mess with our tight groups chemistry, but as far as asset management (Lolz) goes I think we're better off shoring up other areas than having 3 very good RHD.
Swap Buff for a younger LHD or a piece or two up front and I'm happy. I'd also take picks.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I thought Buff was very good for us this year. A lot more good Buff, with far less WTF-Buff. That being said, I think it's about time to move the big fellow. My concern is that losing such a strong presence can mess with our tight groups chemistry, but as far as asset management (Lolz) goes I think we're better off shoring up other areas than having 3 very good RHD.
Swap Buff for a younger LHD or a piece or two up front and I'm happy. I'd also take picks.

I really enjoyed Buff this last season on D. I think he is exceptionally talented, and honestly probably our most talented player at this point warts and all. I am guessing he and his family are comfortable here which is the exception not the rule for older players with wives. I am pretty sure he is incredibly tight with the older core guys and all the players. Our team appears to be trending in the right direction so its hard to break up the band.

However, I still hate long term deals with 31 year olds. If they work out you are still usually paying Top dollar UFA market rates for their current talent level not their future level. Those big deals when they don't work which is not uncommon can be ugly and TNSE are not cutting a check to make it go away like Toronto did with Clarkson.

I would be onboard with a rich 4 year deal (maybe 5 but that would be Max) then I would want them to flip Myers but if that can't get done then I would prefer we move a Buff this summer as long as a quality deal is there to be had.

Perhaps I am being selfish but the clock is ticking and I would like to see a cup in my lifetime and the one thing that might get in our way (if things come together) in the Trouba Helly Ehlers era is dead money against the cap.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK

It seemed like the threat of having his ice time cut by moving him up to winger put him on his A game that we rarely saw in the previous seasons. But when it came down to really mattering, it was the same old WTF buff that was taking ******** penalties that resulted in suspensions when we needed him the most, and playing defense from the neutral zone while the guy he was supposed to be covering is alone in front of the net.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
Oilers fan, my offer for Buff,

33rd overall + Greg Chase and conditional 1st (2016) if signs a extension or a 3rd in (2016) if he does not.

Thoughts?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Thought: PIT1st+Marincin+small piece was already agreed on (on the trade boards) as an emergency solution, if we need to trade him and don't get a better return.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thought: PIT1st+Marincin+small piece was already agreed on (on the trade boards) as an emergency solution, if we need to trade him and don't get a better return.

Yikes!
That would have to be some emergency.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Why Marincin? Another bottom pairing guy is redundant.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
a) it's the best offer EDM can make.
b) he could be ready for a top4 role.

Detroit has way more interesting pieces.

I don't think he is above Chiarot. If Edm. wants Buff it is going to have to include a forward, a good one.

Detroit definitely holds more promise.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The only thing is Oilers wont want to give to much for 1 year of his services. Would need him extended.

We'll give you permission to talk to him before the deal. If you can't convince him he isn't going to take you off his 'no go' list anyway. From there it is your problem but you have to pay a lot more than what you proposed. You aren't even going to get a reply with that offer. Chevy will assume it was just a dumb joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad