Value of: Duncan Keith To Florida

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Panthers 'have it in our budget' to pursue high-end free agents this summer, Dale Tallon says

Sounds like Dale Tallon is going to be hard after a top pair experienced defenseman this summer citing his blue lines limited amount of exposure probably cost him games and he wants guys with a playoff history.

As you can imagine, Tallon loves his former Hawks and who knows what Bowman will do, but if he decides to move Keith at a time his value is still relatively high before his career starts sunsetting, what is he worth?

While not likely going to be a Norris caliber dman anymore, still a top pairing dmen who dragged around career AHLers all season and the ghost of Brent Seabrook while having almost a record anomaly of a shotting percentage year that literally can only get better.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Why would Keith waive to go to Florida? And why would we want to trade him?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He has an NTC does he not? Also what does this do to the Hawks D?

It gets us closer to 1 overall next year. A trade like this signals a mini tear down, trade Anisimov for a late 1st or D prospect, stock up the bar for next year, it’s gonna be a long one.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
to live in florida on maybe a better team. hawks do if they are going full rebuild.
It's debatable whether Florida is a better team. Obviously they had a better season, but the Hawks were missing Crawford for more than half the season. Not to mention that in terms of fans, the Panthers are, unfortunately, not doing so great. Keith would be going to a team that is close in talent to the Hawks, while playing in front of a half empty arena every time he plays a home game. I do not see him agreeing to go there or anywhere else for that matter other than maybe Vancouver (and that's only because his ex and his son live in the area).

And Hawks aren't going for a full rebuild. Kane is still Kane, and while Toews isn't worth his cap hit, he's still a good player. Why purposely waste another year when they can still play? Not to mention Bowman's ass is on the line. Why the hell would he risk getting shit-canned just so he can make the team possibly better in the future?

None of this makes any sense.

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
It's debatable whether Florida is a better team. Obviously they had a better season, but the Hawks were missing Crawford for more than half the season. Not to mention that in terms of fans, the Panthers are, unfortunately, not doing so great. Keith would be going to a team that is close in talent to the Hawks, while playing in front of a half empty arena every time he plays a home game. I do not see him agreeing to go there or anywhere else for that matter other than maybe Vancouver (and that's only because his ex and his son live in the area).

And Hawks aren't going for a full rebuild. Kane is still Kane, and while Toews isn't worth his cap hit, he's still a good player. Why purposely waste another year when they can still play? Not to mention Bowman's ass is on the line. Why the hell would he risk getting ****-canned just so he can make the team possibly better in the future?

None of this makes any sense.
Idk makes plenty of sense to me. The blackhawks are clearly rebuilding. They are going to want to get rid of high priced contracts. The panthers have a very good core, who are not far off from being a playoff team. Keith can play hockey and actually live his life without constantly being harassed by fans, and then there’s those winters in Chicago.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Idk makes plenty of sense to me. The blackhawks are clearly rebuilding. They are going to want to get rid of high priced contracts. The panthers have a very good core, who are not far off from being a playoff team. Keith can play hockey and actually live his life without constantly being harassed by fans, and then there’s those winters in Chicago.
Retooling, sure. To say that they’re definitely rebuilding is just not true. They’re likely going to see how the next year or so goes, then rebuild if they need to. Right now, they need their veterans to return to form. If they can do that, they’re definitely not rebuilding.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
You do realize that Keith had 2 goals, 30 assists with -29 at age 34 last season and still has 5 years left to go on his contract? Much as many of us admire the great hockey player he once was, I doubt that there is any GM who would be willing to seriously entertain your proposal.

He can still play at a #1 dman level. Especially if he's insulated.

Chicago doesn't really have a defense, so expecting Keith to carry all 6 is misleading.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
You do realize that Keith had 2 goals, 30 assists with -29 at age 34 last season and still has 5 years left to go on his contract? Much as many of us admire the great hockey player he once was, I doubt that there is any GM who would be willing to seriously entertain your proposal.
And tell me his defensive partners and amount of games quenneville used him to shelter these career AHLers

Not to mention the guy keeping the pucks out of the net for much of the year was named one of glass, berube, or forsberg

So put a legit starter in net and that -29 likely changes significantly too

This is why going to NHL.com and looking at stat lines is completely misleading

Reactions: Laus723

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
id love to acquire him, we're looking for a top-4 d anyways and tallon does love his former hawks. almost got mcdonagh at the deadline so you know we're looking around.

between bjugstad, mccann, vatrano, pysyk, petrovic, mccoshen, the 15th oa and 34 oa, can anything be done with some combination of these pieces? if so, what?

Reactions: Laus723

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
It gets us closer to 1 overall next year. A trade like this signals a mini tear down, trade Anisimov for a late 1st or D prospect, stock up the bar for next year, it’s gonna be a long one.

Is that really what you want, though? If you are looking for the number 1 pick next year, it will take more than a "mini" tear down, and by the time the next batch of prospects from a hypothetical rebuild are ready could be 5 years down the road when the rest of the guys like Kane and Toews might not be nearly as effective.

Not that I'm convinced the Hawks management can get it done, but the current team isn't THAT far from being competitive next year. A healthy Crawford or a move for a competent goalie, some work on the D and a couple of decent depth guys and they are back in it.

Keith's deal definitely isn't the contract of concern on the Hawks at the moment.

Feb 24, 2017
Panthers 'have it in our budget' to pursue high-end free agents this summer, Dale Tallon says

Sounds like Dale Tallon is going to be hard after a top pair experienced defenseman this summer citing his blue lines limited amount of exposure probably cost him games and he wants guys with a playoff history.

As you can imagine, Tallon loves his former Hawks and who knows what Bowman will do, but if he decides to move Keith at a time his value is still relatively high before his career starts sunsetting, what is he worth?

While not likely going to be a Norris caliber dman anymore, still a top pairing dmen who dragged around career AHLers all season and the ghost of Brent Seabrook while having almost a record anomaly of a shotting percentage year that literally can only get better.
Sounds like he mentioned fas and not bailing Chicago out

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I don't know. 34, with five years left at 5.5 mill and an NMC... if that contract doesn't work out it would screw us big time for years to come. It's like signing a Dman in free agency except it also costs me assets.
Can he instantly give us a very good 1st pairing if we pair him with Ekblad (or Yandle)? Anything less isn't enough to make me contemplate this move.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I’d do it all day long, Willie Mitchell made a huge impact and imo his presence is missed. Keith could provide similar while being able to play on the top pairing. Works for me!

Bjugstad and Mascherin, he’ll take the first too. Lol

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
And tell me his defensive partners and amount of games quenneville used him to shelter these career AHLers

Not to mention the guy keeping the pucks out of the net for much of the year was named one of glass, berube, or forsberg

So put a legit starter in net and that -29 likely changes significantly too

This is why going to NHL.com and looking at stat lines is completely misleading

Last season, Keith was 34 years old. Do you honestly believe that age has nothing to do with the decline in his performance reflected in his stats? Do you honestly believe that GMS are lining up to offer the equivalent of 3 first rounders for Keith at his age,with his stats, with his contract, which has 5 years remaining, with a cap hit of $5.5 million and with a NTC?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
should cost less
Dunc is pushing 35, not cheap contract, so not a 2018 mid 1st
Cap relief is in vacuum, but for Hawks it is premium since they already have 2 guys 10m each = restrictive cap flexibility

Hawks don’t care about the cap if they’re not contenders. Keith is cheap for what he brings and would fit in nicely with Florida. I’d make the deal for the 1st if I were them and I wish we had the opportunity to acquire an older hall of famer on a reasonable contract during our run.

Is that really what you want, though? If you are looking for the number 1 pick next year, it will take more than a "mini" tear down, and by the time the next batch of prospects from a hypothetical rebuild are ready could be 5 years down the road when the rest of the guys like Kane and Toews might not be nearly as effective.

Not that I'm convinced the Hawks management can get it done, but the current team isn't THAT far from being competitive next year. A healthy Crawford or a move for a competent goalie, some work on the D and a couple of decent depth guys and they are back in it.

Keith's deal definitely isn't the contract of concern on the Hawks at the moment.

As bad as the D is, if you trade Keith and Anisimov for futures, there is no doubt in my mind we pick top 5 next year and that is with a healthy Crawford. If anything is wrong with him, we’ll be scraping the bottom all year.

Remember, the teams that finished worse than us are all getting top end players in this draft so they will be better. If we make the team worse simultaneously, No. 1 overall is within reach.

And then we can get back to contending, Toews/Kane will be about 31, still some good years left and you have a No. 8 overall and another top 5 pick to play with them and take the torch from them eventually. Are the Hawks going to contend for the Cup in 18/19? Nobody believes they will. That means we need major work to fix the team, not bandaids.

Last edited:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Last season, Keith was 34 years old. Do you honestly believe that age has nothing to do with the decline in his performance reflected in his stats? Do you honestly believe that GMS are lining up to offer the equivalent of 3 first rounders for Keith at his age,with his stats, with his contract, which has 5 years remaining, with a cap hit of $5.5 million and with a NTC?

Is this where I point out Chara is still playing very good top pair minutes than Keith at 40+ with about half the mobility Keith has?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad