Duncan Keith & The Blackhawks Incident

PeteEakins

Oct 9, 2021

I want to express my disappointment and disgust at the Edmonton media. That was an incredibly cringey interview. If you or anyone you know has been accused of anything, you would hope that you are perceived innocent until proven guilty. You would only hope for that much.

In summary:

Duncan Keith’s Statements:
- He had no idea it was going on.
- Yes it was weird that Aldrich left a championship team to return to college.
- He thought, to each their own.
- Didn’t think too much of it afterwards.

Edmonton Media: “Now that you’re older, how would you have handled things differently”?
Are you stupid? The man said he didn’t know about it.

Duncan: “How do you handle things differently if I didn’t know it was going on? If this happens now and I am made aware of it, yes. Yes, I would handle things differently.” (Paraphrasing)

Do we like driving people out of town? Can we not offers players just an ounce of respect?

FOR PEOPLE THAT DON’T KNOW:
- During the 2009-2010 season, there was an encounter between a player (John Doe) and video coach, Brad Aldrich.
- The player was 20 years old and Brad Aldrich was 27.
- Doe told investigators that Aldrich threatened Doe with a baseball bat before being forced to perform oral sex. Aldrich finished the encounter by masturbating on the player’s back.
- Aldrich attests that the encounter was consensual.
- Aldrich has been sentenced to 9 months in prison.
- Stan Bowman and the Blackhawks leadership met regarding the matter in 2010. No actions were taken because they were in the middle of a Stanley Cup run.
- During this period, Aldrich continued to work with the team.
- Aldrich also made unwanted sexual advances towards an intern, 22 years old at the time.
- Aldrich was invited to participate in all Stanley Cup celebrations.
- On June 16, 2010, Aldrich was given an option to resign due to allegations.
- The Blackhawks and Aldrich signed a separation agreement and was provided with severance payment.
- Aldrich was provided the Stanley Cup and got to celebrate for one day in his home town.
- the Wirtz family claim they were not aware of the incident until the lawsuit was brought to their attention.

QUICK THOUGHTS
- This happened during their cup run.
- It’s completely possible that some players were in “tunnel vision” mode and did not attend to any distraction outside of hockey.
- It’s possible some players like Sopel knew. And maybe there were murmurings inside the locker room but the leadership team did not make it the focus.s
- Let’s allow the process to run its course. If Duncan is found to be guilty of anything, we can discuss it then. But before that happens, let’s cut the man some slack.

Last edited:

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I want to express my disappointment and disgust at the Edmonton media. That was an incredibly cringey interview. If you or anyone you know has been accused of anything, you would hope that you are perceived innocent until proven guilty. You would only hope for that much.

In summary:

Duncan Keith’s Statements:
- He had no idea it was going on.
- Yes it was weird that Aldrich left a championship team to return to college.
- He thought, to each their own.
- Didn’t think too much of it afterwards.

Edmonton Media: “Now that you’re older, how would you have handled things differently”?
Are you stupid? The man said he didn’t know about it.

Duncan: “How do you handle things differently if I didn’t know it was going on? If this happens now and I am made aware of it, yes. Yes, I would handle things differently.” (Paraphrasing)

Do we like driving people out of town? Can we not offers players just an ounce of respect?

FOR PEOPLE THAT DON’T KNOW:
- During the 2009-2010 season, there was an encounter between a player (John Doe) and video coach, Brad Aldrich.
- The player was 20 years old and Brad Aldrich was 27.
- Doe told investigators that Aldrich threatened Doe with a baseball bat before being forced to perform oral sex. Aldrich finished the encounter by masturbating on the player’s back.
- Aldrich attests that the encounter was consensual.
- Aldrich has been sentenced to 9 months in prison.
- Stan Bowman and the Blackhawks leadership met regarding the matter in 2010. No actions were taken because they were in the middle of a Stanley Cup run.
- During this period, Aldrich continued to work with the team.
- Aldrich also made unwanted sexual advances towards an intern, 22 years old at the time.
- Aldrich was invited to participate in all Stanley Cup celebrations.
- On June 16, 2010, Aldrich was given an option to resign due to allegations.
- The Blackhawks and Aldrich signed a separation agreement and was provided with severance payment.
- Aldrich was provided the Stanley Cup and got to celebrate for one day in his home town.
- the Wirtz family claim they were not aware of the incident until the lawsuit was brought to their attention.

QUICK THOUGHTS
- This happened during their cup run.
- It’s completely possible that some players were in “tunnel vision” mode and did not attend to any distraction outside of hockey.
- It’s possible some players like Sopel knew. And maybe there were murmurings inside the locker room but the leadership team did not make it the focus.s
- Let’s allow the process to run its course. If Duncan is found to be guilty of anything, we can discuss it then. But before that happens, let’s cut the man some slack.

I think you’re missing the point by a few thousand miles.

First of all. Innocent until proven guilty doesn’t really apply here. Technically, outside of Aldrich’s actions no crime has been committed (or at least one that could be prosecuted). The actions taken by those named in the report (Bowman, Quennville, Cheveldayoff, McDonough, Macissac) surmount to criminal negligence or obstruction of justice at the very worst; but more likely will never be charged and instead face some sort of civil action.

Now that we have established that, next we should also look at the fact that when it comes down to it we will never have a “Keith was guilty of x” moment. The only inquisition into Keith’s conduct will occur in the media. The only way he ever gets “his day in court” is if he gets named in one of the future lawsuits, which is probably unlikely.

Next, let us remember that Keith was an assistant captain during this time. I played hockey for 15+ years. When you play on a team (even for a year) you learn a lot about your teammates. As an assistant captain, your job is to know your teammates. This is why it is extremely difficult to believe he didn’t know anything when you contrast with what is being said in the report.

About the whole “tunnel vision” thing, that’s a pretty f***ing gross answer in my opinion. Hockey is a game. Being an NHL player is a job. Neither of which should be more important than your own morality. If you dismiss or ignore the fact that a CRIME was committed to someone you know because it might affect your success in a game or a job that says A LOT about who you are as a person.

In short, Duncan deserves his feet being held to the fire. He is at minimum, guilty of not paying attention to his teammates or not caring enough about them to take what was being said seriously. These aren’t crimes, but they are character flaws and mistakes. Our media isn’t running him out of town with these questions, they’re making him accountable for the actions he took (or didn’t take) during that time.

PeteEakins

Oct 9, 2021

First of all. Innocent until proven guilty doesn’t really apply here. Technically, outside of Aldrich’s actions no crime has been committed (or at least one that could be prosecuted). The actions taken by those named in the report (Bowman, Quennville, Cheveldayoff, McDonough, Macissac) surmount to criminal negligence or obstruction of justice at the very worst; but more likely will never be charged and instead face some sort of civil action.

Now that we have established that, next we should also look at the fact that when it comes down to it we will never have a “Keith was guilty of x” moment. The only inquisition into Keith’s conduct will occur in the media. The only way he ever gets “his day in court” is if he gets named in one of the future lawsuits, which is probably unlikely.

Next, let us remember that Keith was an assistant captain during this time. I played hockey for 15+ years. When you play on a team (even for a year) you learn a lot about your teammates. As an assistant captain, your job is to know your teammates. This is why it is extremely difficult to believe he didn’t know anything when you contrast with what is being said in the report.

About the whole “tunnel vision” thing, that’s a pretty f***ing gross answer in my opinion. Hockey is a game. Being an NHL player is a job. Neither of which should be more important than your own morality. If you dismiss or ignore the fact that a CRIME was committed to someone you know because it might affect your success in a game or a job that says A LOT about who you are as a person.

In short, Duncan deserves his feet being held to the fire. He is at minimum, guilty of not paying attention to his teammates or not caring enough about them to take what was being said seriously. These aren’t crimes, but they are character flaws and mistakes. Our media isn’t running him out of town with these questions, they’re making him accountable for the actions he took (or didn’t take) during that time.
I don’t understand. How do you know that he knew?

Because your beer league experience told you that you knew? I’ve been in competitive sports teams at higher levels than you have and we don’t share the same experience. So does that make me wrong?

I just don’t understand how you’re so certain he was complicit? I’m saying we don’t make presumptions until we know that facts. You’re jumping in this thread like you KNOW he knew and it’s not a fact.

It’s not a fact. And until it is, no feet should be held to any fire.

PeteEakins

Oct 9, 2021
It’s hard to believe that he wasn’t at least partially aware of the incident. I choose to believe him when he says he didn’t know but I maintain my skepticism.
You’re making assumptions and inferences. Why is that necessary? Why can’t we wait until we know for sure?

Hard to believe? That’s your opinion. But why insinuate that the guy knows? Do you know he knows? You don’t. So don’t make assumptions.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You’re making assumptions and inferences. Why is that necessary? Why can’t we wait until we know for sure?

Hard to believe? That’s your opinion. But why insinuate that the guy knows? Do you know he knows? You don’t. So don’t make assumptions.
I’m simply having an opinion on the matter, as are you. I’m not prepping the cross, I’m stating what I believe, just as others have.

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
As I sad in the other thread I’ll have zero objection to telling him to f*** off if he was directly involved in anything, and in all honesty I can’t imagine too many scenarios where he wasn’t aware so some sort of extent and ass such I definitely already feel a certain amount of loss of respect for him and the rest of the “leaders” on the team, all that being said I think it’s important to not speculate or create ideas of what exactly happened.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton

[MOD] He should have his feet held to the fire? Because he happened to be a Blackhawk when something shitty happened? You have NO f***ing idea what he knew, or that he did anything wrong. If something changes and it's proven that he was a ring leader in tormenting the player after it had happened, you can call him anything you want to. Until then you should hold your f***ing tongue and stop the witch hunt you f***ing paragon of morality, you. [MOD] I pray to God you're never in a similar situation, and if you are you're given the benefit of the doubt that you refuse to give Duncan Keith.

Last edited by a moderator:

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I don’t understand. How do you know that he knew?

Because your beer league experience told you that you knew? I’ve been in competitive sports teams at higher levels than you have and we don’t share the same experience. So does that make me wrong?

I just don’t understand how you’re so certain he was complicit? I’m saying we don’t make presumptions until we know that facts. You’re jumping in this thread like you KNOW he knew and it’s not a fact.

It’s not a fact. And until it is, no feet should be held to any fire.

I’m not saying he was complicit. I’m saying the questions deserve to be asked.

The fact that players have already said other players knew is already concerning. At this point him knowing is a lot more likely hypothesis than not.

Also if you expect any concrete facts about whether or not Keith knew, you’re gonna be SOL. Any lawsuits will likely be done under seal to protect the victim so it’s doubtful anyone will ever know for sure.

Also you were at competitive levels of sport and you didn’t get to know your teammates well??? I find that extremely hard to believe.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Until this is proven, why insinuate like you think this is true? Put yourself in his shoes and tell me that’s fair.
That's how life works. Keith was leader on the team.......I would be shocked if he didn't know. In fact ex team mates said all the players in knew.

PeteEakins

Oct 9, 2021

The fact that players have already said other players knew is already concerning. At this point him knowing is a lot more likely hypothesis than not.

Also if you expect any concrete facts about whether or not Keith knew, you’re gonna be SOL. Any lawsuits will likely be done under seal to protect the victim so it’s doubtful anyone will ever know for sure.

Also you were at competitive levels of sport and you didn’t get to know your teammates well??? I find that extremely hard to believe.
You’ve said your piece, as have I. We fundamentally disagree and that’s that. Let’s allow other voices to pitch in. I’d like to hear what others have to say.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
[MOD] He should have his feet held to the fire? Because he happened to be a Blackhawk when something shitty happened? You have NO f***ing idea what he knew, or that he did anything wrong. If something changes and it's proven that he was a ring leader in tormenting the player after it had happened, you can call him anything you want to. Until then you should hold your f***ing tongue and stop the witch hunt you f***ing paragon of morality, you. [MOD] I pray to God you're never in a similar situation, and if you are you're given the benefit of the doubt that you refuse to give Duncan Keith.

[MOD]

Secondly, if this is your reaction to someone asking questions about being potentially complicit in a SA coverup, not to mention someone you probably don’t even know personally, then I hope to god nobody you know is assaulted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
Even with the metoo movement people are still afraid of repercussions from seniors for speaking about what they want to bury. It was even worse 10 years ago; everyone likes to pretend they’re all high and mighty, but how many people actually risk it all in these situations? I would say the skills coach with Chicago was the only one to really do that. Probably 1/100+ people in the organization. Seems pretty standard when you actually have a risk for speaking up. Even if keith knew, I’ll give him a pass as long as he didn’t actively participate in the bullying. The scary thing about this is he was a video coach. The internet likes that stuff.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Just say no comment and let people go crazy in their own minds spinning up their own narrative. The mob will move on and find something else to be outraged about soon enough, they always do.

That’s where Chevy and Q went wrong, once you lie you’re stuck. They should of just said I’m not going to comment on an active situation until the investigation is concluded and a report is released.

Reactions: oilers'72

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton

Those questions were asked today and he said he didn't know about it. Are you going to put your torch out now or would you prefer to keep it burning just incase? I have a feeling you're the "keep it burning" type.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I mean is there anything else to do at this point besides take Keith at his word?

The Chicago Blackhawks situation is disgusting but torching everyone even remotely associated with that team doesn't seem reasonable.

The information is coming out and people are losing their jobs because of it. I'm happy John Doe is finally starting to get justice for what happened to him but until Keith is credibly tied to this situation I hope he is left alone.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Until this is proven, why insinuate like you think this is true? Put yourself in his shoes and tell me that’s fair.
I agree completely. You forget where you are expressing your opinion though, the Internet.

According to Twitter and Reddit yesterday he should have never been acquired or we should suspend him.

This is the same fan base, and platform, that wanted Jones run out of town because he posted a trump message on his IG story.

People don’t care about facts anymore, they want to see others suffer more than find out facts. There is many people across here, Twitter, Reddit who would rather see Keith just suffer the consequences because that would make them feel good about themselves, they think they are making a difference by requesting on the internet that he be brought to justice.

For the whole “he’s not telling the truth” crowd, that’s on his conscience then. I read that report and anyone who played a part in, or even knew about that has to live with that now, and can likely never look at that cup run the same. I’ll let people smarter then me find facts and bring justice where needed.

As for Keith I’ll keep rooting for him until I see concrete proof otherwise.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad