LeBrun: Duncan Keith Has Opted to Retire

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
Honestly, the Keith trade doesn’t seem so bad given this news. A year of mentorship for a guy like Bouchard from a first ballot hall of famer seems very valuable.

The problem for the Oilers is that this means they’re going to offer an absurd amount of money to a mediocre goalie like Campbell.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Holland has to not f*** this up for the Oilers, which is borderline difficult for him not to do. The time is now to sink or swim Edmonton.
Yeah he used his 20M mulligan last year. No mistakes this time.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Yeah it does affect the jobs because on the one end, NHL is making 7M of potential salaries evaporate through the CHI penalty, and then on the other, not honouring the offsetting cap credit from the same system. I'm partially biased since I'd like the extra 3.4M, but it seems objectively sus. Why should the NHLPA have to suck up the cap recapture if the NHL won't let it go the other way too. All this does is mean that the total cap hit of Keiths contract exceceds the cash in the end, which is the first time in NHL history that Final Cap =/= final $ paid (AFAIK).
I agree EDM should get a cap credit. It's not like cap credits don't happen. Maybe EDM can file a grievance or something.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
wait so does edmonton get cap relief, remember that they wouldn't get credit if he retired.
They get 5.54 million cap hit offer their books . As the CBA is written they also were to receive a 3.4 million recapture credit. The NHL is saying they won't get that credit however it is written in the CBA and the players union may get involved. NHL likes to change rules as they go.

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
They get 5.54 million cap hit offer their books . As the CBA is written they also were to receive a 3.4 million recapture credit. The NHL is saying they won't get that credit however it is written in the CBA and the players union may get involved. NHL likes to change rules as they go.
I can see why the nhl would be fighting the cap credit issue. Just imagine the crazy stuff that can happen with the Shea Weber contract. Last 4 years are 3M, 1M, 1M, and 1M. I mean if he retired for that last season vegas could end up with 18M in cap credit. Probably want to put a stop to it before some gms get some crazy ideas

Okanagan

Jan 7, 2019
I can see why the nhl would be fighting the cap credit issue. Just imagine the crazy stuff that can happen with the Shea Weber contract. Last 4 years are 3M, 1M, 1M, and 1M. I mean if he retired for that last season vegas could end up with 18M in cap credit. Probably want to put a stop to it before some gms get some crazy ideas
I fully expect Bettman to flip 180 on this when Vegas is in that position and give them the full cap credit.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So is Chicago just eating the difference between his cap hit and what he is owed on the final year of his contract which was $1.5 mill? If not, that seems odd given that Keith counted $5.54 against the Oilers cap last season.

What I’m happy about is that I don’t have to hear Canucks fans moan and complain that they are the only ones to get hit by recapture.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This is chicago cap recapture penalty

Should have been limited to the amount outstanding when he retired. Overcharging on the cap recapture is dumb. Total cash = total cap hit. Now there is the gap due to overcharging....

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
They get 5.54 million cap hit offer their books . As the CBA is written they also were to receive a 3.4 million recapture credit. The NHL is saying they won't get that credit however it is written in the CBA

Isn't the wording recapture penalty. Giving a team $3.4m isn't a penalty.

and the players union may get involved. NHL likes to change rules as they go.

I doubt they really care. They are so deep into escrow territory giving more cap to allow Edmonton to spend more just decreases the take home pay of the players on other 31 teams.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Good luck to Keith in retirement. What a player and what a warrior. Complete Class Act in Edmonton.

Brought exactly what we needed. A Top 4D who could bring some veteran leadership and Cup swagger. Great puck movement and mentor ship for Bouch. Helped us get over the hump and win some series. Edmonton got everything we could have hoped for out of this deal. We regret nothing.

Also, big L to all the dumbasses that thought Chicago should have retained on this trade. Now they have 5.5M bad cap and 1.9M bad cup on their books, and the risk of this happening was ALWAYS known when the deal was initially negotiated. Oh they also got nothing prospect Caleb Jones and a 3rd. Not too much to pay for a legit Top 4 dman.

Reactions: Leo360

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Should have been limited to the amount outstanding when he retired. Overcharging on the cap recapture is dumb. Total cash = total cap hit. Now there is the gap due to overcharging....
Seems odd to do it this way given that he was due $1.5 mill and was supposed to count $5.5 mill. Edm took a $5.5 cap Charge last season. Why is there a charge of $1.9 mill in 23/24? Al but $3.8 mill hit the salary cap…. Weird.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I agree EDM should get a cap credit. It's not like cap credits don't happen. Maybe EDM can file a grievance or something.
They probably will but the NHL will drag it until next year than say oh sorry you should’ve got it last year. We apologize. But you can’t have it this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad