Line Combos: Dumo or Petts in '22-'23

Should Brian Dumoulin and Marcus Pettersson begin next season with the Pens?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Which player should the Penguins hold onto in '22-'23? While it is too early to tell, just assume the Megatron variant ends the current season tomorrow.

Yes, you can consider what you think the player's likely value on the trade market would be in answering this question.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins would be morons to pick Pettersson over Dumoulin.

Pettersson being younger and signed for longer doesn't mean anything if he's a bottom pair D while Dumoulin is a top pair D. Pettersson hasn't played 20 minutes in a game since November, and he's averaging less than 15:30 per game in the 32 games since his last 20 minute game. Dumoulin hasn't averaged less than 20 minutes a game since his rookie season.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Can’t answer the question without knowing the replacement…if it’s POJ, I said we should keep them both

Reactions: Victor Z

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People who think Pettersson and POJ play a similar role also will have this issue.

Yeah, I really don't think it would be hard to replace Pettersson's role at all.

POJ and Pettersson don't play a similar style, I'm pretty sure most people know that from watching their time in the NHL. POJ is much more like Matheson than Pettersson. But Pettersson's role with the Penguins is insanely easy to replace because of how he's used at this point.

Reactions: EpiPen and Rave7215

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Dumo, Letang, Math, Marino, Pets, POJ, Friedman. There’s your 7 next season. Who cares if a lefty needs to slide to the right. Don’t understand why that’s suddenly important when we won cups with Daley & Hainsey playing the right.

If you're fine with the defense being soft, just sliding POJ into Ruhwedel's spot would work really well. I think POJ and Pettersson would complement each other well like Matheson and Pettersson would. It's just a question of whether one of those two can play RD. Just because some LD can play RD doesn't mean all guys can do that comfortably.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If you're fine with the defense being soft, just sliding POJ into Ruhwedel's spot would work really well. I think POJ and Pettersson would complement each other well like Matheson and Pettersson would. It's just a question of whether one of those two can play RD. Just because some LD can play RD doesn't mean all guys can do that comfortably.
Matheson is my pick to slide over since he’s played there before in Florida, supposedly. And really subtracting Ruh and adding POJ doesn’t make us any softer than we currently are. POJ is bigger and more physical than Ruh.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dumo who I think was really key in winning two cups is sliding. He to me is not a top pairing D man although he is on this roster. But he is over contractually after next year and then move on with the cap space. I think Petts can be moved as well but if he plays 13 to 14 minutes and is not over exposed he is OK. I didn't like the extension by GMJR for that term and he simply was never going to be a strong number 2 caliber D man. But Pens need to see if POJ or someone can emerge and use the cap savings for a RD with some size and grit.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I pretty much guarantee the people who shit on POJ on this website are the same people who also haven't seen a single game of his in WBS.
Weren’t you the one that said Simon would never play in the NHL this year when it was announced we signed him, defending the signing?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I pretty much guarantee the people who shit on POJ on this website are the same people who also haven't seen a single game of his in WBS.

if you’ve watched him at the NHL level though then you know he’s not ready….two different competitors

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Matheson, Marino, Petts, Dumo, POJ - I would care if we traded any of them. I'm not saying they all suck and they all need to go but I don't think any of them are must keeps. I'd trade any of them in a hockey trade deal.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Whoever gets the best return should go, imo. I can't stand Petts' style but he's a fine enough, safe (if expensive) bottom pairing guy, who is young enough to potentially still grow into what Dumo's been as a Penguin. I think Dumo's pretty overrated by the fanbase nowadays, and we wouldn't really see a jarring effect throughout if he were traded. Not sure either brings back a return that warrants moving them, but if they do, go for it. Doesn't really matter, and POJ's gotta sink or swim sooner than later.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The only D-man that should 100% not be brought back in Ruhwedel.

They need a rugged D-man.

I mean, I don't even want him coming back as the #7/8/9...

Reactions: wizmet12

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I mean aside from getting walked by Barzal last year, which even happens to Letang & Dumo now and then, I thought POJ has looked fine. Maybe better than just fine. I’d trust him on the 3rd pairing today if we weren’t so prone to injuries + trying to make a Cup run with a narrowing window. I think he’s as good as Dumo was at the same age.

I think the timelines and contracts kinda fit right now for Dumo to walk as a FA. Maybe either now or next season you lower Dumo’s minutes a tad, give more responsibility to MM & Pets. Dumo walks and everyone slides up 1 spot.

In an absolute pinch, like if it’s the difference between keeping Rust & Letang or not, trade Dumo at the draft. You’d get a couple 2nds or prospect equivalents for him, at least.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Highly doubt its between those 2 actually. I think its more Between Petts and Marino. One of them will be moved. Dumo will get a similar contract he has now and stay with Letang. But we cant keep rolling with 5 4mil+ defensemen in the lineup. Salary needs to be moved from there to other areas. Resign Dumo to a similar contract, trade one of Petts or Marino for assets, profit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad