Proposal: Dumba to Calgary

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
1st (2017) + Fox/Kylington + Shinkaruk

-Fox just put up the best PPG for a freshmen D since Brian Leetch and he also led the NCAA in points per game for D(40 in 35). Vegas would have interest IMO. I see him as a Ghost. Meh 5 on 5, wow on the PP.

-Kylington has oodles of upside and just finished his second year in the AHL. Also was probably Sweden's best player at the WJC. Can be a frustrating player though. Probably one of the biggest boom or bust prospects in the league. Does he become Brodie or blah?

Dumba is the kind of defencemen Calgary needs to become a dominant team.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
I see Vegas doing this with a few of their selections. I think McPhee will be super busy and end up with a **** tonne of futures. As a flames fan I would love to see this deal, but I see other teams bidding for Dumba with aggressive packages as well. Vegas is in a good situation. I wonder if they would want our 2018 1st more though. I think 2018 1st, Kylington, Shinkurak might get it done.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I see Vegas doing this with a few of their selections. I think McPhee will be super busy and end up with a **** tonne of futures. As a flames fan I would love to see this deal, but I see other teams bidding for Dumba with aggressive packages as well. Vegas is in a good situation. I wonder if they would want our 2018 1st more though. I think 2018 1st, Kylington, Shinkurak might get it done.

Maybe but the Flames might be picking quite a bit lower next year.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1st (2017) + Fox/Kylington + Shinkaruk

-Fox just put up the best PPG for a freshmen D since Brian Leetch and he also led the NCAA in points per game for D(40 in 35). Vegas would have interest IMO. I see him as a Ghost. Meh 5 on 5, wow on the PP.

-Kylington has oodles of upside and just finished his second year in the AHL. Also was probably Sweden's best player at the WJC. Can be a frustrating player though. Probably one of the biggest boom or bust prospects in the league. Does he become Brodie or blah?

Dumba is the kind of defencemen Calgary needs to become a dominant team.

What about Dumba makes him the kind of dman the Flames need? Hamilton, Giordano and Brodie, that's plenty of offensive minded dmen. The Flames need a Methot type to pair with Brodie, not an offensive minded player like Dumba that is prone to defensive lapses. In fact he is probably the least of the type of dmen the Flames need.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i don't think Calgary needs another loose cannon like Dumba.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
We have a lot of loose cannons do we?

so goddamn touchy. the few games i've watched Calgary didn't really strike me as a defensively responsible team. please, forgive me for having an opinion that you'd be better off with a primarily defensive minded guy.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
so goddamn touchy. the few games i've watched Calgary didn't really strike me as a defensively responsible team. please, forgive me for having an opinion that you'd be better off with a primarily defensive minded guy.

Haha wow. It was just a question, not touchy at all.

Seems as though you may be the one who's a tad touchy.

You are right though, we do need a good stay at home type to pair with Brodie and round out the top 4. That's probably going to be Stone, as we're all pretty sure he's going to get re-signed.

I'd still happily take Dumba though.

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Kulak - Dumba

Gives 5 guys who can play 20+ minutes effectively, lefty/righty combo through all three pairs, and a good average age overall.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
IS Dumba old enough to trade for a package? If I was McPhee I would point at Bennett for a more 1+1 trade....

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
IS Dumba old enough to trade for a package? If I was McPhee I would point at Bennett for a more 1+1 trade....

That makes some sense. LVK are going to be looking for top6 forwards, and that's what Bennett is...right?...right?

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
That makes some sense. LVK are going to be looking for top6 forwards, and that's what Bennett is...right?...right?

He has the chane to still reach it, picks and prospect would be their least problem. I expect them to atlast have 15 deals ready for the expansion, involving picks and prospects..

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Is Dumba being traded for sure over Brodin?

Dumba has been exposed in the expansion draft. Brodin was protected by Minny.

The OP is proposing the Flames try to get Vegas to take him from Minny and then flip him to the Flames.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Dumba has been exposed in the expansion draft. Brodin was protected by Minny.

The OP is proposing the Flames try to get Vegas to take him from Minny and then flip him to the Flames.

It would be a very convoluted type of deal to include Coyle in a 3 way trade between Wild-GK-Flames. Not sure it is doable. I guess that's what i was going for.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
The cost wouldn't make any sense. He'd be the fourth best offensive threat on Calgary and wouldn't get any PP time.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The cost wouldn't make any sense. He'd be the fourth best offensive threat on Calgary and wouldn't get any PP time.

He would easily play on one of your PP units

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
Personally as a Calgary fan I do not like the OPs proposal. Its basically 2 first round picks and a second for Dumba. Thats an overpayment! Maybe not a massive overpayment but still an overpayment.

Add to this we are trading this package for a #4dman for our team. Thats insane!

Wild/Vegas fans dont be offended, not knocking Dumba as a player or his value. Paying that price for him as a #4 dman on this team is insane.

Calgary should sign Stone and keep all their assets.

As for Bennett for Dumba? I am a huge fan of the young 20 year old center. Given good linemates to play with and lots of minutes this kid could be a star. 1st line center.

Dumba does not get you that. Vegas is gonna have a good dcore and goaltending, their forwards are going to suck. A guy like Bennett could end up being the franchise center for vegas in a trade. As such Dumba, a 1st, and more!

Dont get me wrong! Bennett for Dumba right now? The value based off performance is close. Bennetts upside is just so much more. Dumba has upside too.

I am not giving up Sam Bennett for a #4 dman on this team.

Again not knocking Dumba, its more of team need. Calgary does not need Dumba.

Would we like to have him Sure! Vegas would get much better value dealing with another team that needs Dumba. His upside is #2 or #3 dman, we already have those in Calgary.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What about Dumba makes him the kind of dman the Flames need? Hamilton, Giordano and Brodie, that's plenty of offensive minded dmen. The Flames need a Methot type to pair with Brodie, not an offensive minded player like Dumba that is prone to defensive lapses. In fact he is probably the least of the type of dmen the Flames need.

Brodie is not an offensive-minded defenseman. He's one of the best defensive defensemen in the league who just happens to be great offensively when the opportunity arises. If anything, he needs an offensive-minded defenseman as he had some of the worst shot generation numbers in the NHL last year. He always gambles towards defense rather than making risky pinches, he doesn't do much from the points... the reason he worked so well with Stone and Giordano was because those guys are effective point shooters.

He may have elite offensive skill, but he is not an offensive-minded defenseman.

I don't have a good read on Dumba's game, so I can't comment, but giving Brodie a poor man's Giordano is the kind of partner he needs, a point-man who can handle top four minutes and use a tight gap to deny zone entries. Basically Kulak + 10lbs

Calgary was the sixth-best shot suppression team in the league last year, despite regularly rolling a miserable third pair of Bartkowski/Jokipakka-Engelland. Minnesota was 21st, so I wouldn't be throwing stones from there. Calgary could use a defensive minded guy to pair with Kulak on our third pair (ideally, bring back Michael Stone) who can kill penalties, but that's the extent of it.

Know who else is looking for top six forwards?
Calgary.

Last edited:

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Brodie is not an offensive-minded defenseman. He's one of the best defensive defensemen in the league who just happens to be great offensively when the opportunity arises. If anything, he needs an offensive-minded defenseman as he had some of the worst shot generation numbers in the NHL last year. He always gambles towards defense rather than making risky pinches, he doesn't do much from the points... the reason he worked so well with Stone and Giordano was because those guys are effective point shooters.

He may have elite offensive skill, but he is not an offensive-minded defenseman.

I don't have a good read on Dumba's game, so I can't comment, but giving Brodie a poor man's Giordano is the kind of partner he needs, a point-man who can handle top four minutes and use a tight gap to deny zone entries. Basically Kulak + 10lbs

Calgary was the sixth-best shot suppression team in the league last year, despite regularly rolling a miserable third pair of Bartkowski/Jokipakka-Engelland. Minnesota was 21st, so I wouldn't be throwing stones from there. Calgary could use a defensive minded guy to pair with Kulak on our third pair (ideally, bring back Michael Stone) who can kill penalties, but that's the extent of it.

Know who else is looking for top six forwards?
Calgary.

well i did say i hadn't watched more than a few games, and the eye test there wasn't great. Call it throwing stones if you will. Just an opinion. regarding shot suppression, that wasn't really the Wild goal at all. We were concentrating on keeping teams on the outside and letting them shoot from there rather than get inside for dangerous chances. context.

edit: to be clear, i don't think Dumba would hurt you at all, but it just looked to me if you were spending major assets on something it probably shouldn't be an offensive defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad