Pre-Game Talk: Dumb a$$ schedule. Sabers, Tues Oct 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think a legit criticism of the Cambpell signing is that they locked in a goalie long term while possibly having a cheap starter in Skinner sitting there ready to take that spot. Could've had an extra 2 million if you went with a goalie of lower pedigree to split with Skinner. Obviously a gigantic risk, because if Skinner is terrible you've blown a season at least, but a huge potential payoff. I get why they went with Campbell, but it's going to get real dicey around here if Skinner outplays him this season.

If you look at emerging goalies, Skinner's stats are right there at the top. I agree with you, he's a legit potential number one.

As long as Campbell performs it won't be an obstacle getting rid of his deal if we have to. The 10 team no trade list is a bit of an obstacle, but the demand for goalies is much higher than supply so if he's posting a .910 sv% + that deal will be acceptable for any team that needs goaltending.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Two things for me:

1) I can't help but wonder if the Oilers miss Duncan Keith's influence.

Yes, he was older and had lost a step, but he still had the veteran experience and battle smarts that this current defense really does not have (not even Nurse IMO). It's great that he's in a "player development role"; but that's obviously not the same as actually being physically present on the ice for in-game situations.

2) Perhaps it's 17-18 all over again, and the locker room is guilty of believing their own press clippings / forgetting where they came from.

Woodcroft came in during a "do-or-die" situation, and the players realized that they'd be in a world of hurt if they didn't step up their game. Kane also came in knowing he was one or two more bad decisions away from being out of the league. Combine those desperation factors together, and everything went supernova.

Now however, they're fresh off a Final 4 Finish, Kane has secured his future, and the desperation has given way to "we can turn it up when we need to". It's kind of like the fat guy who works hard to lose weight, gets slim, and seems like a great success story. But after hitting his target weight, he thinks he's arrived...and not long after, the old excuses, bad habits, and deep-fried patterns resurface with a vengeance.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Two things for me:

Yes, he was older and had lost a step, but he still had the veteran experience and battle smarts that this current defense really does not have (not even Nurse IMO). It's great that he's in a "player development role"; but that's obviously not the same as actually being physically present on the ice for in-game situations.

2) Perhaps it's 17-18 all over again, and the locker room is guilty of believing their own press clippings / forgetting where they came from.

Woodcroft came in during a "do-or-die" situation, and the players realized that they'd be in a world of hurt if they didn't step up their game. Kane also came in knowing he was one or two more bad decisions away from being out of the league. Combine those desperation factors together, and everything went supernova.

Now however, they're fresh off a Final 4 Finish, Kane has secured his future, and the desperation has given way to "we can turn it up when we need to". It's kind of like the fat guy who works hard to lose weight, gets slim, and seems like a great success story. But after hitting his target weight, he thinks he's arrived...and not long after, the old excuses, bad habits, and deep-fried patterns resurface with a vengeance.

To me it's entirely effort/focus based and the issues are 80% with the defense.

Nurse - good in flashes so far, but not moving his feet, trying and missing most medium to long range outlet passes, putting himself in dumb positions then pissing the puck to the middle, etc. Basically all the stupid rookie shit that infects his game is there in full force this year. It's mental with him again.

Ceci - mostly good, been relied upon to clean up the mess of some pretty shitty performances from his partners. Made Murray look passable after they got paired against the Flames.

Kulak - see Nurse. Mental mistakes, not focused.

Bouchard - needs to have a fire lit under his ass so he at least appears to give a shit below the circles and net front. He's playing lazy and needs to be woken up.

Murray - unplayable. Limit his ice. Can't defend at all down low.

Barrie - the typical mistakes are there with him, but not more than usual. He's playing ok by the standards he has set for him.

When you only have 2 d men playing with anything close to the required degree of focus this is the result you get unfortunately. The forward group needs to do everything in their power to help them out until they wake up and start playing at an NHL level again, but it's ridiculous that they have to. The play from the defense as a whole has been nothing short of an embarrassment to start the year. It's time for Nurse to look in the mirror and decide what kind of player he wants to be for us this year. The dumb shit plays he constantly makes are completely unacceptable, but he keeps sleep walking into games and making them.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Two things for me:

All this "could" be true but its waaaaaaaaaaay too early to jump to any conclusions.

Last year the Oilers had a great start but it was a total mirage due to an easy schedule and some good luck. IMO I remember the Oiler looking very poor to start and just somehow getting it done despite that. The term "ugly win" was tossed around in all its variations over and over again last year.

This year we have a tough schedule so don't be surprised if we are not as successful.

Woody needs to get the team back playing to what we know it can. Like we saw when he took over and into the playoffs. Plain and simple. The players of course need to buy and get er done as well.

Even if the wins don't come as quickly as I would like I at least want to see the effort and execution there within the next few games. Improvement every game would be great to see.

Its very normal for many teams to play rough/inconsistent to start the season. Hopefully the Oilers can improve quickly and get into a good groove.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
In the grand scheme of things not sure Saturdays game mattered all that much. I think if we had pulled out a (emotionful) win, we would of laid a stinker against Buffalo (I've seen too many stinkers against Buffalo because the team cant seem to get up for them). Hopefully the poor game against Calgary gets everyone ready for the next game.

I'd really like to see Woodcroft establish some lines and system and stick with them, in this game. I havent loved the blender or just throwing McDavid and Draisaitl together right off the bat.

I hope they give Skinner this game. Nothing on Campbell (I think people are overreacting), but I think it was a game that Skinner was probably going to start anyway. I'd rather the team just stick with logical choices rather than try and outsmart themselves.
Usually a loss to Calgary would upset me but I this loss didn't bother me all that much, although I missed most of the game so that might have played a role.

Personally, I don't care much about the regular season anymore in terms of the Oilers. Maybe it's a little presumptuous to assume that the Oilers will make the playoffs but I think the Oilers are at a stage of their development where the regular season doesn't mean as much anymore, sort of like where the Leafs are where it's all about the playoffs.

It's a weird feeling because I've never gone into a season as an Oilers fan where the Oilers were a virtual lock to make the playoffs (barring serious injuries of course), I never fully bought into the hype after '16-'17, so it's an odd and a settling feeling knowing that through all the ups and downs (and there will be plenty of downs I'm sure) that they will more than likely make the playoffs regardless and that my emotions will be pretty even keel even if they have some dips. I'm not buying into Cup contention with this current roster but I feel that playoffs is a near certainty unless something unforeseen happens. I'm sure this post will be bookmarked and I'll get the blame if they do miss haha

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Calgary had all the motivation in the world and beat us when we had an off game. That I'm not concerned about. However, if we surrender several goals to the Buffalo f***ing Sabers in the 1st and our players yet again don't show up to start, I will be concerned. Woodcroft needs to tell them that the game starts at 7:00pm, not 8:00pm.

Unfortunately, I could see it. Sabres are better and they never seem to win against them in the McDavid era. Hopefully this time they do

Usually a loss to Calgary would upset me but I this loss didn't bother me all that much, although I missed most of the game so that might have played a role.

Personally, I don't care much about the regular season anymore in terms of the Oilers. Maybe it's a little presumptuous to assume that the Oilers will make the playoffs but I think the Oilers are at a stage of their development where the regular season doesn't mean as much anymore, sort of like where the Leafs are where it's all about the playoffs.

It's a weird feeling because I've never gone into a season as an Oilers fan where the Oilers were a virtual lock to make the playoffs (barring serious injuries of course), I never fully bought into the hype after '16-'17, so it's an odd and a settling feeling knowing that through all the ups and downs (and there will be plenty of downs I'm sure) that they will more than likely make the playoffs regardless and that my emotions will be pretty even keel even if they have some dips. I'm not buying into Cup contention with this current roster but I feel that playoffs is a near certainty unless something unforeseen happens. I'm sure this post will be bookmarked and I'll get the blame if they do miss haha

This is 100% the way I feel as well, which is part of why the hyperbole during the GDT gets to me more than It did before.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Hopefully they get off to a decent start in this one. I do wonder if a full implementation of Woodcroft's system might be causing some adjustment issues, he's not making do with what he had to work with when he took over last season and slowly adding in adjustments when time allowed anymore. Might be contributing to some of the on-ice miscommunications and out of sync nature we're seeing out of the Oiler's play.

Regardless of what's going on, Murray needs to be in the press box next game. He looked terrible in the preseason, and his regular season play makes him look like the playoff version of Ethan Bear.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Calgary had all the motivation in the world and beat us when we had an off game. That I'm not concerned about. However, if we surrender several goals to the Buffalo f***ing Sabers in the 1st and our players yet again don't show up to start, I will be concerned. Woodcroft needs to tell them that the game starts at 7:00pm, not 8:00pm.
Buffalo ain't gonna wait around seeing if we get our jets going. They were shit first game and have played a couple good games since. They're not a good club, but they're probably going to work hard. This is the easiest game we have on the schedule for awhile. But the Oilers need to get a result here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think a legit criticism of the Cambpell signing is that they locked in a goalie long term while possibly having a cheap starter in Skinner sitting there ready to take that spot. Could've had an extra 2 million if you went with a goalie of lower pedigree to split with Skinner. Obviously a gigantic risk, because if Skinner is terrible you've blown a season at least, but a huge potential payoff. I get why they went with Campbell, but it's going to get real dicey around here if Skinner outplays him this season.

If you look at emerging goalies, Skinner's stats are right there at the top. I agree with you, he's a legit potential number one.
Its such a critical position that if a bonafide starter, bird in hand, is available you take it just for the stability of it. Theres a difference in Skinner playing, and playing well when he knows the club has a legit starter vs the feeling that its up to him to hold down the fort much of the season. Fact is thats usually the best way to burn out a young goalie starting out, by giving him too much. I think Holland gets critiqued a lot but we got solid netminding and we're not on the hook for tons for it. This is far better than paying for Smith/Koskinen and never knowing what you will get. Team stability starts in goal. Now we have it, I'm not complaining about that aspect.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
However, just assuming everyone plays to their floor I think Skinner will be a good back-up for us this year. Another thing to remember is Campbell is relatively new to being a full time starter. Aka, we should be resting him every fourth game at the very worst.

Ideally Campbell should be rested every third game. That would lead to 55 games for Campbell and 27 for Skinner.

Starting skinner every fourth game is 61 games for Campbell and 21 for Skinner. I don't think Campbell is a 60+ game guy and would hold up to that workload.

Reactions: Aerchon

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Buffalo ain't gonna wait around seeing if we get our jets going. They were shit first game and have played a couple good games since. They're not a good club, but they're probably going to work hard. This is the easiest game we have on the schedule for awhile. But the Oilers need to get a result here.
Correction. Buffalo played two games .Good game against Senators and lost to Panthers by one goal. Was good game too.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
So Skinner vs Skinner.

Jeff Skinner is such an interesting dude. The first and fourth years of that 8 x $9M contract he was fairly compensated for his output.

The two covid years in between? Stinky performance.

If the Sabres get good Jeff Skinner for the next four years they might not regret that deal. Sure didn't look like that was possible summer of 2021.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Believe we will have a much better start and a much better game tomorrow. Holloway is scoring his first goal and we might even get a Bouch bomb or two.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
The hardest thing is sports and in life is elevating yourself to another level that you might not have known you have. I don't think Edmonton is a bonafide "contender" because of our D, but we are a top team.

Teams have seen us go to a top 4 and they are all gunning for us extra hard. That is human nature. It is up to our players to have that self inspiration/fire inside of them and hit that has pedal from the puck drop.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid commented that they had a good hard practise today but that previous practises were not very sharp ... that would explain a few things.

Like Woody, he's done a lot but it sounds like preseason and practises thus far have been too laid back. That's not good. Gotta have hard practises Woodcroft, you can't let these guys slide.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
McDavid commented that they had a good hard practise today but that previous practises were not very sharp ... that would explain a few things.

Like Woody, he's done a lot but it sounds like preseason and practises thus far have been too laid back. That's not good. Gotta have hard practises Woodcroft, you can't let these guys slide.
He’s still learning when to push and when to ease off. Probably decided to ease off given how much the group accomplished last season, but he’s a fast learner so it’s not surprising how fast he can change gears.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers and Woody should have came into this season with a prime focus on defence. The Avs had that prime focus all last year, they’d get pissed if they let in 3 goals even if they won. The entire team committed to preventing goals rather than scoring them. We just signed Campbell 5x5, our main focus should have been to get off to a good start. And if we ever want a Cup, defence has to be the prime focus, first we become a wagon of a regular season team threatening for the Presidents trophy then we compete again. This hasn’t happened. Oilers need to change their mind set.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

To me it's not a problem to have Campbell here. Of course, if he plays this bad all the time, it's not okay, but it's not a Bobrovsky situation where the cap hit is unmanageable if the play isn't there.

Skinner also should be cost controlled for quite a while. I don't think it would have been smart to assume Skinner would be good this year, so just get someone cheaper like a Samsonov. We still needed to pick a goalie we could imagine elevating in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad