GDT: Ducks vs. Blues 5:00 PM 3/10/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
We're 18-3-3 and people are complaining about our announcers, find something to be positive about, there's a lot to be positive about this year. Our announcers are better than most in the league. They aren't boring, Hayward really isn't that bad of a homer, and who cares? He's calling our games and been calling this team since day one, he's not doing National broadcasts, he's doing the team's broadcast. Plus last night there were a bunch of people on twitter telling him to stop talking so much about the Blues and how good they are. Stop only thinking about the bad.

To be fair, those complaints have been around for years. ;) I personally disagree, I like Hazy, and I don't think he's as much of a homer as he's made out to be. It's always interesting to see with him, that there's other fans that hate him for being too homerish (probably mainly for disagreeing with many calls on the Ducks, although he also critisizes many calls going our way), while there's also quite a few who really enjoy him. I personally also like the focus on the other team's players at times. In a full season, you just run out of things to say about your own group. You speak about some current developments, streaks, what not, but there's nothing wrong with giving a good look to the guys you're not seeing every gamenight.

Nikko*

There may be worse announcers in the league but that's a weak defense.

That's not my defense. Just an example of two of the many teams who have far more homer announcers. Good God, tell me you would rather have Fox and Miller.

Oct 18, 2011
There may be worse announcers in the league but that's a weak defense.

Yes, some times he does get it right. Most often he sees calls in the Ducks favor as solid and calls against the Ducks opponent as weak. And many of the times they are just as solid or just as weak.

He doesn't homer up 100% but it is waaay too often he sees calls only from the Ducks perspective. He constantly calls penalties the officials don't as a matter of routine while the game is going on. He's even starting questioning offside calls from the roof of the HC. lol.

In his eyes, just about every opponent tries to "sell" the call. I've never heard him admit that about Ryan. if you don't like the ducks slant on a ducks broadcast, then find the other teams feed and get theirs

I expect any teams announcers to pull for their team. It's only natural. I expect them to be more professional about it than he is.

While I am defending my unpopular opinion I'll add that probably his biggest flaw is he never shuts up. His job is to talk between whistles. He talks non stop all during the game when Ahlers should be calling the game. The camera doesn't cover the whole ice. I can't see all the numbers and/or faces. Ahlers should be telling us who is doing what on the ice. But he can't because Hazy won't shut up about some worthless drivel.
That's his job, and that's what most regional announce teams do. He has called Ryan selling calls plenty of times. if you dont like the ducks slant, on a ducks feed, find the opposing teams broadcasters

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That's not my defense. Just an example of two of the many teams who have far more homer announcers. Good God, tell me you would rather have Fox and Miller.

Too many people around here think if you support a team you automatically have to support their announcers and hate other teams announcers. Fox can be hard to take at times but Bob Miller is one of the best in the business and has been for many years. He's 70 now and can miss a step but he's a class act and a great announcer. Don't evaluate the announcers based on your disike of the team.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
To me, Miller is a boring relic of a bygone era. I remember listening to him in the early 90s and I found him to be boring then. It is commendable that he's been their lifetime guy, I'm happy for him, and he certainly carries the respect of the weight of years, but I don't find anything redeeming about him as an announcer. He's completely forgettable.

I love Hayward. He's a bit of a homer now, but he wasn't always. Between he and Chris Madsen, it was sometimes impossible for them to disguise their bitterness at what they were seeing. I remember a game where the Ducks were down 6-2 to the brand-new Avalanche, and came back to tie it on a huge game by Selanne, and you almost couldn't get them to pay attention to the damn game.

That said, Ahlers is so dorky he makes me miss Madsen at times. But on the whole, I like the Hayward-Ahlers tandem. I don't know what crawled up your butt about them, Eddie, but I think we're fairly fortunate to have two articulate, enthusiastic guys calling our games. Some of the color guys out there are borderline incoherent. The Avs guy can't finish a sentence. Chico Resch shouldn't be eating solid food. Etc.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
To me, Miller is a boring relic of a bygone era. I remember listening to him in the early 90s and I found him to be boring then. It is commendable that he's been their lifetime guy, I'm happy for him, and he certainly carries the respect of the weight of years, but I don't find anything redeeming about him as an announcer. He's completely forgettable.

I love Hayward. He's a bit of a homer now, but he wasn't always. Between he and Chris Madsen, it was sometimes impossible for them to disguise their bitterness at what they were seeing. I remember a game where the Ducks were down 6-2 to the brand-new Avalanche, and came back to tie it on a huge game by Selanne, and you almost couldn't get them to pay attention to the damn game.

That said, Ahlers is so dorky he makes me miss Madsen at times. But on the whole, I like the Hayward-Ahlers tandem. I don't know what crawled up your butt about them, Eddie, but I think we're fairly fortunate to have two articulate, enthusiastic guys calling our games. Some of the color guys out there are borderline incoherent. The Avs guy can't finish a sentence. Chico Resch shouldn't be eating solid food. Etc.

I can appreciate an articulated different point of view. Thank you for that. Simply put I would like to hear somebody actually tell me what is going on on the ice that I cannot see. As I mentioned before, there is a lot you cannot see on TV. We get way too little of that and way too much of irrelevant stats and social chatter from them.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I can appreciate an articulated different point of view. Thank you for that. Simply put I would like to hear somebody actually tell me what is going on on the ice that I cannot see. As I mentioned before, there is a lot you cannot see on TV. We get way too little of that and way too much of irrelevant stats and social chatter from them.

Agree with my opinion, damnit!

What happened to Madsen?

He works at KNX now as their sports guy. He wasn't renewed after his contract came up and I remember he was shocked by it. No reason was ever given.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Sounds like you'd get more from turning off the sound and just listening to the radio feed (provided you can find one that synchs up properly) - I've done that when stuck with certain national announcers at times. I personally don't need play by play much when I'm watching a game, I want the trivia and commentary. I can tell who is carrying the puck, unless there's something going on off screen I don't need to be told so much, but I understand tastes vary. Pretty much ALL color guys are homers though. Fox and Remenda are every bit as bad or worse as Hazy. I can do without Razor's idiotic misuse of $5 words as well ("That shot was incisive!" WTF does that even mean you idiot?) The Detroit and Pittsburgh guys make them all look like Switzerland, and Jack Edwards has to be the biggest homer in sports - and he's their play by play guy.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Sounds like you'd get more from turning off the sound and just listening to the radio feed (provided you can find one that synchs up properly) - I've done that when stuck with certain national announcers at times. I personally don't need play by play much when I'm watching a game, I want the trivia and commentary. I can tell who is carrying the puck, unless there's something going on off screen I don't need to be told so much, but I understand tastes vary. Pretty much ALL color guys are homers though. Fox and Remenda are every bit as bad or worse as Hazy. I can do without Razor's idiotic misuse of $5 words as well ("That shot was incisive!" WTF does that even mean you idiot?) The Detroit and Pittsburgh guys make them all look like Switzerland, and Jack Edwards has to be the biggest homer in sports - and he's their play by play guy.

I do understand some of the national guys are pretty bad. They're all homers to an extent and I'm ok with that. I'd just prefer they be a bit more professional about it.

I do mute the sound at times and it isn't so bad. But that precludes me from going to the fridge for a beer or turning away for a moment to multitask.

Maybe it's just me (insert snarky comment here) but I see a lot of small, excellent (or sometimes not) plays made without being able to see who it is. The camera moves on and I never get another good look at a number or face. I like to know who is hustling and making plays that don't show up in the box score. I want to make my own evaluation of who is playing well and who isn't. That's what I expect a PxP guy to tell me. That used to be their job. But Ahlers can't do that because Hazy is constantly waxing poetically about goalie pads, the call the refs just missed, or his recent talk with the coach at the morning skate, all during the action on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad