Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Nico Myatovic to ELC (3 years, $897k AAV; begins 2024-25)

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
This is my problem with your argument, though - almost every single late round first pick IS a bottom six player. There's some weird belief that other teams are drafting all-star forwards with the 20-50OA pick and we just keep missing with ours. The reality is that there have been like 15 players in that range the last 10 drafts that have become top-6 players.

We're not bad at it, everyone is - unless you're Dallas or St. Louis.

Also Kaliyev only has 2 more points than LaCombe (who was taken 6 spots after him) this year. I can't see how that would be useful for us.

You're constructing multiple strawmen. I never said you're likely to get an all star late in the first round or after. I did say you should take a player with upside to be a top 6 guy. Occasionally you'll get a hit if you swing for some skill (Debrincat)

And then you double down by comparing Kaliyev to LaCombe when the correct comparison is to Tracey - the guy the ducks actually drafted instead of Kaliyev (and Pinto too).

To this point, Tracey has appeared in one NHL game (in 2021-22). Kaliyev has played in 187 NHL games and despite being a disappointment this year, has been far more productive than Tracey. And Kaliyev's only skill is the one thing the ducks need - shooting.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
You're constructing multiple strawmen. I never said you're likely to get an all star late in the first round or after. I did say you should take a player with upside to be a top 6 guy. Occasionally you'll get a hit if you swing for some skill (Debrincat)

I never said that you did. My comment was that there is a belief here (meaning not just you) that drafting a top-6 player with a late first round pick happens more often than it does. It doesn't occasionally happen, it rarely happens. Maybe that's splitting hairs but there is a difference in my eyes.

And then you double down by comparing Kaliyev to LaCombe when the correct comparison is to Tracey - the guy the ducks actually drafted instead of Kaliyev (and Pinto too).

To this point, Tracey has appeared in one NHL game (in 2021-22). Kaliyev has played in 187 NHL games and despite being a disappointment this year, has been far more productive than Tracey. And Kaliyev's only skill is the one thing the ducks need - shooting.

I think you are missing the point here. In the scheme of things there is no difference between Kaliyev and Tracey. Neither of them will make a significant impact on their team. Which is fine, because late first round picks rarely do.

It's actually hilarious that you mention Pinto, because he is the exact type of pick you are arguing against - he was a projected bottom 6 player with low risk and no elite attribute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad