Confirmed Signing with Link: Ducks sign Max Jones to ELC

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I remember looking at a lost of big power forward kids in the drafts. I wanted Nick Ritchie and Max Jones in recent years...crazy to see them both on the ducks. Between them two, Getzlaf, and Perry...they have a lot of snarl.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I remember looking at a lost of big power forward kids in the drafts. I wanted Nick Ritchie and Max Jones in recent years...crazy to see them both on the ducks. Between them two, Getzlaf, and Perry...they have a lot of snarl.

is nick ritchie a bust?

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
is nick ritchie a bust?

How could he be a bust? Just played his first pro season, did extremely well and played in the big league. Only thing he needs to work on is his conditioning and his skating which are relatively easy fixes, would not consider him a bust in the slightest

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
is nick ritchie a bust?

How the hell can someone possibly ask this question so soon?

Dominoes....Nash to Ducks.

50% retained would be needed for any chance for us to have any amount of interest and we would need to shed a nice amount of salary in the deal. After that I am sure Rangers would ask for a lot more then we would want to pay for a 32 year old who has missed a lot of games in 2 of the 3 past seasons and isn't that good of a playoff producer. Just don't see any deal.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
How could he be a bust? Just played his first pro season, did extremely well and played in the big league. Only thing he needs to work on is his conditioning and his skating which are relatively easy fixes, would not consider him a bust in the slightest

To be fair he wasn't overly impressive in his draft + years and damn that guy needs to start working out.

I see him listed at 6'2 232 pounds. Are you kidding me? For reference 6'9 Chara is listed at 250...

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Certainly heading towards a bust. I think at this point he is heading into bottom 6 player status, rather than top line PWF he was projected as. That is a bust to me.

For reference

Ritchie: 33 games played 4 points
Nylander 22 games played 13 points
Ehlers 72 games played 38 points
Fiala only played five games but was on a better pace
And of course, Larkin

He is for sure the most disappointing so far out of all of these.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Certainly heading towards a bust. I think at this point he is heading into bottom 6 player status, rather than top line PWF he was projected as. That is a bust to me.

For reference

And of course, Larkin

while i understand that he didn't seem entirely ready for a nhl role this year, i would argue that with nylander and ehlers were given larger roles on teams that weren't heading towards the playoffs, while ritchie came in strictly due to injuries the team had.

While he didn't light the world on fire in his first showing, the ducks can be patient with him and hopefully that helps in his development.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

For reference

And of course, Larkin

He was pretty out of shape. He'd come out like a wrecking ball every first period then do nothing the rest of the game and be chasing the play. Given his year in the AHL he's not tracking towards bust, he just wasn't up to the speed of the NHL and only played due to injuries. Power forwards take longer traditionally, hopefully he puts in work this summer and comes in with improved fitness. If he does I don't think 20 goals is out of the question for him this year.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015

For reference

And of course, Larkin

Those are highly skilled players you're listing, of course they would be posting more points, and power towards do take a longer to do develop. And I even stated he needs to get himself in shape, if he can do that he should be fine. It's not out of the question he can lose ten pounds and work on his skating.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Good to see the ducks have him locked up ... he could be a good power forward for the ducks.

As for some comments about Nick Ritchie ... it's too early to tell how he will turn out. Yes he didn't do that great when he played last year but he is only 20 years old and the reality is that power forwards take longer to develop and establish themselves as nhl regulars. Looks at players like Lucic (took 4 seasons in the nhl to develop into a good power forward, took 2 years in junior to get to the nhl so 6 years in total), Joe Thornton (3 seasons), Iginla (took 3 seasons to establish himself).

The point is the only real time that one can be reasonable certain as to whether or not a player was a good pick is about 4 to 5 years after they are drafted (in the case of forwards, d man and goalie take a bit longer to be certain).

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015

For reference

And of course, Larkin

Why not post his AHL stats? Ritchie was playing 4th line mins while his team was playing meaningful games and the others weren't. He scored almost a goal every other game in the AHL and scored like 5 goals in 7 playoffs games in the AHL. Still good for his first pro season

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
This guy has Corey perry written all over him. He played in shadows in a stacked London Knights team. I like his edge and his arrogance.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

For reference

And of course, Larkin

He sure didn´t look like a bust in AHL. Remember Filip Forsberg, looked like a bust Before he came screaming into the big league......

mytduxfan*

For reference

And of course, Larkin

Different types of players on different teams.

Ritchie is a powerforward, a type of player that usually takes longer to develop. Most of his issues are conditioning-related. Very fixable. Ritchie has also only been given sparing 4th line minutes, whilst Nylander was thrown in on the top 6 because TOR sucks. The same goes for Ehlers.

I'm not saying Ritchie is destined to be a #1st line LW or anything. I just think it's a little earlidy to start using the word "bust" to describe him.

P.S. Nylander's game log doesn't look nearly as impressive as his overall stats. Basically does nothing for most of the games and has a few multi-point games against weak teams like BUF, CGY and PHI that boost his stats. The kid was 0-0 and -2 against ANA.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I want Ritchie to succeed and become a Bertuzzi:ish kind of player, but in all fairness, trying to stay objective, he looked really underwhelming in the NHL.

I probably watched 25 of his 33 games.

Perhaps he was balls out in the other eight..

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Different types of players on different teams.

Ritchie is a powerforward, a type of player that usually takes longer to develop. Most of his issues are conditioning-related. Very fixable. Ritchie has also only been given sparing 4th line minutes, whilst Nylander was thrown in on the top 6 because TOR sucks. The same goes for Ehlers.

I'm not saying Ritchie is destined to be a #1st line LW or anything. I just think it's a little early to start using the word "bust" to describe him.

P.S. Nylander's game log doesn't look nearly as impressive as his overall stats. Basically does nothing for most of the games and has a few multi-point games against weak teams like BUF, CGY and PHI that boost his stats.

Correct.

This "bust" label is getting thrown out far too quickly around here. Ritchie's game depends on strength and out muscling defenders down low. He's still a kid and his game will be more effective as he grows into a man and gains man strength.

He does need to take his dieting and conditioning more seriously. Time to shed the baby fat and get stronger, just being big isn't enough in the NHL. He needs strength to go along with his size. A few years in the weight room and proper eating will do wonders for him. He's shown offensive talent at every level he's played at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad