Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Leo Carlsson to ELC (3 years, $950k AAV)

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
It's still unconfirmed
Those are just placeholder numbers until they confirm the contract.
Good calls

The Zegras and Terry contracts have had me uneasy this summer. Not even worried about adding another D. I want them to be at least 6 year contracts and no bridges or short contracts.

Hopefully gets done soon. We know Terry’s arbitration date is aug 2nd.

It’s like what’s to debate? Terry and Z produced on a team with bad coaching and a poor system with no depth. Give them their money!
Doesn't that take Z to UFA? I would rather have a bridge then take him right to UFA.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The Zegras and Terry contracts have had me uneasy this summer. Not even worried about adding another D. I want them to be at least 6 year contracts and no bridges or short contracts.

Hopefully gets done soon. We know Terry’s arbitration date is aug 2nd.

It’s like what’s to debate? Terry and Z produced on a team with bad coaching and a poor system with no depth. Give them their money!
I wouldn't be surprised by a 6 year Terry deal and a bridge for
Z

Good calls

Doesn't that take Z to UFA? I would rather have a bridge then take him right to UFA.
I believe a 4 year deal takes z to UFA. It's 27 or 7 years of service. Since we got all 3 years of ELC essentially on the NHL roster I don't think it slid any years to the point of him being 5 years from UFA.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nor would I but it's what they did with Kucherov. I don't like it as it puts him close to UFA and if we haven't made significant strides by then we risk him forcing his way out.

That is what I fear and also with the cap going up, I really think this kid once we bring in the support is going to be a PPG player, will cost us a lot more for a new deal. I’d rather lock him up 8 years, around 7.5 to 8 million similar to what his peers got.

Anyway don’t want to keep talking Z in the Leo thread. I really hope Leo is with the Ducks next season but if they feel he is not ready then it’s all good.

Reactions: DavidBL

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1689197992606.png

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
It's a common "joke" reply on twitter. Goes back years. If you look at the replies when guys sign ELC's or whatever, you'll likely find some version of that several times. It's not specific to the Ducks.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
If he bridges Z won’t be happy.

I think there a very good chance the opposite is true;. My thought is the hold up is because Z wants a bridge and the ducks want term.

With the cap going up, any confident guy (which Z clearly is) would want a bridge deal so he can negotiate a new deal when cap (and salaries) go up in 18 months. Similar logic to the top UFA who have signed 1 and 2 year deals.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I feel like he'll start with the Ducks, unless he looks awful in preseason, and they'll make a decision during those 9 games

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Ultimately, if there was an option on the table to trade down with CBJ, from a fans perspective Verbeek went with the least satisfying option. Ranking from best case to worst:

1. We get Carlsson + additional asset. Best case scenario for our organization with the team getting the player they rated highest with a free bonus, likely another draft pick or picks. As a fan, I would be satisfied with that outcome knowing we got who we wanted plus added value for taking non consensus pick.

2. We get Fantilli + additional asset. As a fan, we would be happiest picking the consensus best player, a guy who brings more intensity, speed, and bite. Organizationally, we would be happy since it sounds like they were extremely close in ratings, with the scouts favoring hockey sense and playmaking, and Verbeek preferring Leo developing another year in the SHL extend the tank another year and avoiding potentially stunting the prospects development.

3. Worst case for Duck fans who believe in consensus rankings and fearing we past on the better player, and maybe another Tkachuk-type impact player. We won’t know if the best option could have happened if we had a skilled negotiator or seasoned GM capable in reading or getting insights to who CBJ were planning on taking, or even get that information outright. Because this is the result we will always go back to what-ifs especially if Leo doesn’t live up to expectations, which are now higher since we passed on the consensus pick.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Ultimately, if there was an option on the table to trade down with CBJ, from a fans perspective Verbeek went with the least satisfying option. Ranking from best case to worst:

1. We get Carlsson + additional asset. Best case scenario for our organization with the team getting the player they rated highest with a free bonus, likely another draft pick or picks. As a fan, I would be satisfied with that outcome knowing we got who we wanted plus added value for taking non consensus pick.

2. We get Fantilli + additional asset. As a fan, we would be happiest picking the consensus best player, a guy who brings more intensity, speed, and bite. Organizationally, we would be happy since it sounds like they were extremely close in ratings, with the scouts favoring hockey sense and playmaking, and Verbeek preferring Leo developing another year in the SHL extend the tank another year and avoiding potentially stunting the prospects development.

3. Worst case for Duck fans who believe in consensus rankings and fearing we past on the better player, and maybe another Tkachuk-type impact player. We won’t know if the best option could have happened if we had a skilled negotiator or seasoned GM capable in reading or getting insights to who CBJ were planning on taking, or even get that information outright. Because this is the result we will always go back to what-ifs especially if Leo doesn’t live up to expectations, which are now higher since we passed on the consensus pick.
Verbeek went with the option that ASSURED him that he gets the player he wanted, pure and simple; and it was the right thing to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad