Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Leo Carlsson to ELC (3 years, $950k AAV)

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If he gets 9 games I doubt he ever gets sent down. He is such a good complimentary player that I think he will be extremely successful even if his game needs a little seasoning. Elite transition stats and puck possession will make whatever line he is on way better.

I thought the nhl had an agreement with the SHL that didn’t allow them to move players back and forth between leagues during the year. As in if he plays in the nhl his only option would be the ahl if they wanted to send him down.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

smetak

Nov 26, 2016
Czechia
According to Capfriendly, his ELC includes a European Assignment Clause. I'm not entirely sure what it means but I think it allows him to start the season in the NHL and then move to SHL
1689254100339.png

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
According to Capfriendly, his ELC includes a European Assignment Clause. I'm not entirely sure what it means but I think it allows him to start the season in the NHL and then move to SHL
View attachment 728556
Found this explanation in an article.

"On the contract side of things, you may have read about their European Assignment Clauses. This is simply language that explains where the Kings can assign/loan them to play if they don’t make the NHL. Often, this is a player’s way of controlling where they end up, rather than simply being sent to the AHL.

Keep in mind, a European Assignment Clause is not automatically included in an Entry Level Contract. It’s something that has to be negotiated. There have been examples in the past where an NHL prospect has come over without the specific language and then become upset when they don’t make the NHL and are assigned to the AHL. This has led to problems for some players/teams."

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ultimately, if there was an option on the table to trade down with CBJ, from a fans perspective Verbeek went with the least satisfying option. Ranking from best case to worst:

1. We get Carlsson + additional asset. Best case scenario for our organization with the team getting the player they rated highest with a free bonus, likely another draft pick or picks. As a fan, I would be satisfied with that outcome knowing we got who we wanted plus added value for taking non consensus pick.

2. We get Fantilli + additional asset. As a fan, we would be happiest picking the consensus best player, a guy who brings more intensity, speed, and bite. Organizationally, we would be happy since it sounds like they were extremely close in ratings, with the scouts favoring hockey sense and playmaking, and Verbeek preferring Leo developing another year in the SHL extend the tank another year and avoiding potentially stunting the prospects development.

3. Worst case for Duck fans who believe in consensus rankings and fearing we past on the better player, and maybe another Tkachuk-type impact player. We won’t know if the best option could have happened if we had a skilled negotiator or seasoned GM capable in reading or getting insights to who CBJ were planning on taking, or even get that information outright. Because this is the result we will always go back to what-ifs especially if Leo doesn’t live up to expectations, which are now higher since we passed on the consensus pick.

I mean, both GM’s wanted Leo. Jarmo was looking to switch with Anaheim and add an asset, Verbeek said no, because he wanted to make sure he could secure Leo.

Plus, Fantilli preferred to be drafted by Columbus. So I think everything was meant to be.

If people are going to throw Leo under the bus just because he was not the so called consensus 2ndOA, I don't know what to say.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
I mean, both GM’s wanted Leo. Jarmo was looking to switch with Anaheim and add an asset, Verbeek said no, because he wanted to make sure he could secure Leo.

Plus, Fantilli preferred to be drafted by Columbus. So I think everything was meant to be.

If people are going to throw Leo under the bus just because he was not the so called consensus 2ndOA, I don't know what to say.

At the end of the day, I think both teams realized Fantilli is likely not long for the center position given his underlying stats and playstyle. CBJ might have been leaning more towards Leo as well due to that fact, but obviously nobody is gonna be disappointed with either.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

I hope that was the case and makes the pick better from a fans point of view. CBJ GM looks like a straight shooter from the video. He straight up said Bedard was #1, and they had Fantilli at #2 by a hair. So it sounds like we could have received an asset, but who knows… they could have gone with Leo at the last moment.

I do think Leo’s game has more skill upside and stylistically he looks like he will be able to play a very long time. I just like having more more Truculence as Burke would say.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If he gets 9 games I doubt he ever gets sent down. He is such a good complimentary player that I think he will be extremely successful even if his game needs a little seasoning. Elite transition stats and puck possession will make whatever line he is on way better.

I thought the nhl had an agreement with the SHL that didn’t allow them to move players back and forth between leagues during the year. As in if he plays in the nhl his only option would be the ahl if they wanted to send him down.

I think it's when a player is in the SHL, then he has to remain there until their season ends. It's kinda like the CHL, either the player stays in the NHL or goes back to the CHL. And once back in the CHL, then they cannot call the player up until after his season is over with, including the Mem Cup.

Lundy played in the AHL and NHL before being shipped back to his SHL team, Lulea. Once Lundy's SHL season was done, then he got called back to NA to finish his season with the Gulls in the playoffs.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I really don’t want to re-hash the Carlsson-Fantilli debate, and I wanted Fantilli.

No one will ever convince me that the Ducks was Fantilli’s preferred choice. And there is no way to judge his reaction if Verbeek wanted to bring him along slowly. Even more if he went back to Michigan.

I’d rather have a signed Carlsson than an unsigned Fantilli regardless of any consensus.

John

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
At the end of the day I dont really care that much about the 2nd asset. Id rather just go with who our scouts wanted. A 2nd round pick is unlikely to make up the value difference in the long run of 2 vs 3 so just pick who you think is best.
Not sure about that... with our misses on forwards I wouldn't have mind another dart at a big forwards like Wahlberg or Nelson, or added more big dmen like Strbak or Dvorak...

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I really don’t want to re-hash the Carlsson-Fantilli debate, and I wanted Fantilli.

No one will ever convince me that the Ducks was Fantilli’s preferred choice. And there is no way to judge his reaction if Verbeek wanted to bring him along slowly. Even more if he went back to Michigan.

I’d rather have a signed Carlsson than an unsigned Fantilli regardless of any consensus.

John

He admitted his first choice was the Bluejackets, but that was before the draft order was decided. I think the notion he wouldn't have signed here or would have been unhappy being drafted here is ludicrous though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad