Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Benoit-Olivier Groulx to extension (1 year, $775k, two-way)

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I guarantee you that Groulx will be the better player in 3 years (probably sooner) - for the simple reason Grant very likely won't be playing then. And that is really the only timeline that matters at this point.
You miss my point. My point is that BOG is very unlikely to have a better CAREER than a player such as Grant.

I have zero problems with re-signing him and not being back Grant. I just have very minuscule expectations for him at the same time. He’s fringe

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
That and we were forward driven between 2016-18 drafts. The 2018 really is scarce in top talents; most of it is in the top-15. Dostal can change things now that he'll be a regular at the NHL level.

I think when some evaluate Madden's success/failures at drafting forwards, the options available need to be taken into account. Very few NHL players came from 2018 and where the Ducks drafted, getting 3 players who could actually be NHL players is really successful for that draft.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
This is a no risk signing. Worst case, we lose him on waivers/send him to San Diego if Groulx can't cut it in the NHL. Best case, we have a bottom 6 C.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
You miss my point. My point is that BOG is very unlikely to have a better CAREER than a player such as Grant.

I have zero problems with re-signing him and not being back Grant. I just have very minuscule expectations for him at the same time. He’s fringe

Derek Grant didn't score a goal in his first 4 NHL seasons and has never eclipsed 30 points. He is the definition of a fringe player, with his FO ability being the one thing that probably allowed him to have an NHL career. He sets the bar very low for BOG. And from what I've seen, BOG brings far more grit and physicality than Grant, who is one of the softest 6'3" guys I've ever seen play.

And to be clear, I was responding not just to you but to others here who have a sentimental attachment to Grant. Time for the ducks to move on, be it with BOG or someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckRogers10

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Derek Grant didn't score a goal in his first 4 NHL seasons and has never eclipsed 30 points. He is the definition of a fringe player, with his FO ability being the one thing that probably allowed him to have an NHL career. He sets the bar very low for BOG. And from what I've seen, BOG brings far more grit and physicality than Grant, who is one of the softest 6'3" guys I've ever seen play.

And to be clear, I was responding not just to you but to others here who have a sentimental attachment to Grant. Time for the ducks to move on, be it with BOG or someone else.
Ok I would bet you that BOG doesn’t eclipse 30 points in his NHL career. The odds are probably against him there. Lundestrom, a higher end talent, hasn’t done that yet but there’s still some hope. Hope I’m wrong and you’re right

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I'm okay with moving on from Grant and seeing what BO's got. With that said, Grant is a more than serviceable player with the Ducks and can play 1C for a small spell without looking too much out of place. I actually don't know what I have in BO, though. Since he got sent down two seasons ago, it's been a rough ride for him. His offense is up, but that defense that he was known for hasn't surfaced last year with the Gulls... probably because he's playing a 1C position instead of shutdown 3C.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I'm okay with moving on from Grant and seeing what BO's got. With that said, Grant is a more than serviceable player with the Ducks and can play 1C for a small spell without looking too much out of place. I actually don't know what I have in BO, though. Since he got sent down two seasons ago, it's been a rough ride for him. His offense is up, but that defense that he was known for hasn't surfaced last year with the Gulls... probably because he's playing a 1C position instead of shutdown 3C.
I have gotten to the point of ignoring anything any player did with the Gulls last year. It was a lost year for everyone, which is too bad. I do not think that is what PV expected when he hired an interim coach, but that is what he got.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I have gotten to the point of ignoring anything any player did with the Gulls last year. It was a lost year for everyone, which is too bad. I do not think that is what PV expected when he hired an interim coach, but that is what he got.

The roster PV conjured down is San Diego is quite similar to the roster he compiled with the Ducks last year... both missing a lot of defense.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

No argument there, but i think the concern/question, and it's a legitimate one, is whether Bo will ever reach a level where he's a serviceable NHLer. I haven't seen anything that he's got that in him, whereas Grant has proven that over the years.]

I know this is a rough comparison but Grant eventually had some pretty big scoring years in the AHL where he was like over a PPG whereas Groulx hasn't done that at least yet. based on what he's done to date, i'd say it would be remarkably surprising if he became a better player than Grant but that can change if he has a solid season. i think you are describing a prospect of ours but it's Gaucher instead of Bo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad