GDT: Ducks @ Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
So with a questionable defense in front of him Gibson still managed a 90 save percentage. Dont think the situation with him is as dire as some people think. Either way. far too early to even be thinking about him not being a big game goalie in the NHL

DucksFanDFW

Sep 18, 2009
Ranger, TX
Hockey fights has the fight listed but no video yet... also it appears that Roussel fought Ott tonight. That one might be worth watching.

prettymutch

Apr 11, 2011
San Jose
Home from the game. I thought I'd provide some thoughts though I'm sure all of you have beaten me to that.

Nobody looked their best tonight. They were out of sync most of the time and couldn't hold on to the puck at all. From a fan perspective, it was infuriating. But what the hell. It's preseason, so sometimes players don't mesh. Marleau and Couture played, which gave the Sharks enough structure and support to outplay the Ducks' lineup from top to bottom.

I actually thought Gibson was the best player after he settled down. He didn't have much help out there and still made some good saves. I just like seeing the effort even through an uphill battle. Everyone was fairly invisible despite a few good hits.

Bring on the regular season. I'm so ready for the Getzalf-Kesler 1-2.

On a side note, I'd love this answered: Any word on if Stoner's clear over the boards should have counted as a delay of game penalty? It looked like it clear over the safe part. That really derailed the game.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Home from the game. I thought I'd provide some thoughts though I'm sure all of you have beaten me to that.

Nobody looked their best tonight. They were out of sync most of the time and couldn't hold on to the puck at all. From a fan perspective, it was infuriating. But what the hell. It's preseason, so sometimes players don't mesh. Marleau and Couture played, which gave the Sharks enough structure and support to outplay the Ducks' lineup from top to bottom.

I actually thought Gibson was the best player after he settled down. He didn't have much help out there and still made some good saves. I just like seeing the effort even through an uphill battle. Everyone was fairly invisible despite a few good hits.

On a side note, I'd love this answered: Any word on if Stoner's clear over the boards should have counted as a delay of game penalty? It looked like it clear over the safe part. That really derailed the game.
Thanks for the writeup. I was curious about Gibson. The radio guys were a little iffy about that penalty, but. The game wasn't televised, so you're all we've got.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
So with a questionable defense in front of him Gibson still managed a 90 save percentage. Dont think the situation with him is as dire as some people think. Either way. far too early to even be thinking about him not being a big game goalie in the NHL

It's too early to say anything about him. He's not close to being the next Patrick Roy yet and he's also not close to being the next Justin Pogge. Realistically he'll finish somewhere in the middle but you never know. 5 years from now we'll know. It's a long process especially for goalies. Andersen is just entering the time when goalies usually make it to the NHL and he's 4 years older than Gibson or something like that.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's too early to say anything about him. He's not close to being the next Patrick Roy yet and he's also not close to being the next Justin Pogge. Realistically he'll finish somewhere in the middle but you never know. 5 years from now we'll know. It's a long process especially for goalies. Andersen is just entering the time when goalies usually make it to the NHL and he's 4 years older than Gibson or something like that.

Fully agree.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

How was Gagne?

It would be a penalty if it cleared the high glass anywhere (even if it exited via the bench).

digginit

Feb 17, 2014
Final shot count:

ANA 17

SJS 33

I sure hope the staff is digging into the advanced stats to interpret what that means. We might keep tripping over our fenwick if we don't unlock the secrets.

prettymutch

Apr 11, 2011
San Jose
How was Gagne?

It would be a penalty if it cleared the high glass anywhere (even if it exited via the bench).

Ahh. I didn't hit on him, but I should have. He also looked good and was one of the highlights. The PP unit didn't look half bad, and he had some time on that. The D was moving the puck really well at times on the advantage (one of the few times that happened for any Duck). Overall, given the time he played, he looked solid out there. The assist and +1 doesn't look half bad either. All of it is relative, though. He looked pretty good during a game in which we were mostly getting run over.

I think he has surprised a few of us with his play. He really wasn't on my radar before the prospects game, and my gut tells me there's something there with his development.

digginit

Feb 17, 2014
... The D was moving the puck really well at times on the advantage (one of the few times that happened for any Duck)...

Nothing against anything you're saying here, as I appreciate your reports from what you saw.

This just reminded me that I believe the number one reason our PP was mostly impotent last year was because there was so little threat of our PP dmen actually putting good pressure directly on net and creating chances. The PKers can slough off them a little bit more and have a tighter box to clog up the forwards better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad