Ducks select first Russian born skater since 2001

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yesterday the Ducks used their 129th overall pick to select Russian forward Artyom Galimov, the reigning KHL rookie of the year.

Galimov is the first Russian skater drafted by the Ducks since they selected Stanislav Chistov and Vladimir Korsunov back in 2001. During that span they drafted one Russian goalie, Igor Bobkov in 2009.

Needless to say that the Galimov choice broke a long drought that was starting to look like more than just a coincidence.

Are there other teams with a similar trend of avoiding a particular major hockey nation in the draft?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yesterday the Ducks used their 129th overall pick to select Russian forward Artyom Galimov, the reigning KHL rookie of the year.

Galimov is the first Russian skater drafted by the Ducks since they selected Stanislav Chistov and Vladimir Korsunov back in 2001. During that span they drafted one Russian goalie, Igor Bobkov in 2009.

Needless to say that the Galimov choice broke a long drought that was starting to look like more than just a coincidence.

Are there other teams with a similar trend of avoiding a particular major hockey nation in the draft?

Flames were like this for a while with Russians. I think Rafikov was our only Russian drafted for like a decade or something and few Russians were drafted after him. It seems Treliving has been trying to get rid of this pattern for the last two drafts or so though.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
It's funny because I remember that draft. Chistov must have really left a mark for the entire country to be blacklisted almost twenty years.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
don't think the Canucks drafted a Russian in the Gillis era. Thinking it was Shirokov (06) to Tryamkin (14). Might be missing someone.

Unfortunately missed; Orlov 2009 (drafted Anton Rodin), Kuznetsov 2010 (traded the pick for Ballard), and Kucherov 2011 (drafted Nicklas Jensen).

At that time the "Russian factor" was still legitimately a thing. But the Kuznetsov pick especially stands out, the very next pick (VAN 25 - WSH 26), I remember someone saying they liked Jarred Tinordi who went to MTL at #22, and the rumour was they we're waiting to see if the guy if they liked was available prior to pulling the trigger.

Kuznetsov was the kind of young player Gillis desperately needed around the time he was fired in 13-14.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Title confused me.

Have there been no other skaters who are Russian-born since 2001? Or, did the Ducks select the earliest-born Russian skater since 2001? Or, is there perhaps something missing from the end of the sentence explaining the significance of 2001?

English is funny.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Huh, and I thought it was only the Sens. Congrats to us both for getting with the times I guess.

Im still not sure the Sens will be drafting many players out of the KHL/MHL anytime soon though. And I can understand their reasoning why, being a small market team that relies heavily on drafting and development to fill out their roster, they simply cant afford to be wasting picks on players that may never leave Russia. At least not before their draft rights expire and they can negotiate as a FA,

And then the act of convincing them to play in the AHL if needed is another hard sell when they've got the leverage of the KHL to fall back on. So there truly is some extra baggage that needs to be considered first . At least for a team like Ottawa anyways.

Having said that, the Sens are not shy in any way (as of recently) to sign Russians who are committed to the NHL. Zaitsev, Zub (KHL free agent), Abramov, Namesnikov (traded at TDL), and now Sokolov were added to the organization with open arms. And this fan at least is thrilled to se it. There was a day when we were able to sign premier Russian FAs like Kovalev and Gonchar, as long ago as it feels like now.

Reactions: Leaves34

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Title confused me.

Have there been no other skaters who are Russian-born since 2001? Or, did the Ducks select the earliest-born Russian skater since 2001? Or, is there perhaps something missing from the end of the sentence explaining the significance of 2001?

English is funny.
Ducks havent selected a russian born skater since 2001, and that no-russian drought was broken at this years draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad