Proposal: Ducks / Sabres

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Using that pick to speed up the rebuild makes sense, but Anaheim might not be the best partner with them trying to contend. Also, we'd have to sign both Risto and Lindholm to a hefty raise and lose the ELC years of a prime talent, which seems vital for perennial contenders. Frankly, I liked the 1st for Hanifin idea better.

Solving the "Risto partner" issue is the most important use of that pick. Solving with a guy just about to enter his prime (with Risto), is as ideal as it gets. Having a 25 minute, all situations, top tier pair of 22 year olds... as long as Risto can live with being paired with a Swede, I'm all over this deal.

**** value. Build a Contender.

Lindholm can't play on the same pair; Risto would be trying to crosscheck him every other shift #Swedes :sarcasm:

Seriously now, is that an actual thing? I always thought Scandinavians were pretty loyal towards each other :laugh:

Interesting name out of Anahiem is Shea Theodore.

Kids pretty solid
Agreed, but they seem to value him at Reinhart territory, which would be way to rich for my blood.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I threw Lindholm for our first up on the trade board to field Ducks fans' thoughts on it.

I think it's fair to say that their reaction is complete non-interest, verging on frustration.

And that's the version of the deal where the Duck don't send us back their pick. The version proposed in this thread is just DOA.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I think it's fair to say that their reaction is complete non-interest, verging on frustration.

And that's the version of the deal where the Duck don't send us back their pick. The version proposed in this thread is just DOA.

Yeah, I figured there'd be no way the offer in this thread would work.

It's unlikely that the Ducks move Lindholm at any juncture. That said, I don't think Bob Murray would simply dismiss the idea of trading Lindholm for a top-three pick -- if he's really having a hard time getting Hampus signed -- the way Ducks fans are.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I do it all day long, I love Lindholm. I don't see Anaheim pulling the trigger, though.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The thing that nobody really knows is how the contract talks with Lindholm's agent will go between now and the draft.

Also, what happens with Vatanen and Andersen, as well.

Those are their 3 key RFAs this summer.

I would be stunned if the Ducks move Lindholm at this point. But, crazier things have happened when a team and a player get ticked off over contract talks.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Lindholm is really good but I am not giving up my very legitimate shot at getting Matthews, Laine, or Pulju for him. You get to the draft and are picking 4th, then we can consider it.

good insight. Was curious as to what time frame seems appropriate.

Anaheim wouldn't do this. Lindholm for Buffalo's 2016 first straight up seems like it would be more likely.

I wonder what the main board consensus would be.

Ok, let's look at straight up, at 4 for example, is it a good trade?

Kept it Sabres internal to gauge our fans and avoid conflict on the conversation.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If you end up with a top three pick, you will be kicking yourself. Lindholm is not on par with those players.

How do you know that? Did you poll NHL Scouts for a consensus?

And contrary to what is being said, elite forward is just as much of a need as LD.

Wrong. hilariously wrong

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
good insight. Was curious as to what time frame seems appropriate.

Ok, let's look at straight up, at 4 for example, is it a good trade?

Kept it Sabres internal to gauge our fans and avoid conflict on the conversation.

The consensus from Ducks fans seems to be that if Lindholm, who is unlikely to be moved, is traded, it won't be for "potential." There just isn't much incentive for them to move him apparently (though I think Bob Murray would disagree).

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
How do you know that? Did you poll NHL Scouts for a consensus?

Wrong. hilariously wrong

It's my opinion. But if you can find the opinion of a pool of scouts who's job it is to have unbiased judgment of this years draft crop against Lindholm, it would be pretty dumb not to consider it.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Not easily, because Trouba and Reilly exist, but it's those three, and then a big gap down to Forsberg/Maata/Galch/Girgensons.

Also, for an idea of how good Lidholm is, think about how overrated Fowler is by Ducks fans, and then realize Lindholm was better as a sophomore than any Fowler season.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Not easily, because Trouba and Reilly exist, but it's those three, and then a big gap down to Forsberg/Maata/Galch/Girgensons.

:laugh: you are being fun today. Trouba away from Big Buff... i mean, Mark Stuart's not doing anyone any favors... but.

I'd go:
Lindholm
Forsberg
Trouba
Reilly
Galch

Also, for an idea of how good Lidholm is, think about how overrated Fowler is by Ducks fans, and then realize Lindholm was better as a sophomore than any Fowler season.

It suprises me how little Anaheim fans recognized how big of a stabilizing impact Ben Lovejoy had on Fowler's performance/development. Fowler has been straight up bad since that trade. And Lovejoy is over in Pitt doing the same thing for Doumolin.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
So, what's our boards consensus say if we end up 3rd/4th over all?
If your GMTM and GMBM is still trying to sign this kid, do you at the draft offer your 1st rd pick for him?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
So, what's our boards consensus say if we end up 3rd/4th over all?
If your GMTM and GMBM is still trying to sign this kid, do you at the draft offer your 1st rd pick for him?

It looks like the Sabres board consensus is YES
And the Anaheim boards consensus is NO

Both fan bases appropriately value proven top young NHL talent over high end prospects

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
It looks like the Sabres board consensus is YES
And the Anaheim boards consensus is NO

Both fan bases appropriately value proven top young NHL talent over high end prospects
/end .. this is like someone offering a lottery pick for Risto; we'd just :laugh: and say no thanks, we're good.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
/end .. this is like someone offering a lottery pick for Risto; we'd just :laugh: and say no thanks, we're good.

But that's because we have nothing behind Risto. They have Vatanen, Fowler, Theodore... If we had good young depth behind Risto like that, and were offered Matthews, Laine or Poolparty for him, I'd give it considerable thought.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
D is paramount. Whatever it takes to create an annual contender, ala Chicago.

Murray does, however, need to solve the 'Eichel winger issue' this offseason. Unless he thinks time passing will solve that automatically, or he flips Reinhart and Eichel.

What is this??? Where did it come from? Why is it a thing people say?

I believe Eichel is a franchise player, franchise players don't have winger issues.

Coaches can do really dumb stuff... but that doesn't mean we have an Eichel winger issue. It just means Disco is a clown and it took him half a season to figure out what a lot of us knew from day 1.

Eichel w/ Girgensons
GF 3.43
GA 1.47

Everyone besides Bylsma knew that Kane-Eichel was a poor fit.

Eichel w/ Kane
GF 1.10

Everyone knows that Ennis is going to end up back with Eichel at some point as well.
GA 2.86, and we will re-evaluate that option

And Reinhart has shown flashes with Eichel in their limited opportunities together as well.

There is no "eichel winger issue", there was a Bylsma issue. Eichel is on pace for a 55 point teenage season. Relax.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Seriously now, is that an actual thing? I always thought Scandinavians were pretty loyal towards each other :laugh:

Aside from Swedes and Finns being fierce rivals in hockey; there's historical bad blood due to their Imperial past.

And I'm not really sure all/most Finns would consider themselves Scandinavian. Nordic yes.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Worst draft in the past, what, 15 years? He's not cracking the top 5 in a lot of drafts.

In a re-draft, he's cracking the top 5 on a lot of the last 10 reasonably measurable drafts if we are re-drafting today. Looking at just a re-draft of the 1st round (cut off)

04 - Ovechkin, Malkin, Wheeler, Lindhom (Ladd, Schneider, Zajac)
05 - Crosby, Price, Kopitar, Lindholm (Ryan, Oshie)
06 - Toews, Backstrom, Giroux, Lindholm (Kessel, E.Johnson, Brassard, J.Staal)
07 - Kane, JVR, Voracek, Couture, McDonagh, Max Pac, Lindholm (Shattenkirk)
08 - Stamkos, Doughty, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Carlson , Lindholm (Myers, Ennis)
09 - Tavares, Hedman, OEL, Lindholm (Duchene, Kreider, Johansson)
10 - Hall, Seguin, Tarasenko, Johansen, Fowler, Lindholm (Kuznetsov, Pysyk, Njugstad)
11 - Lindholm (RNH, Landeskog, Brodin)
12 - Lindholm (Forsberg, Rielly, Trouba, Galchenyuk)
13 - Mackinnon ,Risto, Barkov, Jones, Lindholm ( Domi, Monahan, etc)

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
Wrong. hilariously wrong

I don't agree with stokes often but I think he's right on this one. Finding a power forward or play maker to play with Jack is as big of a hole as finding a partner for Risto to me. Until Jack's line consistently provides ES offense that isn't just Jack putting the line on his shoulders this team is going nowhere.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't agree with stokes often but I think he's right on this one. Finding a power forward or play maker to play with Jack is as big of a hole as finding a partner for Risto to me. Until Jack's line consistently provides ES offense that isn't just Jack putting the line on his shoulders this team is going nowhere.

Eichel w/ Girgensons
GF 3.43
GA 1.47

/end

It's really simple. We have multiple current solutions for Eichel's wing in Girgs or Reinhart or Ennis or Foligno and on. We have NO current or even hopeful solution for Risto. Playing them up as equal holes is embarrassing if you're a Sabres fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad