Proposal: Ducks / Sabres

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I wouldn't do it unless the pick drops below 5th/6th overall.

Reasons:
A. Draft is in Buffalo
B. The top part of this draft likely equals or eclipses Lindholm in impact for the team.
C. I straight up trade 10th overall for him however

Trade McGinn & a 3rd for a 1st
Then trade that 1st, our 2nd, our 3rd, and MIN's 2nd next year for him if he's causing them financial trouble.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I wouldn't do it unless the pick drops below 5th/6th overall.

Reasons:
A. Draft is in Buffalo
B. The top part of this draft likely equals or eclipses Lindholm in impact for the team.
C. I straight up trade 10th overall for him however

Trade McGinn & a 3rd for a 1st
Then trade that 1st, our 2nd, our 3rd, and MIN's 2nd next year for him if he's causing them financial trouble.

That shouldn't make any difference. Murray announcing Buffalo receiving Lindholm on draft day would be far more exciting than announcing a draft pick.

As for the other two, B is questionable and C makes no difference since Anaheim laughs at you.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
If you end up with a top three pick, you will be kicking yourself. Lindholm is not on par with those players. And contrary to what is being said, elite forward is just as much of a need as LD.

I agree. The only way I do is trade is if the pick is top 3 protected. Tim Murray just said himself that the top 3 players in this draft are exceptional talents. It sounded like he felt that this year's top 3 were all very special players. He said it's better than the top of the 2014 draft too.
I feel like Matthews and the Finns all have super star potential. Buffalo needs goal scorers just as bad as they need a LHD with top pair potential, if not worse. No way I'd want to give up one of those 3 players for Lindholm.

I'd love to have Lindholm and I'd give our 1st straight up as long as it was top 3 protected.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I would do this lottery protected. Lindholm is exactly who we need. We can get wingers other ways.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I think it's fair to say that their reaction is complete non-interest, verging on frustration.

And that's the version of the deal where the Duck don't send us back their pick. The version proposed in this thread is just DOA.

The Ducks fans seem to LOVE their own players. They sure value them like that anyway... cause it seems like they have balked at pretty much every Sabres-Ducks trade I have ever seen proposed by someone on the main board (granted I haven't been around all that long).

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Just for fun; I realize this never happens, but this is a message board....

Anaheim situation assumptions:
- Bob Murray and the Ducks do an internal cap analysis and determine that they need to move an upcoming or current big contract. Since they are deep on defense both in the NHL and in the pipeline, they decide to move a defenseman.
- Bieksa has a NTC and then a NMC, leaving him out. Fowler and Despres have big contracts, Lindholm and Vatanen are upcoming RFAs.

Tim Murray makes the following moves at the trade deadline:
- Trade McGinn to a Western team (not SJ) looking to stack up for the playoffs. He gets a late second rounder.
- Ennis comes back healthy, and Murray sends him to Washington for their 1st rounder plus some 2017 picks. Washington has the cap space, and it's a go-for-broke Cup move (note: doesn't need to be Washington, just a legit contender with cap space).
- Murray trades Weber and Colaiacovo for picks.

Buffalo finishes with the 4th overall pick.

Off-season:
- Tim calls Bob about his situation. Tim's getting one of Puljujarvi, Laine, or Tkachuk. Bob knows he needs to move a defenseman to free cap space, and would like to add a high end forward, as Perry and Getzlaf are 30 - still not old but it's time to get someone else besides Ritchie going ahead as future forwards.
- Tim won't trade the top pick unless Fowler or Lindholm are coming back. Fowler is cost controlled for a few years, along with Theodore. For the 4th overall pick, the settle on Lindholm.
- Both want to open up the trade beyond that deal. Bob wants salary going to Buffalo. Tim wants a first rounder to get back into play around the middle of the draft.

To Anaheim:
- 1st round pick, 2016, 4th overall (BUF)
- 1st round pick, 2017 (BUF)
- 1st round pick, 2016 (WSH)
- Connor Hurley C

To Buffalo:
- Hampus Lindholm D
- Jakob Silfverberg RW
- 1st round pick, 2016 (ANA)

Anaheim picks Tkachuk/Puljujarvi/Laine and still has a late first. Buffalo gets a mid-first and has ammunition to trade up (2 second rounders in 2016) if Juolevi or Sergachev fall.

Dream mode off.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I think the typical HF way of overvaluing picks and prospects is taking root with a few people in this thread. Either that or they don't recognize how good Lindholm actually is.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I think the typical HF way of overvaluing picks and prospects is taking root with a few people in this thread. Either that or they don't recognize how good Lindholm actually is.

The latter may very well be true given that the Ducks are a West Coast team that folks here probably don't watch as often.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Aside from Swedes and Finns being fierce rivals in hockey; there's historical bad blood due to their Imperial past.

And I'm not really sure all/most Finns would consider themselves Scandinavian. Nordic yes.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad