News Article: Ducks' Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry to fund kids' hockey program

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Ducks' Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry to fund kids' hockey program

When Ducks forwards Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry agreed to buy equipment for first-time hockey players ages 4 to 10 who will participate in the team’s Learn to Play program, they knew they might have to hand over a sizable check at the end of this season.

“Could be,†Getzlaf said Wednesday, “and we’ll be happy to write it. If we have to write a big check that means there’s a lot of kids out there playing hockey, so that’s our ultimate goal.â€

Getzlaf and Perry, linemates and friends who began their careers with the Ducks and each signed an eight-year contract extension last season, get marquee billing in the newly renamed program, Anaheim Ducks Learn to Play powered by Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. It had previously been known as Learn to Play.

1600 kids last year, more expected this year.

Good for them :handclap:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I remember reading about this on twitter. It put a smile on my face for sure. Good guys. It isn't Perry's only charity work either...doesn't he run a golf tournament every year for charity? And he does a lot of work with the London Knights and the development of their players.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Full sets of gear x1600 kids. Thats a lot of cash.

I guess it depends on the quality of gear. If its $500 per person then thats $800,000. Wow.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Full sets of gear x1600 kids. Thats a lot of cash.

I guess it depends on the quality of gear. If its $500 per person then thats $800,000. Wow.

If I were guessing, I'd expect it to be closer to about half of that. Buying it in bulk + beginner level quality. I'm obviously not trying to dismiss what they are doing. That's 1600 kids who can play hockey now because of them. Perhaps more, this year.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
very cool, and i have really learned over the years how great of guys getz/perry are...i would hope some of their sponsor's would jump in on this as well (not that they need it)

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
80,000 is chump the change to a boss.

800 not 80. Thats 10% of their salary before taxes/agents.

If I were guessing, I'd expect it to be closer to about half of that. Buying it in bulk + beginner level quality. I'm obviously not trying to dismiss what they are doing. That's 1600 kids who can play hockey now because of them. Perhaps more, this year.

Hopefully it grows a ton this year.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Yep, they don't give a **** about Anaheim, those ******** going to hit FA as soon as they can.

But seriously, this is cool to see when star players are wanting to help grow hockey in SoCal.

Ducksgo*

Just glad to see SoCal kids finally having a chance for fun, "free of charge" in our sport that we all passionately share in our forum. Good Job Getz and Perry very nice of you. Some of these kids that attend will do good things. From just meeting new friends to WHL, OHL, hell even a full scholarship for college that their parents couldn't ever dream of. Glad to see it maybe we will draft one of these kids and he will tell about the story attending camp and given free equipment and excelled in the sport. We all know SoCal has talent we just need a chance to prosper. Very nice of you Getz and Perry the fans appreciate it. Thank you for looking out for our community.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I wonder if Teemu will help out with this...

He don`t earn as much as G&P these days, i doubt it. Uness he sells one of his cars :laugh:

But, seriously, this is a fantastic move by those two. At least we know that a part of our cap hit goes to a good cause :naughty:

In all seriousness, a lot of respect to Getz and Pears!

douglast5

PS3 GMC Comish
Sep 14, 2012
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
the 1600 that was posted from last year, was that all first time hockey players?

I would expect alot more people to be interested this year if they knew that their equipment will be covered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad