Confirmed with Link: Ducks re-sign Lukas Dostal (2 years, $812.5k AAV, two-way in year 1)

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Simply not sign anyone else. See if at least one of Clang/Alexander can provide adequate goaltending at that level. Only bring in another veteran when an injury occurs or those two prove to not be able to give that team a chance to win too many nights.
Yeah - this is Dostal's sixth year as a pro already, he doesn't or shouldn't need any more veteran protection from a backup's role at minimum, and playing consistently in the AHL is what guys like Clang and Alexander should be doing.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Man what a deal this is. I don't know that we should read too much into the first year being a two-way deal other than it provides another layer of flexibility. Honestly, I think it says more about our (low) chance of moving Gibson than anything else.

Was just thinking this. With the flexibility and maybe want to season Dostal a little, I don’t see Gibson going anywhere, till Dostal can take the starting role.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Yeah - this is Dostal's sixth year as a pro already, he doesn't or shouldn't need any more veteran protection from a backup's role at minimum, and playing consistently in the AHL is what guys like Clang and Alexander should be doing.
I totally agree with everything you said. Signing a veteran goalie would not be meant as protection for the play of those goalies, it would be protection against injury of any of those goalies. Yes, you can acquire one in the middle of the season through trade or waivers, but my personal preference would be to prepare for something bad happening rather than hope someone competent is available at the time we need them.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I totally agree with everything you said. Signing a veteran goalie would not be meant as protection for the play of those goalies, it would be protection against injury of any of those goalies. Yes, you can acquire one in the middle of the season through trade or waivers, but my personal preference would be to prepare for something bad happening rather than hope someone competent is available at the time we need them.
I get the sentiment but any goalie you sign now isn't going to be the kind of guy you stash out of the way in Tulsa until needed. What we need is just a bag of meat that can be an AHL backup in a pinch in case one of the prospects or Gibson gets injured, and it's easy enough to get one of those during the year. Add to the bottom of the goalie depth chart, in other words.

Reactions: Vipers31

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I admittedly dont know a whole lot about AHL contract but looking at the other minors salaries, $325k looks to be pretty substantial. If I'm reading this right, I think this says a lot about how the Org feels about Dostals future here.

All other top prospects are making no more than $82.5k in the minors.

This seems to be a "Bare with us while we figure out Gibsons situation, we see you as our future but while we transition, we may need your help in SD too."

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I admittedly dont know a whole lot about AHL contract but looking at the other minors salaries, $325k looks to be pretty substantial. If I'm reading this right, I think this says a lot about how the Org feels about Dostals future here.

All other top prospects are making no more than $82.5k in the minors.

This seems to be a "Bare with us while we figure out Gibsons situation, we see you as our future but while we transition, we may need your help in SD too."
If you’re on an ELC, your AHL salary is pretty limited. It would be more accurate to compare Dostal’s salary to those who are past their first contract.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
If you’re on an ELC, your AHL salary is pretty limited. It would be more accurate to compare Dostal’s salary to those who are past their first contract.
ah ok makes sense. Didnt realize the AHL salaries were limited too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad