Confirmed with Link: Ducks re-sign Lukas Dostal (2 years, $812.5k AAV, two-way in year 1)

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.25M-$1.5M would be my guess.

EDIT: Also interesting to note that they have it as a 2-way for this season and a 1-way for next. Feels like we're probably adding another goaltender if that's the case.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.25M-$1.5M would be my guess.

EDIT: Also interesting to note that they have it as a 2-way for this season and a 1-way for next. Feels like we're probably adding another goaltender if that's the case.
We don't really have another choice but to add another goalie. The alternative is we're an injury away from Clang or Alexander being in the NHL and I don't think anyone wants that. Any of Elliott, Stalock, Dell, Hutchinson, Halak, Jones, or Kinkaid could fit in this role and are still looking for a home.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Seems the plan is to give him some more time in SD, then full time in the NHL the following season. Think it’s a good plan. Dostal is the Ducks future.

Expect them to sign a Vet goalie soon.

Or at least this contract provides flexibility. This way they can make him actually compete for the back up job, rather than head to camp knowing it's his.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Or at least this contract provides flexibility. This way they can make him actually compete for the back up job, rather than head to camp knowing it's his.

He’s also waiver exempt through next year, which was my assumption given the way the deal lined up. He can ride the shuttle on the 5 without consequence

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
We don't really have another choice but to add another goalie. The alternative is we're an injury away from Clang or Alexander being in the NHL and I don't think anyone wants that. Any of Elliott, Stalock, Dell, Hutchinson, Halak, Jones, or Kinkaid could fit in this role and are still looking for a home.
David Ayres is still available. Think I might lean toward him over those names. :D

Reactions: Kalv

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
We have to be adding a veteran goalie right?

How do you go into a season with Alexander and Clang as the first call up?
Them being emergency call-ups isn’t actually a problem, IMO. If it’s a longer situation, it’s very easy to address via waivers or through trades for guys recently clearing waivers. But you don’t want another guy taking time away from those two guys in the A, and can’t generally afford to carry a third goalie on the roster for an extended amount of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducks DVM

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Them being emergency call-ups isn’t actually a problem, IMO. If it’s a longer situation, it’s very easy to address via waivers or through trades for guys recently clearing waivers. But you don’t want another guy taking time away from those two guys in the A, and can’t generally afford to carry a third goalie on the roster for an extended won’ amount.
They’ve played a combined 21 games in the AHL, they aren’t ready to be given the reigns to sink or swim down there yet, one could easily start in Tulsa

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
They’ve played a combined 21 games in the AHL, they aren’t ready to be given the reigns to sink or swim down there yet, one could easily start in Tulsa
The ECHL is a terrible developmental league, especially for goalies. Should have never brought Clang over if that was a remote possibility.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
The ECHL is a terrible developmental league, especially for goalies. Should have never brought Clang over if that was a remote possibility.
So what’s your solution? Wait until Alexander’s contract is up to bring him to NA?

I’d also be shocked if Clang ever sees the ECHL. If one of them goes, it would likely be Alexander, as my guess is that they see him more just as organizational depth.

EDIT: I should clarify that I don’t think having a Clang and Alexander as your 3rd and 4th string goalies is feasible. It has become a trend in recent years to have a reliable #3 that can be counted on to play NHL games. Some teams have even carried 3 goalies on their NHL roster through long stretches. So with that in mind, I would be very surprised if our plans don’t include adding a goalie.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I agree, we sign a goalie to compete with Dostal for the back up job and/or fill a third role. Whoever winds up in SD splits time with Clang (60/40 if Dostal and 50/50 otherwise). Alexander can play full time in Tulsa and get some AHL games when needed.

Or instead of signing one off the pile now, you wait until the waiver wire fills up during camp, and snag the most intriguing youngish goalie.

For a signing I still like Dylan Ferguson, would rather him than one of the older depth guys Dylan Ferguson at eliteprospects.com

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Man what a deal this is. I don't know that we should read too much into the first year being a two-way deal other than it provides another layer of flexibility. Honestly, I think it says more about our (low) chance of moving Gibson than anything else.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Sounds like the plan is for Gibby to up his trade value next year and give PV some reasonable offers to consider. An improved Gibby with only 3 years left is much more appealing to teams than the current situation.

Reactions: Yemeth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad