Confirmed with Link: Ducks re-sign Jamie Drysdale (3 years, $2.3M AAV)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I was thinking two years at something like 2.5 or 2.75, hard not to like this news.

Gotta give props again to Friedman, said things were getting closer and there was progress, and next day he signs. Same thing happened with Z.

It seems like he has a source in Anaheim that he didn't have until Verbeek was hired. Not saying it's PV himself, but Friedman clearly has a closer handle on the Ducks dealings than he did when BM was in charge.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Pretty happy with this. I really like the 3 yr/bridge type deals. I'd much rather overpay a bit in a big contract season to an accomplished player, than give out boatloads of cash to a young guy that hasn't earned/proved it yet. Hope this sets a precedent and puts some of the control back in the hands of the owners/teams. Players have been getting too much control the last few years.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
That’s a great deal for us. As others have noted may become a problem in 3 years but if so it’ll be a good problem to have.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The thing that Drysdale’s agent should have realized, or was unrealistically hoping for, was no other NHL team saw his value worth the retribution and bridge burning to tend him an offer.

There was no knight in shining armor coming to rescue Jamie with a $3m+ offer.

I think most people believe Drysdale is worth a lot more, even not playing last year, than a 2nd round pick. If JD was considered a can’t miss top 4, it is hard to imagine some GM not breaking the unwritten rule for just a 2nd round pick.

John

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The thing that Drysdale’s agent should have realized, or was unrealistically hoping for, was no other NHL team saw his value worth the retribution and bridge burning to tend him an offer.

There was no knight in shining armor coming to rescue Jamie with a $3m+ offer.

I think most people believe Drysdale is worth a lot more, even not playing last year, than a 2nd round pick. If JD was considered a can’t miss top 4, it is hard to imagine some GM not breaking the unwritten rule for just a 2nd round pick.

John
Pretty sure you can’t offer sheet an RFA unless they are group 2, which he is not. He couldn’t negotiate offer sheets.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's a bit confusing, but a group 2 RFA is based on service time and since Drysdale didn't play enough games last year he does not qualify for a group 2 RFA. So he isn't eligible for arbitration or offersheats.

He really had no leverage at all.
Plus given how the ducks grinded Ryan and Ritchie in the past and locked up Terry for 3 years when they had leverage the agent had to be aware that he wasn’t going to get away from the 3 year term. All he could do is get the best AAV and cash for his client.

But signing this late hurt both sides as now JD is behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad