Ducks next captain…

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
McT, Zegras, Gudas are my guesses for next C. I can see Terry and Killer being in the mix. I don't think anyone they sign is in the running (ie Stamkos). Vatrano, I love the dude but he strikes me as a "just let him play" type guy.

Actually, now that I say that about Vatrano, put Terry in that category too. I think certain guys do better when they don't have anything other than playing on their mind. Terry already has a tendency to do too much, and I fear if you throw a C on his chest, that trend might continue trying to show he's earning it or deserves it.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Verbeek loves going back on his words. He wanted to reserve the C for a youth two years ago. And now, if he goes and gives it to a non-youth, then it follows suit that Verbeek just loves throwing idea darts all over the place.

I don't think any youth has earned the C. I do love Gudas getting the C, though.

Reactions: MCB

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Verbeek loves going back on his words. He wanted to reserve the C for a youth two years ago. And now, if he goes and gives it to a non-youth, then it follows suit that Verbeek just loves throwing idea darts all over the place.

I don't think any youth has earned the C. I do love Gudas getting the C, though.
Its gonna be either Killhorn or Gudas.. Maybe even Fowler.. Allthough I hope not

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
While i think at this stage Z is clearly the heart and leader of the team, i'm still not convinced he or any of the other young guys are ready for it. If we have to have one hopefully it's a vet to let the kids continue to grow into that role.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Tokioduck

May 31, 2007
I hope they give it to Z - not because he has shown the C material, but I truly believe this team would be over the top if Zegras can play and act like a captain.

I think Zegras would take it personally and and respond with to it, just like young Getzlaf did when he was a bit immature. I also think the teammates would stand up for Zegras. I agree however that it is more likely they give it to the other guys.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I dunno if giving Z the C is helpful. I like that Z's emotional and if we give him the C, then it bring along a different type of game that Z isn't designed for doing. Example, I can't ever see Perry being captain b/c we all love the way Perry plays - the agitator, get as close to the line or sometimes cross the line type of player. Getz gets to look like Batman while Perry plays Two-face. I don't want to stifle Z's game by hampering him with the C.

DuckTech

In vino veritas
Jul 7, 2011
Rural Orange County
This situation reminds me a bit when Scotty retired and if I remember the story correctly the team put the "C" to a vote and it came down to a tie between Getzy and Koivu. Koivu eventually said it was better for the team to have Getzy as the captain and that he would help mentor him for the position.

The only difference was Getzy already had an "A" by this point in time. Makes me think that they won't slap the "C" on one of the younger kids,. If management doean't listen to the team (something I believe they should not do) then my money is on Alex Killorn as the next Captain here.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Verbeek did talk about Zegras quite a bit for The Beeker, about how he has a lot of work still left to become what they want him to become. I feel like if he adds more defense along with what he already has, what more is there unless it was alluding to possible leadership? He's never going to become a physical player. Just something that I thought of when I listened to it.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This situation reminds me a bit when Scotty retired and if I remember the story correctly the team put the "C" to a vote and it came down to a tie between Getzy and Koivu. Koivu eventually said it was better for the team to have Getzy as the captain and that he would help mentor him for the position.

The only difference was Getzy already had an "A" by this point in time. Makes me think that they won't slap the "C" on one of the younger kids,. If management doean't listen to the team (something I believe they should not do) then my money is on Alex Killorn as the next Captain here.

2023-24 Team Captains.png

Welp, there's two youths who wore the A this past season in Mac and Terry. I still don't think any of the youths have stepped up, but I dunno if Gudas or Killorn would pass up on the C like Koivu did.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
C - Gudas
A - Killorn
A - McT
A - Marchessault (I'm banking on this signing)
A - Zegras

I really want to see Z get an A. Getzlaf needed a lot of maturing when he was given a letter and I view Z in the same light.

I dont want to see Terry or Fowler with a letter. They are not the right personalities for the position and that is totally okay. Stop trying to force them into a situation they are not equip to handle. Terry is going to be 27 next season. it isnt like he is a kid learning how to play in the NHL.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I hope they give it to Z - not because he has shown the C material, but I truly believe this team would be over the top if Zegras can play and act like a captain.

I think Zegras would take it personally and and respond with to it, just like young Getzlaf did when he was a bit immature. I also think the teammates would stand up for Zegras. I agree however that it is more likely they give it to the other guys.
I agree 100%

Reactions: Son of Gib

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
C - Gudas
A - Killorn
A - McT
A - Marchessault (I'm banking on this signing)
A - Zegras

I really want to see Z get an A. Getzlaf needed a lot of maturing when he was given a letter and I view Z in the same light.

I dont want to see Terry or Fowler with a letter. They are not the right personalities for the position and that is totally okay. Stop trying to force them into a situation they are not equip to handle. Terry is going to be 27 next season. it isnt like he is a kid learning how to play in the NHL.
Agree hard no on Terry or fowler with a letter.

Reactions: Daz28

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
I'd be fine with gudas getting it temporarily and then handing it off to Z, last year I was dead set on McT eventually getting it but zegras just seems correct (I have no idea why)

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I'd be fine with gudas getting it temporarily and then handing it off to Z, last year I was dead set on McT eventually getting it but zegras just seems correct (I have no idea why)

I think its because McT is the strong silent type and Z is more outgoing. I think people naturally gravitate towards the more vocal/bigger personality types.

We dont know the behind the scenes stuff. Who is a voice or leader or mentor in the locker room. Who guys look to.

I hope they do a vote of the players, but I also hope the front office/coaches are giving input too.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don’t think players should get a C without wearing an A first. Some players just aren’t as good with that letter (Pronger comes to mind, and we don’t have a Pronger level personality on this team).

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Well, I was on the Gudas train long before most. I'm still supporting him. It's way more logical than to force a young guy who isn't ready to step in now. In two years, when his contract is up, we hopefully have somebody ready to step in.

Reactions: Yemeth

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think its because McT is the strong silent type and Z is more outgoing. I think people naturally gravitate towards the more vocal/bigger personality types.

We dont know the behind the scenes stuff. Who is a voice or leader or mentor in the locker room. Who guys look to.

I hope they do a vote of the players, but I also hope the front office/coaches are giving input too.
Yeah, McT is more like a Niedermayer in that he's strategic and not overly vocal.
Zegras is more like Selanne, he's a media guy and Selanne was only briefly a captain in his career and they passed on giving Selanne the C in favor of Niedermayer and then pass on Selanne again for Getzlaf.
I'd rather they keep waiting for the right C to stand out, Cutter for all we know could emerge as a leader and if they win the lottery, who knows maybe its Celebrini.

View attachment 859996

Welp, there's two youths who wore the A this past season in Mac and Terry. I still don't think any of the youths have stepped up, but I dunno if Gudas or Killorn would pass up on the C like Koivu did.
Interesting how they've given McTavish an "A" already and he was drafted 2 years after Zegras.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad