Ducks hiring for an AHL related position in San Diego

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Interesting find, Hoodaha

Now the question becomes does Anaheim petition the AHL offices to outright purchase a New franchise? By this I mean, if Ken Young is not willing to sell the Ads. I guess I'm asking because I don't know how (or who) they could acquire to relocate to San Diego

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Looks like the gears are starting to be set in motion. I'm expecting more blatant news soon.

I agree. You wouldn't think that they'd be hiring if they were still out looking for an AHL team to buy. Which team is really anyone's guess. You'd think it'd have to be one of the weaker independent teams, right?

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Nice find -- now to see how and whether it holds up. When's the ECHL "deadline" for teams to declare their intentions again? The meetings, or later in Jan?

hkymnky

Feb 17, 2010
Interesting find, Hoodaha

Now the question becomes does Anaheim petition the AHL offices to outright purchase a New franchise? By this I mean, if Ken Young is not willing to sell the Ads. I guess I'm asking because I don't know how (or who) they could acquire to relocate to San Diego

Even though Anaheim is currently affiliated with Norfolk, there's nothing forcing Anaheim to buy the Ads or for Ken Young to sell. I suspect there are enough weak independent teams out there for Anaheim to pick up a team without resorting to the league strong-arming an owner.

As for the identity of said team, I'm guessing one of the following:

Albany - A long time cellar dweller with abysmal attendance and an absentee owner/affiliate that is in need of a cash infusion.

Binghamton - A small market team with independent owners who may want out of a league that appears poised to leave them behind.

Springfield - A perennial relocation candidate with low attendance, poor management, a revolving cast of affiliates, and an owner who only seems interested in giving his daughter executive experience.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Even though Anaheim is currently affiliated with Norfolk, there's nothing forcing Anaheim to buy the Ads or for Ken Young to sell. I suspect there are enough weak independent teams out there for Anaheim to pick up a team without resorting to the league strong-arming an owner.

As for the identity of said team, I'm guessing one of the following:

Albany - A long time cellar dweller with abysmal attendance and an absentee owner/affiliate that is in need of a cash infusion.

Binghamton - A small market team with independent owners who may want out of a league that appears poised to leave them behind.

Springfield - A perennial relocation candidate with low attendance, poor management, a revolving cast of affiliates, and an owner who only seems interested in giving his daughter executive experience.

Albany is owned by the Devils. Both Springfield and Binghamton have solid local ownership. I suggest guessing again.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Nice find -- now to see how and whether it holds up. When's the ECHL "deadline" for teams to declare their intentions again? The meetings, or later in Jan?

From Mayor's Manor:

There is a major milestone coming up centering on the entire “AHL comes West” plan. On Dec. 22, the ECHL must be notified of plans for the 2015-16 season… and then, approximately 30 days later, the ECHL would vote on that information at their next league meeting (scheduled to take place around Jan. 21, in conjunction with the ECHL All-Star Game in Orlando, Fla.).

The late January date lines up with when the Oilers said the AHL would have an announcement about AHL West, divisional play and number of games.

Last edited:

hkymnky

Feb 17, 2010
Albany is owned by the Devils. Both Springfield and Binghamton have solid local ownership. I suggest guessing again.

There's nothing that says that the Devils can't sell their team. St. Louis sold their team (Peoria) to Vancouver last summer, so there's plenty of precedent.

As for Binghamton and Springfield...its speculation based a number of factors that have been discussed at length in the Western AHL mini-mega thread.

However, I'd be curious to know who you think is to be sold to Anaheim...

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
There's nothing that says that the Devils can't sell their team. St. Louis sold their team (Peoria) to Vancouver last summer, so there's plenty of precedent.

As for Binghamton and Springfield...its speculation based a number of factors that have been discussed at length in the Western AHL mini-mega thread.

However, I'd be curious to know who you think is to be sold to Anaheim...

Please stop. They aren't selling. St Louis doesn't want to own an AHL franchise, having sold the one that they've owned not once but twice because on two separate occasions they've had a franchise thrust upon them by people that no longer wanted the franchise and owed the Blues a ton of money. The two situations are not comparable at all.

I don't think anyone is selling to Anaheim. When the dust settles on "AHL west" I think they're going to be exactly where they now: not owning an AHL franchise.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's not out of the question that the AHL expands beyond 30 teams. The AHL has no rules preventing the league from being larger than the NHL, the only rule about expansion of the league I believe is that all NEW franchises have an NHL affiliation.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
It's not out of the question that the AHL expands beyond 30 teams. The AHL has no rules preventing the league from being larger than the NHL, the only rule about expansion of the league I believe is that all NEW franchises have an NHL affiliation.

It's out of the question as long as more than 1/3rd of the teams are owned by non-NHL entities. Expansion needs (or at least the last time the AHL expanded) a 2/3rds majority vote by the Board of Governors to add teams. As soon as there are more AHL teams than NHL teams the value of all AHL franchises plummets. No independent team owner is going to vote to cut the value of his team by 50% or more.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's out of the question as long as more than 1/3rd of the teams are owned by non-NHL entities. Expansion needs (or at least the last time the AHL expanded) a 2/3rds majority vote by the Board of Governors to add teams. As soon as there are more AHL teams than NHL teams the value of all AHL franchises plummets. No independent team owner is going to vote to cut the value of his team by 50% or more.
Please, we all know that if the NHL wants this AHL west division bad enough it is going to happen. Especially since NHL expansion is also probable.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Please, we all know that if the NHL wants this AHL west division bad enough it is going to happen. Especially since NHL expansion is also probable.

"AHL West" happening and a 31st AHL franchise are not the same thing.

Once the NHL expands it's a real safe bet the AHL will follow, but that keeps the value of AHL franchises because it will still be 1:1.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
"AHL West" happening and a 31st AHL franchise are not the same thing.

Once the NHL expands it's a real safe bet the AHL will follow, but that keeps the value of AHL franchises because it will still be 1:1.
My point was that if no independent franchise is willing to sell or relocate they will add a team, you can bank on that.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I don't think it's likely to happen in this case, but it amuses me how people conveniently forget the "temporary franchise" granted to create the T-Stars in 2009 when talking about the impossibility of some scenarios.

hkymnky

Feb 17, 2010
I don't think anyone is selling to Anaheim. When the dust settles on "AHL west" I think they're going to be exactly where they now: not owning an AHL franchise.

If the Ducks aren't buying an AHL franchise then why are they looking to hire an executive assistant for an AHL team in San Diego (as per the first post in this thread)? There's a building body of evidence that Anaheim has either purchased a team or intends to soon. So the question remains...who?

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
If the Ducks aren't buying an AHL franchise then why are they looking to hire an executive assistant for an AHL team in San Diego (as per the first post in this thread)? There's a building body of evidence that Anaheim has either purchased a team or intends to soon. So the question remains...who?

Good point. Why would the Ducks hire for a nonexistent AHL team that they don't/won't own?

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
I don't think it's likely to happen in this case, but it amuses me how people conveniently forget the "temporary franchise" granted to create the T-Stars in 2009 when talking about the impossibility of some scenarios.

Hans, without looking at the 2009 standings, were there 30 AHL teams then?

You are correct....nothing would surprise me.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Hans, without looking at the 2009 standings, were there 30 AHL teams then?

You are correct....nothing would surprise me.

Anything can happen, but I'd put it in the very unlikely category. There are plenty of AHL teams out there for Anaheim to make offers on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad